ProPolymer Luxeon review - FLR.com

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
[Edit]

I wonder how hard they are driving the Luxeon?

Any idea whether the internal temp stabilizes after 30 minutes or does it keep climbing?

Jon

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
After 1 hour 10 minutes the external temp was about 92 F and the internal module temp seems to have stabilized around 130 F. I think it'll be OK, but time will tell.

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the range of safe high temperatures?

Maybe using the light for shorter periods would protect the led?

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to post my own separate review in this forum, but Quickbeam's review pretty much includes all of the things that I was going to say and more. Here are a couple of new things:

Thermal dissipation

The reflector seems to consist of a large aluminum slug, which will serve to draw heat away from the LED during relatively short durations of use. As for prolonged constant use (30 minutes, 1 hour, etc.), the effectiveness of the cooling will depend upon how well the metal slug can get its heat through the plastic body of the flashlight. The large surface area of the aluminum piece may partially compensate for the poor thermal conductivity of the air and plastic.

Even if this long-time heat dissipation is less than ideal, it may not be relevant to the durability of the flashlight for most users. Why? Because if most people use their flashlight for only a few minutes in a stretch, the transient absorption of heat into the aluminum will keep the Luxeon cool during the brief period of operation. That accumulated energy will then be slowly released through the body while the flashlight is not running.

If the SL 7LED Propolymer had been designed this way, it would have a thick metal ring soldered to the cathode leads of all the LEDs. As far as I remember, it does not have this nor any other kind of transient heatsinking. So we have reason to believe that the Luxeon Propolymer will be more durable in typical use than the 7LED Propolymer.

Safety ratings

I noticed that unlike the SL 7LED Propolymer, the Luxeon version does not have any safety ratings stamped into the body. Streamlight does not advertise any safety ratings for it, either. It is possible that Streamlight may eventually get this flashlight rated, but it does not have any ratings right now.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Looks like the current is pretty low, probably around 333mA's. In your overall output graph it is similar to the original Surefire KL1. It's throw is excellent though. Has a great reflector.

Bill

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Asdalton, well said.

Lithiums are, AFAIK, NOT OK in this light. It says on the packaging to replace with AA alkalines. No other battery forumulations are mentioned.

The max junction temp of the luxeon should be 120 C. (248 F.) The PCB and operating temp shouldn't exceed 105 C. (221 F.) So it would seem that we should be relatively safe if the aluminum slug is up to 54 C. (130 F.), or about half the maximum operating temperature.

Not 100% correct on those numbers - using an old PDF from Lumileds. They may have changed.

EDIT - found the newest PDF - the numbers listed from Lumileds are correct.

snoofer

Newly Enlightened
ARGH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif............And I just purchased a Xenon ProPoly.

And after reading what everyone is posting, I might have to get one.

My dad was amazed by the throw of the PT Tec40 and I was going to give him the choice of my PT Tec40 or this ProPoly Xenon . I love the throw of the Xenon and the switch, (compared to twisting the bezel on the PT 40) but the artifacts are quite visible just outside the beam.

If this Luxeon has just about as much throw as the Xenon, AND a better beam, then theres only one question..............

What do I tell the wife? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

STEVENT6

Enlightened
The throw rating of 54.77 by Quickbeam is what makes this light great. It competes with a lot of other general purpose lights including the 123A lights. I'll bet it runs ok on NIMH.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought this light too, and I have to say I am TOTALLY IMPRESSED!!

Nice pure white light, GREAT PIERCING BEAM.

A Nice, deep, heavy aluminum reflector.

This has to be one of the best production 1-3 watt LS Lights available, at any price!

About the type of battery, since it is regulated, I am guessing that any kind of battery should work, but there would be no benefit of using lithium as the regulation would controll the brightness.

robk

Enlightened
Anybody know if this is being sold by any dealer who takes PayPal? I have a few bucks sitting in my account that I'd like to use up.
Thanks,
Rob

Glow_Worm

Newly Enlightened
I just received this light yesterday based on QB's review, and I think it is indeed very nice. When comparing it side-by-side w/ my LionHeart, the hotspot & corona are astonishingly similar. The Streamlight is in-between the LH brightness settings of 4 & 5, and has a battery life exceeding the LH on either of those settings. Of course, the LH is half the size & weight, but when a $32 light using AA batteries can compare w/ a $200 LiOn light, it earns my respect.

I'll be buying at least one or two more of these for use in my vehicles. A very nice light overall...

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Glow_Worm said:
When comparing it side-by-side w/ my LionHeart, the hotspot & corona are astonishingly similar. The Streamlight is in-between the LH brightness settings of 4 & 5, and has a battery life exceeding the LH on either of those settings. Of course, the LH is half the size & weight, but when a $32 light using AA batteries can compare w/ a $200 LiOn light, it earns my respect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too was amazed at the similarity between my LionHeart beam and the Streamlight beam.

Of course, the lionheart offers multiple levels of brightness, much smaller size, li-on rechargable batteries, and is a custom made work of art.

However, for 30+ bucks or so, WOW what a light!

This light has to be one of the best values in commercial flashlights today!

stringj

Newly Enlightened
Just to add my two cents worth, I received mine last night. I placed the 4 AA NiMH cells that came with the LaCrosse charger in the light. I then turned the light on and ran it, non-stop, for 3.5 hrs. The brightness never seemed to change. I compared this light with my Lion Heart for brightness and it is between settings 3 and 5. Mine has a slight green tint to it which I much prefer to any type of blue tint. I removed the cells after the 3.5 hrs. and placed them in the LaCrosse charger. This morning the charge accepted by the cells (at 500 mAh current) was between 1709 - 1750 mAh. This is an excellent bargain and light.

Jerry

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
can't wait to get mine today, UPS tracking says it should be here this afternoon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif