Professional battery tester

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I would also like to know what battery testers exist out there?

I have a digital multi meter, will that work? And on what settings?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course, any worthwhile tester has to be able to test the battery under load. Radio Shack has a reliable analog one (#22-090), and a new digital one (#22-091)-$18.US.

The DMM won't really tell you the true condition of the cell if it doesn't have a "batt test" selection on it. (otherwise, you'll only read open (no load) circuit voltage).

Empath

Flashaholic
The digital tester from Radio Shack seems to be exceptional. I've got it and some analog testers. The analog testers are suppose to be very good, and showing the true condition under load.

I've got a wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer that requires a new battery while testers are still finding it in good condition. The analog testers all show it as good, but the digital tester shows it less than 50 percent. Sometimes I think the load used for testing is too conservative.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vcal:

Of course, any worthwhile tester has to be able to test the battery under load. Radio Shack has a reliable analog one (#22-090), and a new digital one (#22-091)-$18.US.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What does under load mean?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The DMM won't really tell you the true condition of the cell if it doesn't have a "Batt Test" selection on it. (otherwise, you'll only read open (no load) circuit voltage).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am just a simpleton, What do you mean by OPEN?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Newbie:

I am just a simpleton, What do you mean by OPEN?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Under load means when the battery is powering a device, instead of just having it's voltage measured when it's not doing any work.(open circuit)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

An ideal voltage source is an abstract thing that provides constant voltage source no matter what.

A battery can be represented by an ideal voltage source (lets call it Vs) in series with a resistor (lets call it Rs).

When the battery is not being used (no current flowing), the circuit is said to be open.

When you apply some other resistive component Rl to the battery, we say that the battery is under load.

The voltage accross Rl is given by Vs*Rl/(Rs+Rl). You can see that when Rs is much smaller than Rl, the voltage approaches Vs, i.e. the open-circuit voltage. On the other hand, if the load resistance is, for example, equal to Rs, the voltage is just Vs/2.

That's why we want the internal resistance Rs to be as small as possible (as with any output resistance for that matter), and the input resistance of a device to be as high as possible.

I suppose a professional tester will tell you the Rs, Vs, and maybe some other auxiliary stuff.

P.S. is this professional enough for you? Damn I want that toy!

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mad_scientist:

I suppose a professional tester will tell you the Rs, Vs, and maybe some other auxiliary stuff.

P.S. is this professional enough for you? Damn I want that toy!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mr. scientist-you can also suppose that that Fluke has a price that will absolutely make your nose bleed
tongue.gif
blush.gif
grin.gif

Larry R. Pace

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys! I want an analog that shows the battery condition, rather than just green/red. Again, thanks!

Numbers

Enlightened
Just got back from radio shack. Battery tester product no.22-091 does not test batteries under load and does not read out actual voltage, just shows a bar graph indicating relative strength. Also looked at the RS digital multi tester, this item give an actual numerical readout , but according to the salesman does not test "under load". Can someone recommend a reasonably priced tester that tests under load and shows an actual numerical readour?
thanks

Mike

Newly Enlightened
I have an analog battery tester from Radio Shack 22-096. It does test under load. I've been happy with it.

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Numbers:
Just got back from radio shack. Battery tester product no.22-091 does not test batteries under load and does not read out actual voltage, just shows a bar graph indicating relative strength. Also looked at the RS digital multi tester, this item give an actual numerical readout , but according to the salesman does not test "under load". Can someone recommend a reasonably priced tester that tests under load and shows an actual numerical readour?
thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RS battery tester 22-091 does test under load. The LCD representation of a analog meter gives as much as an analog meter.

When taking advantage of RS's "you've got questions, we've got answers", from their salespeople, it's important to recognize that the advantage is in discounting their answers.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted the Led:
the Sears Craftsman 82-026 DM has two battery test positions, 1.5 and 9 volts...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> ...out to two decimal places, too...
...and yes it tests under load, (I just checked) ...in fact this Sears Craftsman unit had been, until just now, relegated to serve out in one of the battery bank dog houses as the voltage meter -- now that I remembered it is the only one I have that test batteries under load I have replaced it with one of Gadget's $7 'Centech Specials' (which do not have a battery test) - with lighted LCD readout of course, for those late PM readings...and the Sears is back on the desk...
smile.gif

Numbers

Enlightened
Sorry about that bad info re testing under load with the RS 22-091. There were none of these units in the store (I was "told" they are a brand new item, not yet in stock) the salesman definately did not have the right answer. I doubt that he has even seen the product.
So, short of (personally) reading the specs is there any obvious way to tell if a battery tester, any brand, has the ability to test under load?
How about a digital multi tester. Do they test under load? Or does it depend on the unit?
thanks

D

**DONOTDELETE**

helllll--lllllooo! is this thing on? testing... test test test, puh puh,..maybe someone put invisible ink in my computer...see my previous post. For $35 you can get an entire DM (that measures up to 20 dc amps btw for you amp-testers) that tests 1.5 and 9 volt batteries UNDER LOAD, out to (edit) three decimal places...I know it tests under load, because you get a higher reading when you use just the volt meter...hello? anyone?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted the Led:
helllll--lllllooo! is this thing on? testing... test test test, puh puh,.....see my previous post...hello? anyone?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
wink.gif
smile.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ted, it must be your magic pixels again ......

lightlover

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Numbers:
So, short of (personally) reading the specs is there any obvious way to tell if a battery tester, any brand, has the ability to test under load? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A very good clue would to be separate settings for the different sizes of 1.5V batteries. Different sizes should test under different loads. More separate settings would be indicative of a greater concern for accuracy.

Gman

Enlightened
Vcal, I'm the proud owner of a Fluke Scopemeter. It's a nice rig but as you say, spendy. I wish it had better battery life, but it's adequate in a pinch. I hardly use all it's capabilities, but the Math and waveform storage functions are nice, as is the built in signal generator.

I think the current price is around $2.5 for it. I also have a Fluke 860 Series Graphical Multimeter and a 87 DMM. All but the Scopemeter is about five years old. The 87 is not their newest, but a nice tool. Sad thing is, since I changed professions I hardly use any of it these days.