Project Aurora: Fistful of Lightning

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am working on a handheld spotlight project and will periodically update progress in this thread. The specs at this point are still in development but I feel confident in saying that when the basic design issues are solved and the prototype is completed, it will be the brightest light of its kind by at least a factor of 3 and as much as 8.

December 28, 2003: Initial prototype design completed. Primary components, alpha stage, machined and prepped for fitting. Light engines selected. Power components selected. Surreal teaser photo:
zzzproject01.jpg

Wilkey

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks nasty. Is it the result of a proof of concept experiment -- one where the bulb melted?

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... The bulb seems to say "Osram HL Xen****". Can't make out the rest.

LukeK

Enlightened
This should be pretty great Ginseng. You're doing a mod much like the one that I've wanted to do for a while, yet didn't have the money for. Mine includes a slightly bigger host though. Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
This project is going to extend out at least a month. There are some technolgies I'm applying that to my knowledge have not been used in the construction of a handheld torch. Needless to say, there are bound to be bumps in the road.

The most significant danger I'm anticipating is detonation of the light engine. I've seen the damage even a small T2.25 G4 bulb can inflict when pushed beyond reason. A T4 G6.35 bulb could become a little grenade if sufficiently "annoyed".

Wilkey

LukeK

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
A T4 G6.35 bulb could become a little grenade if sufficiently "annoyed".

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Holy crap. The aluminum body would protect you from harm wouldn't it?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy Crap... Why do I have a feeling Wilkey is going to push his newly purchased KAN 4/5A batteries to the limits with 30 amps of current draw..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

30 amps times 6 volts under load = 180 watts. Hmm... how about a T4 G9 bulb? Run time in terms of less than 10 mins sounds like absolute fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
The torch body would be protective to those behind the bezel. But the front...I don't know of any way to make that safe. Polycarbonate would melt and I don't know if I can get 3/16" tempered glass in that size. Maybe 1/4".

If I could find a 6V 30A bulb, I'd try it. The hottest 6V bulbs I've found are the 6V 55W H3 and H1 automotive bulbs. These are basically G6.35 bulbs in a metal carrier frame. I think it's possible to remove them from the frame but the pin-glass interface is notoriously weak and subject to breakage.

The challenge is maximizing the output at lower voltages. I can make 20,000 lumens...but I'd need 36V worth of batts to do it. Makes for a rather larger light.

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Project: Aurora

December 30, 2003: Light engine cartridge test fit. Successful. Surreal teaser photo #2.
zzzproject02.jpg

Wilkey

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Project: Aurora

Let's see. 250v times 12A equals . . . how many watts? Holy smoke, Batman. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Uh... 3K watts? You're a bulb holder for 3K watts of heat? Cool! I mean.. that's HOT! I mean... how are you going to focus the beam? With a filament that can take 3K watts, it would be at least 5mm long with 2 mm thick diameter...

Wilkey, try not to get singed? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif We'll be waiting with anticipation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

December 31, 2003: Light engine cartridge installed in test mule. 1/40th power shakedown test. Successful. Lunch expected in 35 minutes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Unreal teaser photo #9
fbee7d90.jpg

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok,
The last photo was a fake. It was a picture of the squash-based torch I built earlier this year. Here is the real stuff.
Surreal teaser photo #3. Not your granny's Energizers. At 30 amps, 575 watts of chemical-electrical power.
zzzproject06.jpg

Surreal teaser photo #4. Part of the charging system. Industrial grade, regulated power supply. 13 amp continuous output.
zzzproject07.jpg

Wilkey

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was looking forward to some baked squash Yum! Yum! I guess this will have to do for now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Thats a mean looking bunch of cells you have there Wilkey and I see the little one has taken to lights in big way and must be the brains and driving force behind Project Aurora /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later
Sway

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

BTW those are flat top cells. How are you going to connect them together? Wire braids? Or just literally soldering them to each other? Are those the KAN 4/5 A cells you ordered earlier? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those are KAN 4/5As. They will be soldered end-to-end into sticks of 4 and joined at the ends with copper bus bars. Sticks of 5 for the medium model.

Coming up next, a first look down the throat of the beast. Sleeping...

Wilkey