Problems with Jetbeam C-LE

lightbug

Enlightened
Just received my 2 C-LE lights today. One looks perfect and the 2nd one has a minor scratched spot over the bezel area. Dropped in 2 brand new Maxell akaline batteries, one works and the other one won't turn on. Cleaned the threads throughfully for the non-working one and it still won't fire up. After played around little bit, I realized it was a contact problem with the battery and the bezel. Switched to a Duracell Akaline, and both lights worked (Duracell batteries is a bit taller).

To slove the contact problem, I used a small piece of aluminum foil and folded it into a round shape, then sticked it down the light's tube (- side of battery). Problem solved!
grinser2.gif

Both of the sponge rings from the 2 lights fell off after a few twist, and the light would rattle without them. One of the light's reflector has a dried glue sticking on it, and there are 2 dark particles stick to the side of the LED die. What a disappointment!!!

The beams are nice and even without tints or donut ring effect like p1d CE, which is good news for those white wall hunters. Overall, I would give the light 3 out 5 (stars)on rating.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both of the sponge rings from the 2 lights fell off after a few twist, and the light would rattle without them.

Same here, I just dropped it onto the battery...not gonna be switching cells out every 5 minutes so it's not a problem.

Other than that the light is perfect, an absolute bargain for the $26 I paid.

CFU

lightbug

Enlightened
Finally it is dark here, so I compared the C-LE with my other lights inside my house. I didn't take any pictures, because my tiny digital camera is kinda suck in dark. On high mode with akaline batteries, the Jetbeam C-LE is a little bit less bright than my Fenix p1 (not CE), also a little dimmer than my Elly 1AA cree p4 mod, but much dimmer than my 2AA Elly mod. I was hoping the C-LE to be at least brighter than Fenix p1, but it is NOT. :awman:
If my Fenix p1 is 45 lumens, I think the C-LE is probably 38 to 40 Lumens.
VERY disappointed :mecry:

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you try a ceiling-bounce test? In a dark room with a white ceiling, shine the lights alternately at the ceiling. Which one lights your work area better? This is the light with more lumens.

Typically crees spill better, and if it has a textured reflector even more. A Fenix P1 will throw a spot and spill less, so it may appear brighter at the throw spot.

I always like to have a nice spiller in my arsenal.

lightbug

Enlightened
One thing I forgot to mention is during the test I used only Akaline batteries.
1.5v lithium batteries (ie. Energizer E2 lithium AA) should be able to boost the brightness up another 60% to 80%.

Newuser01

Enlightened
lightbug said:
1.5v lithium batteries (ie. Energizer E2 lithium AA) should be able to boost the brightness up another 60% to 80%.
:huh2:

It may boost some but shold not be that much. 1.5 V VS 1.7 V norminal.
Now beam shots between this and well known lights is what is needed for this thread. (IE P1, P1D-CE, L1D-CE, 3AA MAG LED ETC....ETC....):rant::rant::rant:

Cheers.

gunga

Flashaholic
Doesn't that depend on how regulated the light is?

Alkaline and nimH should be similar when first tried. Should be different after 20-30 minutes...

lightbug

Enlightened
Engrpaul,

I just did the white ceiling test as you said. The C-LE looks much whiter and even little brighter than my Fenix p1(!!!???). My white P1 looks little bit brownish next to the C-LE :sweat:

Last edited:

greenstuffs

Banned
Damn you can't expect a $26 light do more than that, all these waiting should deserve better prize. I would still like to see beamshots compared to the L1D CE on Alkalines and/or NiMH.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can do a little test to determine how well it is regulated.

Gather a 1.2V NiMH, a 1.5V Alkaline, and a 1.7V Lithium. Check they are fresh.

Connect each battery to the terminals using a digital multimeter on the highest current setting (20A usually, sometimes you need to move the red cable to the spot that says "20A")

If the current goes up as the battery voltage goes up, it's not regulated. If the current goes down as the voltage goes up, it's regulated.

In another words, the current drawn from the NiMH battery will be more than that drawn by the Lithium battery if it's regulated.

lightbug

Enlightened
LOL, all I have are Akaline 1.5v and some CR123A batteries. I don't have any other type of batteries, nor do I have a multi-meter.

Last edited:

Newuser01

Enlightened
lightbug said:
Newuser01,
Take a look of the following link and you'll see what I am talking about.https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/148998
. said:
MXDL 1W "Elly" XR-E mod - Kirkland alkaline AA: 845 (est 60.36 lumens)
MXDL 1W "Elly" XR-E mod - Energizer E2 lithium: 951 (est 67.93 lumens)
MXDL 1W "Elly" XR-E mod - Duracell 2650mAh Ni-MH: 840 (est 60 lumens)
Ok, according to this, the Energizer E2 lithium produce about 13% more lumens. not 60 or 80 %.
[And the one that produce 99 lumens is with 3V Lithium. And this light does not take 3V so you cant use 3V Lithium. :poof:

All of this is for "
MXDL 1W "Elly" XR-E mod", so there is really no point. You actually have to run new run times and lumen measurements since this light has different circuit, reflector, glass....etc.

So, original statement still stands. "beam shots between this and well known lights is what is needed for this thread. (IE P1, P1D-CE, L1D-CE, 3AA MAG LED ETC....ETC....):rant::rant::rant:"
Cheers.
And we are talking about this light, right?
jetbeamclecpfom2.jpg

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, since you have about half the battery voltage of a P1, you would expect to have about half the drive power. The emitter efficiency at 2X a Luxeon should bring it back up to the brightness of a P1. If there's more overall light output than the P1, it ain't all bad!

lightbug

Enlightened
Newuser01 said:
Ok, according to this, the Energizer E2 lithium produce about 13% more lumens. not 60 or 80 %.
[And the one that produce 99 lumens is with 3V Lithium. And this light does not take 3V so you cant use 3V Lithium. :poof:

That's because they only measured the output for the first few initial minutes.
If they do the measurement in the middle of graph (half way), then the output lumens going to be much more different for 1.5vakaline and l.7v lithium.

Last edited: