PT Apex clicking/ticking sound when shook.

pmoney

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, this is my first post here, and this site seems like a great resource.

I just received my PT apex from basegear.com. I have a PT vortec which has served me well over 7+ years now. I was getting ready to go backpacking in utah this summer and decided to upgrade.

I've never had a light with the backmounted battery pack...the wire seems a bit strange to me but I'll get used to it.

My question is, when I shake my headlamp or have it on and twist my head rapidly side to side, I get a shaking or clicking noise from the light assembly. It almost seems like something is loose in there. Would I be voiding my warranty if I opened up the light assembly? I might as well check the Dring to see if its seated properly (I have yet to do a dunk test).

I have had a great customer service experience with my vortec, but I really dont want to ship it back out for them to service it...

TIA

pmoney

Newly Enlightened
Just an update.

I called PT up, they transferred me to their warranty guy who said that yeah opening it would void the warranty. But, he said to call the retailer (basegear.com) and see if they would be able to pay for the shipping back to PT. He also said that if they were giving me any hassle they could deal with it for me.

Then he mentioned that this ticking noise is something hes working on one of the lights right now...hes gonna go talk to the line engineer and see what they say.

Its disappointing to have this problem, but the customer service experience has been excellent, even when I cracked the housing on my old vortec by slamming it into some rocks, they repaired it for free.

pmoney

Newly Enlightened
well, I just spoke with the guys who repair the lamps and they said that the shaking is just the two activator switches right underneath the red buttons.

So I guess its not really a problem...at least they say it isn't.:whistle:

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
hello there! good you find about that noise , how the apex is doing for you ? :tinfoil:

pmoney

Newly Enlightened
Well I guess I can post a little follow up. The ticking sound does not seem to be a problem. I was just shaking it and doing water dunk tests when I first got it a month or so ago.

I have taken it backpacking once since I got it, it held up well and the light's power is amazing compared to my old vortec. The wide beam leds are great for around camp work. After burning through the initial made in usa energizers, I have been using digipower 2500mah AA's. I got them because I had a dell coupon for $70 and they had these and a world charger/car charger set. I plan on picking up a set of 2650mah duracells when I go to utah this august. That I will be backpacking for about 2 weeks, and will be in a motel once or twice. We will see how that 'real' test works out.