PT EOS with Cree Q5 WG star

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
After a not too successful attempt of cramming a P7 into my EOS, it probably thought things couldn't get any worse. Little did it know. I fitted it with a kaidomain Cree Q5 WG star and 8 degree optic with holder. I liked the result, but as you can see, it's a couple of millimeters too long to fit the EOS housing:
EOSQ5a.jpg

I was a little reluctant to permanently alter the housing, but when my roommate ask if I wanted to go outside for some overdue exercise, it was clear the mod had to take precedence. So after a lot of cutting, hacking, burning and sanding, I got what I wanted - a Cree Q5 in my EOS:
EOSQ5.jpg

I took some beamshots, but they came out overexposed and I have to figure out again how to do manual exposures. The beam's hotspot is about 2/3's the size of the stock EOS. It's a little "ringy" too, typical of a Cree when there is no stipple/orange peel. On high, it's a little brighter than the stock EOS, not really as much as I hoped it would be. On the medium and low settings, it cleary beats the unmodded unit. The Q5 WG's tint is slightly blueish - I'd love to have a clean WC bin instead.

Update: As I paid closer attention to my results, I realized there was no difference between the high and medium settings. Turns out my batteries where at 3.0 volts and not allowing the high mode to come on. With good cells, the result is quite impressive now. As a matter of fact, the modded EOS on high is quite a bit brighter than my stock PT Apex Pro on high. Better than Apex performance in the EOS package - I'm very happy now.

Last edited:

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened