PT Corona?

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys have convinced me that neither the PT Quad nor the Petzl Tikka XP will meet my requirements for a light-weight, compact, bright, floody headlamp with a low low level. The Quad lacks a decent low level, and the Tikka XP with diffuser lens won't produce a bright enough flood.

So, I'm abandoning the requirements that the headlamp be light-weight and compact. That leaves these requirements: bright, floody, and a low low level.

The only headlamp I've been able to find that seems to meet these requirements is the PT Corona. At first I was put off by its complex control system, but after studying it in detail, the controls don't look that hard to use. It looks well designed, with a large external heat sink and decent water proofing.

Anyone have/had a Corona? Love it or hate it, please post your experiences.

downunder

Newly Enlightened
I came to the exact same conclusion as you did and recently bought one. Unfortunately my Corona is in the mail and I won't have it for another week so I can't give you any descriptions of it's real use, but like you I would love to hear from someone who owns and uses a Corona.

Skeeterbytes

Newly Enlightened
I have one, an older model Corona. It's solidly built and as you've determined, actually quite easy to use. However, unless they've upgraded the LEDs with new, brighter ones it's not a very impressive light, outputwise, and the beam in every mode is affected by the typical 5mm purple blob in the center.

A much better light choice would be the MYO XP. The diffuser really flattens and widens the beam and when you need a spotlight you've got a nice collimated Lux by simply flipping it out of the way. It's the Tikka on steroids. (IIRC you prefered an AA light, yes?)

--Rick

p.s. FWIW I really like the Quad for backpacking.

chumley

Enlightened
I've been using a Corona for over 2 years, it works well for me. A couple of months ago a bought a PT Quad, it has replaced the Corona for daily use.

The Quad is lighter and more comfortable, and brighter using rechargable cells. The Corona can be dimmed lower however, so it might be better for what you need.

The Corona is much brighter using lithium cells instead of nimh's, but I like the cost advantage of rechargable batteries.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
downunder said:
I came to the exact same conclusion as you did and recently bought one. Unfortunately my Corona is in the mail and I won't have it for another week so I can't give you any descriptions of it's real use, but like you I would love to hear from someone who owns and uses a Corona.

Thanks for the response downunder.

Don't you just love/hate the anticipation of waiting for a new toy to arrive in the mail? When you've had a chance to try out your new Corona, please post your thoughts here.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Skeeterbytes said:
I have one, an older model Corona. It's solidly built and as you've determined, actually quite easy to use. However, unless they've upgraded the LEDs with new, brighter ones it's not a very impressive light, outputwise, and the beam in every mode is affected by the typical 5mm purple blob in the center.

A much better light choice would be the MYO XP. The diffuser really flattens and widens the beam and when you need a spotlight you've got a nice collimated Lux by simply flipping it out of the way. It's the Tikka on steroids. (IIRC you prefered an AA light, yes?)

--Rick

p.s. FWIW I really like the Quad for backpacking.

Thanks Skeeterbytes.

I was under the impression that the Corona was over 30 lumens output on its highest setting, although with poor throw for a headlamp its size.

I'll read up on the Petzl Myo XP. Was aware of its existence, but had never really considered it for some reason.

Yeah, the Quad looks to be ideal for me, except for not having a decent low setting. I don't know why Princeton Tec insists on setting the low too high on most of their headlamps. A decent low setting is very useful for close up work and reading, and for battery conservation and long runtime. Battery conservation can be critical for ultra-light backpackers, cavers, emergency situations, etc.

Thanks again.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
chumley said:
I've been using a Corona for over 2 years, it works well for me. A couple of months ago a bought a PT Quad, it has replaced the Corona for daily use.

The Quad is lighter and more comfortable, and brighter using rechargable cells. The Corona can be dimmed lower however, so it might be better for what you need.

The Corona is much brighter using lithium cells instead of nimh's, but I like the cost advantage of rechargable batteries.

Thanks for the response chumley.

This is exactly the sort of comparison I was hoping for.

I'm surprised that Quad is brighter than Corona on rechargables, since Corona has 8 LEDs compared to Quad's 4 LEDs. According to the reviews, Corona is much brighter on primaries.

Was aware that Quad is lighter and more compact, as it weighs less than half of Corona.

Thanks again.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Skeeterbytes said:
A much better light choice would be the MYO XP. The diffuser really flattens and widens the beam and when you need a spotlight you've got a nice collimated Lux by simply flipping it out of the way. It's the Tikka on steroids.

Skeeterbytes, I looked up the Myo XP, which leads to the following question:

How long is the coiled part of the cord on Myo XP? Is the cord long enough so that the battery pack can be removed from the headband and placed in a pocket or hooked to belt?

If so, that would be a big advantage for the Myo XP.

Thanks again for the help.

jtice

Flashaholic
Corona would be a great choice if you are after flood light.
I had mine a while and its served me well.

but, if you have a bit extra cash, I highly recommend the Apex.
if has flood, and spot modes.
I was surprised how bright the 4 - 5mm leds could be for flood.

If your only after flood though, the Corona is probably the better choice.

heres my pics of it.
http://www.jtice.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=PTCoronaHeadLamp

~John

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
ringzero said:
Thanks for the response chumley.

This is exactly the sort of comparison I was hoping for.

I'm surprised that Quad is brighter than Corona on rechargables, since Corona has 8 LEDs compared to Quad's 4 LEDs. According to the reviews, Corona is much brighter on primaries.

