Protected LiIon batteries in series/parallel

Septeract7

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone
My question is if i can connect protected LiIon batteries (in my case 18650) in series or parallel.
I have searched everywhere but couldnt find anything and I hope someone can answer my question.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everyone
My question is if i can connect protected LiIon batteries (in my case 18650) in series or parallel.
I have searched everywhere but couldnt find anything and I hope someone can answer my question.

Yes...you can arrange them in both ways.

What are you using them for, or in?

When using li-ions in series, it's always a good idea to run protected cells. For parallel applications, protection circuits 'might' be a little of a safety necessity.

Chris

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Yes. A good example is the power packs used in power tools by Makita, Milwaukee Tool, de Walt, etc., where cells will be both in parallel and series. I assume laptops are similar.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. A good example is the power packs used in power tools by Makita, Milwaukee Tool, de Walt, etc., where cells will be both in parallel and series. I assume laptops are similar.

I think that my two HP and Sony laptop packs were 2P4S and 18650s, if that makes any sense? Or would it be 4P2S? Two columns of four cells.

Chris

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I think that my two HP and Sony laptop packs were 2P4S and 18650s, if that makes any sense? Or would it be 4P2S? Two columns of four cells.

Chris

I think so. The Panasonic 18650B's were typically the cells used.