PT Corona?

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
ringzero said:
Someone - maybe it was you - suggested that the high output on Quad should really be thought of as a temporary boost mode, and that the normal operating mode should be the medium output...

that was me... but really it only applies to alk's... i still need to do a good nimh runtime test... i'll try to get one up for the quad on high with 900mah nimh's..

xcandrew

Newly Enlightened
ringzero said:
You guys have convinced me that neither the PT Quad nor the Petzl Tikka XP will meet my requirements for a light-weight, compact, bright, floody headlamp with a low low level. The Quad lacks a decent low level, and the Tikka XP with diffuser lens won't produce a bright enough flood.

The low on the Quad seems perfect for reading to me. I wouldn't want a dimmer setting. I guess some people like reading in (eye strainingly for me) dim light.

I like the Quad much better than the Eos that I've had for a couple of years (though I haven't tried a reflector mod on the Eos). It'll be interesting to see jar3ds's runtime test with NiMH batteries. NiMh batteries don't seem as bright as alkalines to me in the Quad. The problem I have it is that headlamp season is cold where I live (Alaska), so runtime on high is very short with both alkalines and NiMH. If I could afford lithium batteries, I would probably have no complaint at all. The high setting is what I like to use when xc skiing and running with the Quad, but most of my workouts are about 2 hrs long, so I have to use medium, low, or off most of the time to try to save the high for downhills. If I were at all competent at rigging something up, it would be cool to hook it up with an external battery pack that I could tuck into my jacket pocket.

Last edited:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
xcandrew said:
The low on the Quad seems perfect for reading to me. I wouldn't want a dimmer setting. I guess some people like reading in (eye strainingly for me) dim light.

I like the Quad much better than the Eos that I've had for a couple of years (though I haven't tried a reflector mod on the Eos). It'll be interesting to see jar3ds's runtime test with NiMH batteries. NiMh batteries don't seem as bright as alkalines to me in the Quad. The problem I have it is that headlamp season is cold where I live (Alaska), so runtime on high is very short with both alkalines and NiMH. If I could afford lithium batteries, I would probably have no complaint at all. The high setting is what I like to use when xc skiing and running with the Quad, but most of my workouts are about 2 hrs long, so I have to use medium, low, or off most of the time to try to save the high for downhills. If I were at all competent at rigging something up, it would be cool to hook it up with an external battery pack that I could tuck into my jacket pocket.
shouldn't be a difference in output between any of the battery chemistries with the quad... at least I don't think so since its regulated... maybe since early models drop out of regulation pretty quick the DD curve might be whats giving you that inpression... it'll be interesting to see....

however, I do agree that low on the quad is pretty perfect for reading... Some of us though want a low setting so low that it won't blow our night vision... but the more I learn the more I find the RED light superior to that of low dim white light... so hopefully some headlamps in the future will just have some red LED's along with normal white ones.. :)

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
xcandrew said:

Thanks for the observations on your Quad, xcandrew.

I haven't used a Quad, but judging from its low output figure in lumens, and the comments of other people who have used it, I think the low will be too bright for my tastes.

xcandrew said:
The high setting is what I like to use when xc skiing and running with the Quad, but most of my workouts are about 2 hrs long, so I have to use medium, low, or off most of the time to try to save the high for downhills. If I were at all competent at rigging something up, it would be cool to hook it up with an external battery pack that I could tuck into my jacket pocket.

This mod is very easy to do - so easy that even I can do it, and have done it to several headlamps in the past.

You'll need: A flexible, durable, two-conductor cable. A battery pack that will hold 3 AAA, AA, C, or D cells. A tube of silicone caulk.

Drill a small hole through the plastic case, insert power cable and tie a knot in cable for strain relief. Solder cable conductors to appropriate battery contacts. Seal around cable with silicone caulk for waterproofing. Cut cable to desired length, and solder conductors to battery pack. Finish off by routing the cable around the headband, stitching a couple of cloth loops over the cable.

I'd go with the C cells if you want long runtime. Or, you could terminate the cable with a connector, and rig up 3AA and 3C battery packs with mating connectors. Then, you can choose between runtime and weight, by choosing the appropriate battery pack for the day's activity.

perfectname

Newly Enlightened
Grumpy said:
I have a Corona that I modified with the NICHIA NSPW500CS leds. It makes it a much better light. I would let someone try it out to see if they like it for a deposit. If you don't like it you could just send it back to me and I would refund the deposit minus actual shipping cost to you. If anyone is interested just send me PM.

Not to get too off-topic, but I would be very interested to know how you got yours apart. I have tried to pry mine apart, but it is glued shut pretty tight.