princton tec tec 40

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
You might try a piece of aluminum foil in the tail of the light.

Some batteries have a little different length. Some of the guys were doing this with rechargeable batteries. I have experienced this with some brands of batteries while other brands work fine.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is weird. I have a 3 cell krypton bulb in mine but haven't used it enough to have even replaced the batteries yet. Just to show off to people.

So, when you try to fire it up with fresh rechargeable or alk batteries, it just doesn't come on at all? It doesn't flicker or anything? But then if you put in used batteries it works fine?

Strange.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Did you try the foil in the tail?

edit: I may be wrong, but it won't cost you anythink to try it.

It seems like a contact issue to me and this is a fairly common issue with the Tec 40. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

It is strange that the "same" batteries do this.

second edit: I've been thinking about this. It seems like a contact issue with the batteries. You might try rubing the positive and negative contacts of the batteries with steel wool.

Please let us know how this turns out.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
mossyoak.....It has to be just coincidence that this has happened the few times you've tried it. The problem is definitely a contact issue. Do as Hoghead suggested and put a small wad of aluminum foil all the way down into the body so that it connects both contact points in the bottom. Some versions of the Tec 40 are notorious for having this problem and aluminum foil is the standard cure.

Freshman

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
3 cell krypton bulb

[/ QUOTE ]

More specific please. IS the Krypton bulb brighter than the stock xenon bulb?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run regular alks in mine but it hasn't flashed. I doubt I have an hour runtime on it, but I've probably turned it off and on well over 100 times.

Freshman, the bulb that comes with the Tec40 is a 4 cell bulb. A Xenon 4 cell bulb will almost always be brighter and whiter than a 4 cell Krypton bulb, but I mentioned running a 3 cell Krypton bulb so you are overdriving the bulb 33%. Not good for bulb life but definately more output. Some have mentioned that some bulbs might touch the lens and the 3 cell bulb touching the lens very well could melt it. The bulb that is in my Tec40 came out of a 3D Mag that, actually, I bought from Nikon who just posted a couple posts up from this one. I've never had a problem and I have run it for at least 2 or 3 minutes at a time.

I also run my 4D Maglites with 3 cell bulbs and I run my 3D Maglites with 4 C cells usually driving a 3 cell bulb.

Usually using 4 cells on a 3 cell Xenon bulb will kill instantly also called an insta-flash. I've never even put Lithiums in my Tec40.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
mossyoak said:
yep but dont have any bulbs

[/ QUOTE ]

Send me your address in a PM and I'll send you some bulbs. I might not be able to mail it today (my wife has my car) and I'll be out of town for the next two days. I'll mail them today if I can, otherwise probably Friday. These are free of charge to you.

These are 6 volt halogen.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... that worked pretty well!

Let me try...

yep but I don't have any BMW M3s

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
cratz2 said:
Wow... that worked pretty well!

Let me try...

yep but I don't have any BMW M3s

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif Wouldn't it be nice if it was always that easy!