Prometheus Lights alpha Series from Darksucks Info

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again all! Got the GITD swapped out last night and it was a piece of cake... after I knew how it came out. :)

Here she is w/the new button next to my Haiku...

AlphaandHaiku_zpsa9f1339b.jpg

and for a little size reference...

AlphaandHaiku2_zps61cd7fc0.jpg

Thanks for the comparison with that BB Haiku. Looks like it is a lot larger in length and circumference.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
ordered an alpha ready made, very happy, - but when it arrives, can I still send it to frank for reprogramming if needed ?.
thanks.

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You won't be disappointed. The MCE 4500K combined with the Ledil boom is magical. I like the L>M>H with memory. Good runtime. Not the shortest 18650 out there, but certainly one of the best looking and perfoming 18650 lights.

elasmonut

Newly Enlightened
Was so keen I nearly started my own thread but I think this fits here.
I received my Alpha about a month ago and I absolutely flat out love this light.
Ive always been a knife guy and love pocket gadgets and about two years ago started carrying come cheapy chinese lights, found them really handy(dark really does suck) and uprgraded to a little Terralux it was a nice light about 100 lumens compact simple, my main complaint was like many lights it was a bit tacticool, all ribs and sharp lumps which made it awkward to get in and out of my pocket and tore up my pants. I ended up taking to it with a dremel and rounded things off which improved it but I was inspired to see what else was out there.
Searching found lots more tacticool,heavy checkering, massive cooling fins and even DNA collectors..WTF really? I wanted to see in the dark not pretend I'm a ninja infiltrating SEAL team six. Poked around this forum and found Jason's lights, well at the time I kind of balked at the price, mind you my pocket knife cost more than my smart phone so I don't know why really and it was a few more months of checking the site, comparing to others and drooling, before I relented and spent the cash. What really sold me eventually was the seamless blend of detailed simplicity in the design and the rave reviews from guys who clearly knew a lot more about the tech side of flashlights than I did. Also being a knife nut and hobby maker myself, the exquisite precision and execution of machining appealed to me, these factors are of course amplified even more in his personal custom stuff, but my lack of money kind of made the choice for me, Alpha it is.
Like I said I'm no expert or conniseuer like some on here and my hands on experience is limited but this is by FAR the best flashlight I have ever used or handled. It was on unpacking a little bigger than I expected, but when you hold it it just fits your hand, pull it apart and there is no wasted space or extra bits for looks. Something I love in knives as well, take away everything that doesnt make it work better. The machining of even the ready made was impressive not just to me but to the professional machinist friends I showed it to, no flaws, no gaps, no errors, just spot on.
I had read the specs and done enough research to understand them but didnt have much basis for comparison, talking about beam colour, throw , flood, artifact that kind of thing. In use again I was duly impressed, it was by far the brightest hand held light Ive used short of the old halogen spotlights we used to hook up to motorcylce batteries whilst rabbit hunting as a young bloke.It didnt have quite the throw, but turn this thing on high inside, even a wharehouse and you can see..everything. The beam colour is as close to daylight as I have seen from a flaslight, no tint no blue like the cheapies, just real colours. the only thing I've found is if you use high on something close and white you get so much light bouncing back it can be a bit dazzling but thats what the two other settings are for. Outside this will easily light up a backyard or illuminate any tree or balcony you want to look out without using other magnification.
Im sure there are lights out there with more lumens, or better throw, or other features that exeed it( Jasons customs do spring to mind) but for me this is just a fantastic blend of design, form and function. About the only comparison I can make as a knife nut, is my Chris Reeve Sebenza. A design where I feel if you changed anything you would lose something.
My initial concerns about the length were unwarranted as it fits my left front pocket, where it lives, just nicely, and there is always the shorty body for those willing to give up some run time. Ive carried and used it daily and have zero complaints. The only thing close to a complaint I can think of is when it arrived I realised the charger Jason provides wont fit our Aussie wall sockets, I contacted Jason telling him I was too dumb to check that before I bought it and he reminded me that the charger is usb compatible,problem solved.
The availabilty of replacement parts and upgrade bits like seals,shorty bodies and different LEDS just add to the awesome, for anyone thinking of getting one of these, I cant reccomend another better light. Its worth every penny and more, about all I'd say is if you've got the cash get one his betas or customs and there is no possible way you could be dissapointed

JeremyS

Newly Enlightened
I have both the Ready Made and a Blue Lable (Stone finish). I believe the Ready Made is worth the money. In fact, just for purposes of comparison, consider this: An Oveready custom P6 bored to accept 18650 starts at $118; add a UCL lens (which is what the Ready Made uses) $9, SS bezel insert $22, soft-press McClicky $21, and it comes out to $170--but that's without a light engine. Add a Malkoff three-level head M361-LMH ($59) and suddenly you're looking at $229. Now, you can certainly tweek the Oveready build to lower the cost a few bucks, but I think this is a pretty comperably spec'd light. And, I'm not slighting oveready--I actually have that exact build P6--with a hard press McClicky. I think Jason has done a good job pricing his light.

Last edited:

elasmonut

Newly Enlightened
JeremyS when I said I had issues with the price , its only because of my spending habits that result in constantly empty wallet that I had any difficulty.
It was a bit of a jump for me though I went from $5 lights, to $50 lights to a $200 light, but I agree his prices indeed reflect the quality of his product.