Probably a stupid question

DimBeam

Enlightened
Believe it or not I have never changed a lens in a flashlight. I want to pop out the G2 lexan lens and replace it with a glass one from flashlightlens.com. Is it as easy as just poking it out or do I have to do something that requires more care?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try a search on G2 lens or lenses. There have been threads on this, some as recently as within the past week. Some G2's you can change, some you cannot. Depends on how new a model you have.

davidra

Enlightened
Well, the recent thread says use a watch back remover (which I just don't happen to have around) or a wide pair of needlenose (which I do have around but couldn't get to loosen the plastic retaining ring.

code09

Enlightened
This is a very good question actually. I beleived i asked this in a thread as well. I had to change a melted lens, so what i did was i used a pair of scissors, and i opened them up and placed them into the wedges of the plastic retaining ring, and i simply twisted it on. Threw the new lens on, and did the same to tighten. Just becareful that the scissors dont slip and scratch your existing lens (assuming it is still usable) This may not be the best way of doing it, but hey, worked for me just fine

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two bits of advice I got many, many years ago that still works well for almost everything mechanical:

1). If it doesn't come apart relatively easily, it probably means it wasn't meant to come apart and/or it'll break if you try.

2). Never, ever try to over force anything -- much easier to get a bigger hammer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

Some things just are designed not to come apart. Apparently, some of the newer G2's fit this category.

I personally would not try it, but have heard of folks taking their lights, sealing them in a heavy duty plastic bag (heavy duty AND water tight) and putting them in hot water for a short time to loosen the adhesive (if any) on the light and/or to expand the materials to allow for removal. Sounds a tad extreme to me and probably not worth it to me to try it on a G2. There are other lights that changing a lens on would be easier and probably have more beneficial time/results ratios, but YMMV.