Was aware that Quad is lighter and more compact, as it weighs less than half of Corona.

Thanks again.
IIRC, the Quad is close to the same brightness as the corona because the quad as the 2x nichia LED's which are twice as bright... i don't believe the corona is upgraded yet...

Skeeterbytes

Newly Enlightened
Hi Ringzero,

I don't have the Myo in front of me as I write this, but I'd have to say no, it won't be able to do this--the coiled cord portion is there to take up slack but wouldn't provide the needed length to pocket the battery pack.

The Primus Primelite A *will* perform this trick, so might be worth a look (are you getting dizzy yet with all these choices? ;-)

http://www.primus.se/Primus/Products/product_sheet.asp?ItemId=26138

It's a good performer, if pretty much unknown, but does lack regulation. The red mode is a big plus, and come to think of it, the flood mode is pretty dim on low. Finding one to try out might be a real challenge. But REI outlet has them:

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/48099333.htm

Neither site has the weight correct. I've also read that Primus is upgrading it this year. No info on the Primus.se site, though.

Of the many lights discussed in this thread the Myo XP gets my vote for best wide and soft flood, FWIW.

--Rick

ringzero said:
Skeeterbytes, I looked up the Myo XP, which leads to the following question:

How long is the coiled part of the cord on Myo XP? Is the cord long enough so that the battery pack can be removed from the headband and placed in a pocket or hooked to belt?

If so, that would be a big advantage for the Myo XP.

Thanks again for the help.

Grumpy

Enlightened
I have a Corona that I modified with the NICHIA NSPW500CS leds. It makes it a much better light. I would let someone try it out to see if they like it for a deposit. If you don't like it you could just send it back to me and I would refund the deposit minus actual shipping cost to you. If anyone is interested just send me PM.

downunder

Newly Enlightened
Jtice, I'm also looking at getting a Stenlight. I noticed your pics of it when I looked at your Corona pics. What headband are you using in your fourth picture of the Stenlight and is it comfortable with the Stenlight?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Have had a Princeton Tec Corona for several months now.

This is my first *ever* headlamp (at age 53!), and really like it a lot.

Never knew that a headlamp could be so *useful*, until i bought one.
smile.gif

Appreciate the *many* light levels it offers, since conditions vary widely.

I agree with the statement about the "5mm purple blob in the center",
but quickly got used to it in "real-world" applications.

Wanted an AA-cell headlamp, and am very happy with my choice.

But i must admit, i've never *tried* any other models.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck in yer' search.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current Corona is rated at 35 Lumens and says so on the package. The older models aren't as bright and don't make a rating claim. Make sure you get a new one.

The newest models of the Quad may actually be dimmer on the brighter setting than some of the older ones. PT did this so they could get an hour of regulation on high. Currently the website claims 21 Lumens max. FLR got about 28 lumens on their early unregulated model.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice said:
Corona would be a great choice if you are after flood light...I had mine a while and its served me well.

Thanks jtice.

Superb photos of your lighting equipment and caving trips, and great pics of Corona and Stenlight specifically.

Man, those pics really make me want a Stenlight of my own! Back in the day, when I was heavily into caving, I'd have given my left n** for a headlamp like the Stenlight. Don't do enough caving these days to justify buying one, but that dual throw-flood setup you have looks unbeatable for general outdoor use.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Skeeterbytes said:
The Primus Primelite A *will* perform this trick, so might be worth a look (are you getting dizzy yet with all these choices?...Of the many lights discussed in this thread the Myo XP gets my vote for best wide and soft flood, FWIW.--Rick

Thanks Skeeterbytes. The Primus Primelite A does look interesting.

And yes, I am now completely bewildered as to which headlamp to buy. Instead of narrowing the field, now I have even more headlamps to consider.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Burgess said:
Have had a Princeton Tec Corona for several months now...Wanted an AA-cell headlamp, and am very happy with my choice...Hope this was helpful. Good luck in yer' search.

Thanks Burgess.

Glad you like your Corona.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grumpy said:
I have a Corona that I modified with the NICHIA NSPW500CS leds. It makes it a much better light. I would let someone try it out to see if they like it for a deposit. If you don't like it you could just send it back to me and I would refund the deposit minus actual shipping cost to you. If anyone is interested just send me PM.

Thanks Grumpy. Nice to know the Corona can be upgraded with better LEDs. Thanks for the offer, but I want to buy a decent stock headlamp and avoid modding, at least for now.

Thanks again.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
cave dave said:
The current Corona is rated at 35 Lumens and says so on the package. The older models aren't as bright and don't make a rating claim. Make sure you get a new one.

Thanks cave dave. 35 lumens was the figure I had in mind, although I can't recall where I got it. I've been reading so much stuff on so many different headlamps lately, it gets hard to remember.

cave dave said:
The newest models of the Quad may actually be dimmer on the brighter setting than some of the older ones. PT did this so they could get an hour of regulation on high. Currently the website claims 21 Lumens max. FLR got about 28 lumens on their early unregulated model.

Just over 20 lumens was the figure I remembered for Quad, and that output won't last for very long, running on AAAs. Corona, with over 50% more output, should be noticeably brighter than Quad.

Yes, I recall Quickbeam stating that PT was going to reduce the high output to improve time in regulation.

Someone - maybe it was you - suggested that the high output on Quad should really be thought of as a temporary boost mode, and that the normal operating mode should be the medium output.

Thanks again for all the help.