Professional battery tester

**DONOTDELETE**

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:
Ted, it must be your magic pixels again ......

lightlover
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
grin.gif
quoted for saying nothing! this must be a cpf first, they're sure to renew my zen license for this one..
grin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Empath:
A very good clue would to be separate settings for the different sizes of 1.5V batteries. Different sizes should test under different loads. More separate settings would be indicative of a greater concern for accuracy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
..which I found out when I tried using the DM that worked fine on aa cells, to test a mercury button cell that had been running my cat's transmitter just fine for longer than the others; it read ''00" -- anyone know of a good button cell
(under load) tester?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted the Led:
Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:
[qb
grin.gif
quoted for saying nothing! this must be a cpf first, they're sure to renew my zen license for this
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> ''00" -- anyone know of a good button cell
(under load) tester?
Ted-all you need to test button cells is any meter that provides a 1mA load @ 1.5v.
-Btw, out of curiosity, what load value does your Craftsman DMM provide for testing your AAs?
confused.gif

**DONOTDELETE**

Newly Enlightened
[/QUOTE]
Ted-all you need to test button cells is any meter that provides a 1mA load @ 1.5v.
-Btw, out of curiosity, what load value does your Craftsman DMM provide for testing your AAs?
confused.gif
[/QB][/QUOTE]
I don't know. I'll see if I can scare up the Craftsman manual tomorrow..how would I go about supplying a 1 ma load for the button cell? A resistor? What size? Without load the DM says the (must be nearly exhausted) button cell is 1.59 volts; good as new, but we know better...

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted the Led:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
confused.gif
[/QUOTE]
I don't know. I'll see if I can scare up the Craftsman manual tomorrow..how would I go about supplying a 1 ma load for the button cell? A resistor? What size? Without load the DM says the (must be nearly exhausted) button cell is 1.59 volts; good as new, but we know better...[/QB][/QUOTE]

Info you didn't ask for, but 99.999% of all the DMMs I've seen (w/batt.test feature) will test 1.5v @ 1mA and 9v. @ 10mA.
-You also have a very interesting meter....one that measures 1.59v for a mercury cell?!?
confused.gif
tongue.gif

Incidentally, that cheap $15. analog meter that R.S. sells lets you choose between 1mA load for button cells, and 150mA load for AAs, AAAs, Cs, etc...

**DONOTDELETE**

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vcal:
Info you didn't ask for, but 99.999% of all the DMMs I've seen (w/batt.test feature) will test 1.5v @ 1mA and 9v. @ 10mA.
-You also have a very interesting meter....one that measures 1.59v for a mercury cell?!?
confused.gif
tongue.gif

Incidentally, that cheap $15. analog meter that R.S. sells lets you choose between 1mA load for button cells, and 150mA load for AAs, AAAs, Cs, etc...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
oops my error, it's not a mercury cell it's a Radio Shack 393 silver-oxide..I re-measured two batteries, one old, one new, on each of three meters. Here are the results:
Beckman HD-110 old; 1.592v /new;1.609v
Centech old; 1.60v / new; 1.61v
Sears (using volt reading,not battery test)
old; 1.568v / new; 1.588v
Sears (using battery test feature);
old;1.180v and dropping fast! / new; 1.332
...I think what I did wrong when I got the zero measurement was, I grabbed the leads from a different meter
tongue.gif
-- or-- I forgot to switch the leads on the Sears to the test position (there is a separate hole) when using the test position on the dial...but I got it right this time, I think...

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread would probably fit better in the battery forum, but it seems to me, if someone had a list of what would be the correct resistance load for each size battery, a tester could be made with an inexpensive digital volt/ohm meter & a variable resistor. TX

**DONOTDELETE**

Newly Enlightened
yes, Larry;                  
the Sears Craftsman 82-026 DM has two battery test positions, 1.5 and 9 volts...readings out to THREE decimal places...
and yes it tests under load, and, only $13 more than the tester you ordered...sometimes even cheaper when on sale... plus it'll measure up to 20 DC amps...and all the other usual digital multimeter ranges...

Larry R. Pace

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot guys!! Especially, Michael Hansen...I have already ordered the 1.5 aa tester from Boling!! I really do like this site. Does a DMM test batteries? See how dumb I am! Larry

Larry R. Pace

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info Ted! I will check into the 82-026 dm. I will probably get it too since it checks batteries even better than what I ordered. If you wanted a dm to just check batteries is there a specific one you would get? Thanks!

**DONOTDELETE**

Newly Enlightened
yeah! the Sears...it's the cheapest full featured DM I've found. Mine has been working outdoors for a couple of years, in a doghouse, connected to my battery bank, by the ocean, untill I rediscovered it's battery test feature! Now it's replaced with the $7 Centech...