Problem with a Surefire A2

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened
Maybe someone out there in Flashlightland can help . . .

My Dad's A2 will only work in the "high-beam" mode. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Both the LED's and the incan will run but it won't run
on just the LED's. It doesn't matter if you twist the
tailcap or try to depress the switch. Either way it's
high-beam only.

Is there a problem with the switch? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Is there a problem with the electronics? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Does anyone know of this happening to anyone else? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I'll call SureFire tomorrow and see what they suggest.

Thanks for any assistance or suggestions you can offer!

"Lux"/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Problem with my Dad\'s A2

I think there is a problem with the switch, my L1 recently would stay in high beam mode as well. When I called SF, they said they were having problems on the tailcap.

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened

I switched tailcaps on the A2 and it works fine now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll call SureFire and see if they'll send me a new tailcap.
(I'm sure they will).

I'll post an update and tell you how things turn out!

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

mine only works in low beam because all the little metal tabs broke off. its coming to three months and i'm still waiting for my replacement A2 tailcap to come /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

mine came with the older tailcap....i'm hoping they've gotten all the problems worked out with the new ones. btw to anyone here who has had surefire send them a replacement A2/L1 tailcap, how long did it take for the part to arrive?

Raindrop

Enlightened

Chamenos,

I have had an A2 replacement switch on order for 5 weeks now. Fortunately I have several spares I purchased off the forums and one of my first A2s came with an extra so the light was never really out of service.

Lux,

As far as the problem with your hi~lo beam I have noticed that the A2 seems to be very particular about contact points. I recently purchased a "used" White A2 and a Green A2. I had another friend that was looking to get a deal on an A2 and I wanted to keep the short clip A2 body on the Green and sell the long clip with the White. When I tried the Green Bezel assembly on the White the incandescent wouldn't light up ?? Checked the fit, cleaned and relubed and it still wouldn't work??? Ended up just changing out the clips but quite intriguing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

raindrop: do you have any more new version tailcaps lying around that you don't need? i'm thinking of purchasing one myself since its taking surefire so long to get one to me.

Raindrop

Enlightened

Chamenos,

Need is a subjective thing. I have been buying them because Surefire is so slow and the A2 is the light I tend to carry around on a daily basis. I used to carry a McLux, but when I discovered a scratch in the EN finish I decided to not carry it during the daytime when I tend to put more things in my pocket.

As far as the switch, if your light is down I would be more than happy to mail you one of mine and have you replace it at a later date when Surefire gets around to sending them out. I don't want to sell it outright because it took a little effort to accumulate them.

~Greg

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds like the resistor in the tailcap is blown or the path for the lowbeam is not being completed. I would put an ohm meter on the tailcap switch. It should be about 10 ohms IIRC on low, and no resistance on high.

CM

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

greg: many thanks for the kind offer....i think i'll try waiting for a few more weeks to see if the tailcap comes in the mail instead of troubling you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif the A2 was the light i used all the time as well before the tailcap crapped out on me. is the reason you stocked up on the tailcaps because they tend to get spoilt easily?

Raindrop

Enlightened

Chamenos,

I have "several" A2s and given that Surefire seems to have a shortage of switches I decided I didn't want to rely on them sending a switch out rightaway in order to have the light up and running. I keep a Green A2, along with a custom white bezel assembly and a spare switch along with an SC3 in my "travel bag". That way if the light dropped out when I am on a business trip I wouldn't lose the use of the light.

I did call Surefire again yesterday and the customer service rep couldn't find a record of my warranty switch request so they were resubmitting the request. Let me know if you don't get one soon.

~Greg

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

will do greg, thanks once again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif if i don't get the switch by next week i'll email them again.

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened

The SureFire customer service lady says that
they will mail me a new tailcap for my A2 ASAP.

The waiting begins . . .

I hope that it gets here soon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

i don't mean to be a wet blanket but that's what i was told the last two times as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif good luck to you anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peter Atwood

Enlightened

I just purchased an A2 and am having problems with it not lighting up at all. I thought maybe the batteries were bad and switched to a brand new set but it still didn't work. Then I put the old batteries back in and all of a sudden it started working fine and stayed that way for about 2 weeks. Then it suddenly quit again yesterday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif SF gets a call tomorrow.......

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

are both the LEDs and bulb inactive or just the bulb? you could try screwing down the bezel tighter...perhaps the contacts aren't making contact properly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Al should be able to point you in a safe direction for fixing defective SF lights.

I'm sure he will show up soon.

machulu

Newly Enlightened

chamenos,

I actually sent my A2 back to Surefire about 3 weeks ago. It turns out it was also a tailcap problem and took about a 5 to 6 business days for them to send my light back after I initially mailed it.

Hope that helps,

~Stephen