Project Genesis - Sky Lumen Nguyen (It's Here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
vinhnguyen54

vinhnguyen54

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Re: Project Genesis - Sky Lumen Nguyen

Nitrile (Buna-N) $.14/Oring

• Temperature range: Between -65 degrees Fahrenheit and 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Suited for: General purpose seals, such as petroleum oils, water, and some hydraulic fluids. Buna-N is also resistant to tears and abrasive treatment.
  • Deficiencies: Buna-N can have problems with automotive brake fluid, ketones, phosphate ester hydraulic fluids, and nitro and halogenated hydrocarbons. While it is ozone and weather resistant, this resistance is not infallible but can be supported through compounding.
  • Applications: Nitrile functions well in applications that have limited temperature and resistance requirements.

[h=2]Silicone $.39/Oring[/h]
  • Temperature range: Between -120 degrees Fahrenheit and 450 degrees Fahrenheit, although silicone o-rings have been shown to withstand -175 degrees Fahrenheit during short periods of exposure.
  • Deficiencies: Silicone exhibits poor tear resistance, abrasion, and tensile strength. The poor abrasion resistance means they are better suited for static applications than dynamic. They do perform well with water, steam or petroleum fluids, either.
  • Applications: High-temperature fuel injection ports can use silicone o-rings.

Fluorocarbon (Viton) .$90/Oring

• Suited for: Fluorocarbon is an all-around material that can handle a number of applications, especially diverse sealing jobs that involve movement. It is also suited for petroleum oils, silicone fluids and gases, acids and some halogenated hydrocarbons, like carbon tetrachloride.
  • Deficiencies: Fluorocarbon is not recommended for Skydrol, amines, esters, and ethers with low molecular weight and hot hydrofluoric acids.
  • Applications: Fluorocarbon o-rings are very versatile, and features in many different automotive, appliance and chemical processing industries.

Source:
https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/hardware/o-rings-material-makeup/

vinhnguyen54

vinhnguyen54

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter

I guess any Oring will be fine for most of our use but in the end isn't it nice to know you got 7 X $.90 premium best of the best Orings on your light and 3 of which you can always see and fondle with? HAHA may be I am a little obsessed.

vinhnguyen54

vinhnguyen54

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter

Aw crap they only have 32 of the Viton left! I need 700!!! ahha

archimedes

archimedes

Moderator,
Staff member
CPF Supporter
Last edited:
vinhnguyen54

vinhnguyen54

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter

Oring store has exact size and material needed but they are out. Let me call them tomorrow.

B

Bronco

Enlightened
CPF Supporter

Only clicky version shown will be ready at launch. Twisty tail cap + Tactical/Diving head will be launch after.

Vinh, while I expect many of us will be jumping on the first version of this light that’s offered, regardless of its configuration, as a courtesy to those who may only be able to afford one, could you outline exactly how many different unique models you’re initially planning to produce in the reasonably foreseeable future?

vinhnguyen54

vinhnguyen54

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter

Vinh, while I expect many of us will be jumping on the first version of this light that’s offered, regardless of its configuration, as a courtesy to those who may only be able to afford one, could you outline exactly how many different unique models you’re initially planning to produce in the reasonably foreseeable future?

All known info will be ready at launch

knucklegary

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oring store has exact size and material needed but they are out. Let me call them tomorrow.

Vinh,
Take a look at McMaster-Carr online catalog. They stock large quanties, and quality (US mil spec) Viton as well all the other composition orings.

vinhnguyen54

vinhnguyen54

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter

The entire host will be bead blasted and then HA III over for a uniform finished. All sharp edges are rounded off for smooth handling and to minimize anode chip. Expensive measures but we are already this far so might as well go all out. Before this project I didn't know the small attention to details add significant costs.

There will be 54 lights in the first run. All serialized. Buyer will be able to choose their serials. I will keep several serials that are extra special to me.

I have estimated pricing in and its VERY expensive. Much more than I anticipated. I know the prices will turn many away and this light will likely only appeal to true professionals or hardcore enthusiasts but there is simply no way around this for a Made in USA light, with the finest parts and low production number.

Are you guys ready?

Last edited:
AmericanDissent

AmericanDissent

Enlightened

Ready and waiting!!

dotCPF

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter

Ah geeze! 54?! Quite limited indeed!

Patriot

Patriot

Flashaholic

We're definitely ready! Haha!

AmericanDissent

AmericanDissent

Enlightened

The numbers are so steep I am actually intimidated to announce it...

I'm getting at least one no matter what. I'm sure others feel similarly. This isn't just another light, this is supporting my (our) favorite light modder in the very exciting endeavor of bringing a no compromise, very special, unique and meaningful vision to life. Count me in regardless of price!

Last edited:
T

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast

Drum roll....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

id30209

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter

vinhnguyen54

vinhnguyen54

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter

I will reveal full details on the light and begin posting torture tests results soon. But for now lets get over the most difficult part.

These pricing are not set in stones but they should be close:

Single LED version ~ $320

Triple LED version ~ $335

Quad LED version ~ $380

Quad Mule LED version ~ $390

There is a way to get started at $250 which I will reveal later.

dotCPF

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter

That's not too bad. I'll only end up with one, then, probably a rotary.

AmericanDissent said it very well.

AmericanDissent

AmericanDissent

Enlightened

I'll try for one of each, but definitely getting one of the first 54.im guessing 54 is spoken for by you Vinh? :p Had to try!

Status
Not open for further replies.