• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Project Genesis - Sky Lumen Nguyen (It's Here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Re: Project Genesis - Sky Lumen Nguyen

Also went with 7075 for the first 30. Just had to have the premium aluminum. Something about the "As strong as mild steel" factor got me. hahah

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Any difference in pricing between 7075 and whatever comes after?

I think there is some but I don't think its enough to be a deal breaker/maker. Next batch will likely be 2011 type.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

First production photos of the head :)

Solid 2075 bar stock
oVftB3W.jpg

Interior milled out
U80MO9Y.jpg

Prepping for threads
sxU7cWG.jpg

Beautiful solid 2075
WhnPzHV.jpg

Threaded
GhXO4Cb.jpg

1 head is done
h7Vw5vR.jpg

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I am waiting to try out another flat Oring behind the lens so that the lens is fully suspended for best shock resistance. I bang the crap out of the light on my palm but have not done hard drop tests yet with just the front of lens oring and there are no issues. Once flat Oring comes I will check for fitment and video the tests.

Please help me arrange the tests in a chronological order that makes best sense.
Drop test
Drive over test
Water resistance test
Heat test
Freeze test

Keitho

Enlightened

Please help me arrange the tests in a chronological order that makes best sense.
Drop test
Drive over test
Water resistance test
Heat test
Freeze test

In product testing that I've been involved with, I've seen the campaign starting with worst-case shipping shock test (simulate a pissed-off UPS driver, with it in the packaging), then a ring-out of electronic components to find any "infant mortality" of electronics (maybe a few batteries worth of discharge, and a couple hundred clicks of the button). More than absolute hot/cold temps, thermal cycling will also reveal latent electronic defects (a few hot/cold cycles). Vibration testing also tends to shake apart any poor solder joints, near-failure components, etc.; but, for this light, that's probably not a value-added testing expense. The main purpose--you don't want a failure during torture testing to happen due to something that was a latent anomaly in the circuit board, and mistakenly blame the torture test for something that was actually a manufacturing defect.

I'd probably start and end the torture testing with a water resistance test to show that none of the intermediary tests caused the pressure envelope to be compromised. Shock, crush, thermal cycle--order probably doesn't matter. It will be fun, and at the same time it will be devastating to purposefully damage such a beautiful piece of industrial design that you've slaved to create. Keep the camera rolling for us!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

In product testing that I've been involved with, I've seen the campaign starting with worst-case shipping shock test (simulate a pissed-off UPS driver, with it in the packaging), then a ring-out of electronic components to find any "infant mortality" of electronics (maybe a few batteries worth of discharge, and a couple hundred clicks of the button). More than absolute hot/cold temps, thermal cycling will also reveal latent electronic defects (a few hot/cold cycles). Vibration testing also tends to shake apart any poor solder joints, near-failure components, etc.; but, for this light, that's probably not a value-added testing expense. The main purpose--you don't want a failure during torture testing to happen due to something that was a latent anomaly in the circuit board, and mistakenly blame the torture test for something that was actually a manufacturing defect.

I'd probably start and end the torture testing with a water resistance test to show that none of the intermediary tests caused the pressure envelope to be compromised. Shock, crush, thermal cycle--order probably doesn't matter. It will be fun, and at the same time it will be devastating to purposefully damage such a beautiful piece of industrial design that you've slaved to create. Keep the camera rolling for us!

Thanks for the input. I will conduct the tests in these order.

1) Quick water resistance check: Dunk and shake light in 5 gallon bucket of water to make sure all seals are properly in place.

2) Heat test - Let light run unattended outdoor on turbo. Light will get too hot for normal use. We will see if the circuit, LED or switch fail for this worst case scenario.

3) Drop + drive over test: If the light pass this test we know the light is electrically and mechanically sound.

4) Freeze test: Light will be left ON and freeze in water to make sure it can handle Alaska.

5) Final water resistance check: Leave light in 5 gallon bucket water overnight to make sure light seals were not compromised.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

The 2075 aluminum look extra smooth and shinny!

Head
hfgm3dG.jpg

Clicky Tail
W7s76f2.jpg

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Standard production Ti clip
Each hand finished
v9tQQjS.jpg

What a handsome clip!

Would you start producing clips with your emblem on them for other lights? I have modded lights from you, without the V54 signature because budget is tight... but I'd totally buy 2-3 sized titanium clips with your emblem on it, to fit on various lights going forward! Should be a lucrative project I would imagine. Simple, cheap, and I think people would buy them!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

What a handsome clip!

Would you start producing clips with your emblem on them for other lights? I have modded lights from you, without the V54 signature because budget is tight... but I'd totally buy 2-3 sized titanium clips with your emblem on it, to fit on various lights going forward! Should be a lucrative project I would imagine. Simple, cheap, and I think people would buy them!

These custom clips were pricey and it will only work on this light. Every light is different so other than the stamped SS clips that are out there its hard to make a generic one.

Stamped SS clips also tend serves better compared to Ti clips but for this application I found the short stubby Ti clip work perfect as intended.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's about the classiest clip I've ever seen.... Appropriate!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Patriot

Flashaholic

That's looks superb, Vinh. You can definitely see the quality and hand finishing that's gone into that.

EDIT: Also, that little 45° bevel that goes all the way around which even extends to the screw hole window. Just perfect :twothumbs

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

A little rearrangement

1) Quick water resistance check: Dunk and shake light in 5 gallon bucket of water to make sure all seals are properly in place.
2) Heat test - Let light run unattended outdoor on turbo. Light will get too hot for normal use. We will see if the circuit, LED or switch fail for this worst case scenario.
3) Freeze test: Light will be left ON and freeze in water to make sure it can handle Alaska.
4) Drop + drive over test: If the light pass this test we know the light is electrically and mechanically sound.
5) Final water resistance check: Leave light in 5 gallon bucket water overnight to make sure light seals were not compromised.

I potted the light engine so I will have to wait another day fur it to cure before doing test 1 2 and 3 tomorrow. Can't wait for the nerve wrecking drop test.

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast

Handsome pocket clip and nice to see great torture tests being done.

Status
Not open for further replies.