putting a higher premium LS on Surefire KL4?

grnamin

Enlightened
How difficult would it be to retrofit a Surefire KL4 head with a higher premium 5-watt Luxeon Star? My brother bought an L4, too, and we compared beams on a white ceiling last night. Oh, the pain when I realized my L4's beam was slightly greenish compared to his white light! I'm thinking of a mod instead of purchasing another KL4 as the latter doesn't guarantee that I'll get a white LS. I think a mod would. Any ideas?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I took one apart and installed a 1W in place of the 5W. I tried to be very careful but still proceeded to nick some anodize off in a few places as well as breaking one lead wire loose. It is doable but I certainly can't recommend it. With the cost of a good 5W LED and the effort along with potential for damage, you might be better off offering up a trade with your light and some $'s in exchange for a whiter unit. Some don't consider the green tint as that big of a deal.

- Don

grnamin

Enlightened
Thanks, Don. Sound advice. The green tint wasn't even evident to me until my brother and I compared beams. I might get a couple of KL4s and return or resell the ones that don't pass muster.

ViciousCycle74

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking of doing this as well, so far I'm 0 for 2 in the K4/LS Lotto. One is very green, the other is a lovely white, but has a dark spot in the center of the beam. My question is, does anybody have a source for good 5-W LS's