PT Corona

tygger

Enlightened
I was thinking of ordering a PT Corona from BackcountryGear.com. It runs on 3AA's and says all levels are regulated which means it could run on Lithiums with no problem right? Anyone know for sure? The wide angle 5mm's and the 2 brightness settings on each output level make the Corona look like a great light.

paulr

Flashaholic
It would surprise me if that's a regulated light. I think it means the levels are PWM dimmed, just like numerous other PT lights. It's basically a bigger version of the Aurora. I think it should run ok on lithiums, if you don't mind the expense of the lithiums.

tygger

Enlightened
Don't know how accurate this information is but its from the backpackinglight.com website:

"Another new headlamp, the Princeton Tec Corona, takes a different approach: eight wide angle LED's powered by 3xAA batteries result in a terrific flood pattern for task lighting and medium range navigation for 40 to 500 hours. The Princeton Tec Corona weighs about 8 ounces and offers two power levels (low and high, with voltage regulation) while selecting 1, 3, 5, or 8 LED's at a time."

Again, it doesn't say if all levels are regulated or what. It would be great if they were. It retails for about $50 so for that price i guess its possible.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was playing with one at REI yesterday. Not knowing anything about it, I found the switching confusing. But I figured out that one button cycles through the modes that light different numbers of LEDs while the other button cycles through bright, dim and flashing options. I think it is necessary to cycle through all the modes to turn it off. I found that cumbersome. Also, how do you decide if you want 5 LEDs on low or 3 on high, for instance? They need to work on the switching logic a bit. Otherwise it seems nice. Admittedly, I may not fully understand the switching logic and it may not be as bad as I think it is. But the fact that I could not make much sense of it is a bad sign for use by non-flashaholics.

tygger

Enlightened
Thanks for the hands-on info. Yeah, the two settings on each level sounds rather complex. I was thinking of getting one but believe i might just wait for the new Princeton Tec Z3 i think its called. 3W and 2 5mm LEDs with a few brightness settings. Hope its as good as it sounds.

tygger

Enlightened
I read about it on eHeadlamps.com 2004 Shot Show review. I'm sure its still there. There's also supposed to be a Z1? 1W using 3AAA's. Don't care too much for the AAA's driving a lux.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.

Headed there now.

edit: Direct link. Takes 4AA or 2 123A lithium. Interesting option. No pics.

Yeah. 3AAA for a lux doesn't cut it for me either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

kengi

Newly Enlightened
Lurker - regarding the Corona switching - if you wait five seconds, pressing the main switch turns it off. i it allows for more versatility and extended battery life. I've been using this for a few days and it's really cool. it throws a super wide beam so I can use my peripheral vision - unlike other lights where I have to follow a spot with head movement

chumley

Enlightened
I bought a Corona at REI a few days ago. I have been using a PT Vortec and a PT Matrix. The Vortec is too bright up close, and the Matrix is too dim unless I use it where it is very dark. The Corona is pretty close to what I wanted in a new headlamp.

I had been considering a SL Septor, but it used AAA's and it wasn't regulated. I like the wide flood that the Corona has, it is a lot like the SL 3C 10 led.

PT mounted the leds on a metal heatsink, so it should be ok to run it at full output for extended time. It seems to be fairly robust, so it should be very reliable. The Corona is a great headlamp if you need a bright, wide beam that can be dimmed to save the batteries if needed. The only negative is that it won't have a lot of throw compared to hybrid lights.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you kengi for correcting my description of the switching procedure. I am glad to hear that it can be turned off with a single press from any mode after 5 seconds. Somehow I did not pick up on that in the store, but that is absolutely how it should work. I still think it is a bit confusing having so many different lighting modes, but it should be pretty workable as you described it. I wouldn't mind owning one.

I just wish there was a way for the light to remember the last mode it was in so you wouldn't have to re-select it each time with multiple presses of the 2 buttons. Maybe a single press from off should bring in back on in the last used mode and then successive presses from there would cycle it starting at the brightest mode.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
So are all the LEDs aimed in the same direction or are they slightly angled?
In the first case it is not very smart to switch on different numbers of LEDs, especially when you already have a dimming ciruit available. But, of course, it may impress technically challenged buyers, which are probably 98% of the market...

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why isn't it smart to use different numbers of LEDs to control brightness vs. using a dimming circuit? It seems logical to me and you don't have to supply current to drive the PWM chip, so it might be more efficient overall.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
Why isn't it smart to use different numbers of LEDs to control brightness vs. using a dimming circuit? It seems logical to me and you don't have to supply current to drive the PWM chip, so it might be more efficient overall.

[/ QUOTE ]
For most types of LEDs including white ones, the same amount of power spread among more LEDs produces more light.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The way I understand it, each LED is seeing the same amount of power in either case, and so should be running at the same level of efficiency. The PWM dimmer clips the "full" power on and off very rapidly. The main difference should be the current used to drive the dimmer. Admittedly very small.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
The way I understand it, each LED is seeing the same amount of power in either case, and so should be running at the same level of efficiency. The PWM dimmer clips the "full" power on and off very rapidly. The main difference should be the current used to drive the dimmer. Admittedly very small.

[/ QUOTE ]
In the PWM case, for the period that the LED is on, the power is higher than the average power. Since the power while ON is higher, the power to light conversion efficiency is lower.