Probulb by LEDCorp?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering if anyone has tried the ProBulbs from LEDCorp? I assume these are Luxeon Stars? If so, looking at Brock's notes on the Arc-LS, these should be fairly bright. They note a 100hr life with 3-D cells, so I'm thinking that a 2D Maglite with (2) 3V Lithium D Cells should be bright, last a very long time and have a very long shelf life and be pretty light.
http://www.ledcorp.com/probulb3.html

The math:

(2) Li D Cells 17
(1) Maglite 20 (est)
(1) Pro Series PS3-4 40
--

Thoughts?

-john

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John N:
I was wondering if anyone has tried the ProBulbs from LEDCorp? I assume these are Luxeon Stars? If so, looking at Brock's notes on the Arc-LS, these should be fairly bright. They note a 100hr life with 3-D cells, so I'm thinking that a 2D Maglite with (2) 3V Lithium D Cells should be bright, last a very long time<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm... You might have a problem running the LS bulb on 6 volts vs. the 4.5 volts it was designed for.
If it doesn't explode right away, yes it will be bright, and may even be comparable to the original lamp in total intensity during its all-too-brief life, but I fear the poor LS would release its built-in supply of smoke fairly quickly (or immediately) with that setup.

I think they do make a 4-cell model, and that one might be more appropriate for your application; especially considering lithiums have a fairly flat discharge curve when compared to alkalines. So it should stay near its maximum intensity for much, if not most of the battery life; and you wouldn't risk smoking a $40 lamp.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
Hmmm... You might have a problem running the LS bulb on 6 volts vs. the 4.5 volts it was designed for.
If it doesn't explode right away, yes it will be bright, and may even be comparable to the original lamp in total intensity during its all-too-brief life, but I fear the poor LS would release its built-in supply of smoke fairly quickly (or immediately) with that setup.

I think they do make a 4-cell model, and that one might be more appropriate for your application; especially considering lithiums have a fairly flat discharge curve when compared to alkalines. So it should stay near its maximum intensity for much, if not most of the battery life; and you wouldn't risk smoking a $40 lamp.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I probably didn't state it well, but I was thinking of running the 4 cell bulb with 2 Li cells. I assume that should work out.

-john