Project Aurora: Fistful of Lightning

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Project: Aurora

Oh boy! There's going to be different sized models! Small, Medium and Big?

I figure that the BIG model would have sticks of 8? Wires won't work here, you need solid bars of copper! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can't wait for the pix of the first look! Nice of you to tease us like this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think you'd even have to solder the batteries together. The 30 amps will do the trick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Thanks for the updates and teasers.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wilkey,

I have an extra pair of welding gloves that I can send you, it would make me feel much better for your safety of course. I have to use them in the evening when I'm charging the moon up it's a tuff job but you need the tools to do it.

MOON CHARGER: That's me hunkered over holding the special moon charging unit.
fa1b2bd5.jpg

Let me know if you want them.

Later
Sway

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm.... that the Lightforce Blitz 240..... 9 inch of reflector goodness. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've brighten the picture a lil and here it is:

fa1ac1d1.jpg

I noticed that it's F2.0 for 2 seconds @ ISO 100. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sway,
You are quite the nut! Cool picture /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But my question is...are you charging by the moonlight or charging up the moon!?!

Cheese,
You can be sure I'll be wearing two layers of double thick rubber gloves when I start it up for the first time. I also have a polycarbonate full face shield and bump cap ready to go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Project: Aurora

I am still working on the light engine cartridge so it will be a few more days until I can post a pic. In the mean time, here is Surreal Teaser Photo #5. The only handheld light with a 250V-rated, 7-tumbler security keylock switch
zzzproject08.jpg

Wilkey

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hehe, high power laser type security measures on a light...nice! Think this thing needs it too! Not one to look down the barell of and throw the switch. Never mind seeing spots, you'd probably end up seeing nothing.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Right. I have an 11-month old daughter in the house and she's getting into everything. This is too dangerous to leave without adequate security measures. After all, what if terrorists got a hold of it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

im sure ginseng will make 3 versions:

small

medium and

WTF!!!

Bob

ps love the pic of baby-ginseng!!! gotta show it to Carey asap.

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

So this project of yours, I'm supposed to see it in the sky over here? That why its called Aurora right? Or did you snatch some components from Area 51?

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ginseng,

LOL, great thread. Nice pics of the little one. I have a 5 year old and tried to get her to carry a VEC 138 tonight, no interest, she preferred a little surefire. Eh, have a 2 year that I still have time to mold into the madness.

Sway,

I think Nerd cleaned up the pic nicely and figured you out. So, if the Blitz is used for charging the moon, what light do you use to charge the sun?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bet Sway uses his top secret anti-matter fusion reactor with a anti-darkness emitter! It's the most powerful known to mankind (or any other living thing).

It's more powerful than any nuclear bomb or fusion device made by man. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I suspect Ginseng too, has a few top secret tricks up his sleeve. 30 amps out of 4/5 A's? Parallel cells? Parallel universe (to get enough anti-matter)? Parallel wires to a nearby marine lead acid battery? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pedalinbob,
"WTF"! I love it. Let's call it the "Wow, That Flashlight" version, ok? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ail,
Even better. Area 52.

Cheesy,
Yep. Gotta start them young. She started with a PT Impact, then moved up to a Minimag, L4, 2C, 2D, 3D then the big Vector138. When she's a year, then we'll think about a Kumkang or MaxaBeam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wilkey

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Uh, what's the HID they use on helicoptors? I remember there's one that suppose to do like 5-6 miles. it was 1300 watts I think, in a 12" or bigger reflector... You might want to get that and power it off some good F cells with an appropriate inverter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
cheesehead said:
I suspect Ginseng too, has a few top secret tricks up his sleeve. 30 amps out of 4/5 A's? Parallel cells? Parallel universe (to get enough anti-matter)? Parallel wires to a nearby marine lead acid battery? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really parallel cells if I didn't remember wrongly. Those KAN 4/5 A cells are designed for high output like 30 amps. Sanyo 4/5 A cells are suppose to do slightly better if I'm not wrong, but cost more.

And at the quantity that Wilkey is using, he had better stick to the cheaper ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif That's saying a lot for what he's designing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nerd
That would be Spectrolabs Nightsun pic in this thread.

Nice work with the pic, I must remember to keep TOP SECRET equipment out of view /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Wilkey I eagerly await your next candid photos /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later
Sway

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nerd,

NiMH no less? NiCD get "warm" at 10-30 amps. I would think NiMH would get hot and then explode in a hot molten metal mess. But, if they're designed for high current,...hmm, maybe,...ok,...well, I'll wait patiently for the answers.

cheese

Latest posts