Problem with expensive lights

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi, my question first:

Has anyone ever not used an expensive light like SF, Inova X5T, ARC LS etc and used a cheap light for "dirty" work?

Ok, my neighbor was out working on his car tonight and he was trying to use the lights mounted along side his garage. Of course, being a flashaholic I just about pulled out my M2 I was carrying at the time. Then reality hit...."hmm" I thought...."this is a job for a maglite!"

I told him I'll bring a flashlight and got a couple 3D mags and a 150w 120v floodlight. In any event, have you ever worried about an expensive light getting "character marks"? Or do you get your moneys worth and let them earn their money even if it means banging up your SF M6?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Hmmm...I can't comment on the M6 but I'll use my EDC Arc AAA for anything, and have. It has a few character marks, but those aern't from using it--they're from when I did something real stupid.

I guess it's a fine line. If it came to a job where the light was just going to get really dirty I'd go for it, you can always clean it later (I mean they are waterproof) but if I knew it was going to get seriously and badly banged up in 1 job--I'd probably go with a Mag or similar light.

Now a light getting seriously banged up over a long period of time? That's a totally different and completely acceptical situation.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The ARCs are cool, I don't feel guilty using them for anything. I have 9 of them and gave away many to my friends. I still have a couple that is scuffed up and some that I will keep in new condition.

Duty gear is a whole different ball game(police or Fire). You better have battle scars on all your gear or you'll be harrassed until you get some!

Darell

Flashaholic
wavey.gif
Yo, over here. Guilty.

I'm the same way in the situation you describe. I don't mind if *I* bang up a nice light, I just don't want *others* to have that pleasure. Most of the people I lend lights to would probably soil themselves if they knew how much they cost. Even the ones that cost $25.

I was at a party with a bunch of parents and their kids. I was using two lights to assist in the cleanup (we were outdoors in a park). One of the kids wanted to "hold" one of them, but then took off running with the thing and ended up throwing it at my dog
frown.gif
. When I yelled at the kid, the kid's mom told me I shouldn't make such a big deal about a flashlight. Regardless of the fact that I was ALSO pissed about the little booger beaning my dog, the light he threw, of course, was an Arc LS.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

YAY! I'm not alone....phew, that's why I like this place
smile.gif

WHY did you let that kid run off with an LS? ARGH, I feel your pain....Mag AAs were made for kids
smile.gif

I think that is the main thing, I don't mind getting use out of my lights, but most and I do mean MOST people have no idea that flashlights are now a technological marvel costing mega bucks. When they think flahslight, they think $15 for a mag. I've had many people say that to me, "calm down it's only a flashlight" when I dive after my 9AN rolling off a table (no anti roll bezel
frown.gif
)

im2smrt4u

Newly Enlightened
Most people think Mag is the "high end" of flashlights. Not long ago I thought I'd never need another flashlight with my mag and photon IIs!
shocked.gif

I'm always worried about any of my gadgets/tools/etc getting damaged no matter what, but the HA finish on my E2 seems to take a beating quite well!

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cringe showing off an expensive light to some of my friends sometimes, you know the ones. They seem to break everything they touch. You just know if you hand them that M6 it's going straight down on the concrete!
icon15.gif

As for dirty work, that's why I have mag-lites & my PT Surge.

I like carrying my 10X more just because it's compasite nitrolon. It's like since it's plastic, I don't worry about scratching it. When I would carry my M6 I was worried I might scratch it or something.
rolleyes.gif
What's the point.
tongue.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hee hee - I guess for many of us, the Surefires, Arcs and specialty mods will remain "Glass Showcase" and curio items to take out and play with and/or used with a measured carefulness, due their cost and/or rarity.

This will probably continue when the day comes that we'll be able to buy a 120-lumen 5W luxeon flashlight for $20 at the local Walmart. As for the Surefires, well - they were never meant to be babied. And if you're using them for work and you pop bulbs once a week in the line of duty, it certainly takes some sting out of using them knowing (sometimes) that Uncle Sam foots the bill for those expensive HOLAs.

In most cases, if my pocket allows it, I'll buy 2 of any light - one to bash and the other to coddle in a showcase
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Originally posted by hotfoot:
In most cases, if my pocket allows it, I'll buy 2 of any light - one to bash and the other to coddle in a showcase
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's my problem
frown.gif

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, mags are for work. there are times that i don't have a mag or snakelight handy so the E1E or the M2 gets used. after the first GOOD ding(s) i put in in my SF lights i lightened up a bit and don't worry SO much.

Saaby

Flashaholic
So is our new saying "Bye 2 of both of them"

Darell, is that Arc LS, nevermind...(*E* No, it's not)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Growing up, I had a friend who was a really hot surfer. One day he shows up at the beach with a brand new board. Before waxing it, he grabs a rock and puts a ding in the board! We all start hammering on him and he just looks at us and says: " Hey, I want to surf! Not worry about getting the first ding in my new board!"............. Show cases require dusting, yuck.

Darell

Flashaholic
Whoa there Don. *When* exactly did you grow up? Are we to really believe the rest of your story???

Ryan - though I have yet to figure out the *E* part of your message - NO, the kiddie-tossed LS isn't the one on its way to Utah. Everybody who gets lights from me always seems to worry about them being in the toilet and up my daughters nose and such. You guys need to realize that those are the lights that are special to me. I'd never part with them!

Gundam

Newly Enlightened
i have the same reservations for a new light, no scratches, packed in nice foam when in your pocket, but u see when it gets scratches it will give it the hardy look and feel the kind of 'been there, done that'

not too long after i got conscripted, i got myself a SF 6P, honestly i didn't know what i was in for, but after using it in thailand during a training stint and other places the chips and scratches developed i realised i love it even more!!
smile.gif

llvo

Enlightened
Well, after getting the first scratch on my surefire D3, I started using it more often!
rolleyes.gif

The E2 remains in the box now...

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fortunately for me the only light I have left that I "worry" about is my 10X, and as I said since it's composite I don't worry about it like I did my M6.
smile.gif

All my others are used as needed without worry. That's why I had to sell some of my "tropy case lights". Seemed silly to have these cool lights I didn't want to scratch or drop.
frown.gif

Although, taking care of them sure helps when/if you decide to sell one though.
icon15.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
If I lend someone a SureFire and they break it, PK will get it in the neck cos it shows me up.
I'm not bothered by character mark or such since my tools are used. There are many applications where the E2e isn't the most appropriate flashlight. I'll use the E1/2e+KL1 for practically all illumination requirements that don't require long range beams.

I have six flashlight in what I call my collection. Five display case flashlights (although I don't have them in a display case)

I have a photo of these if anyone would like to see why they are so special. Please email me and I'll send you it.

Al

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i try not to buy anything i'll be afraid to use. sometimes when a gadget arrives i change my mind one way or the other after awhile. usually, i worry at first until the worry wears off. but overall i try not to booger up my gadgets but if it happens it just adds "character".