Q: XRE or XPE?

rizky_p

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone help me. Why XPE? Should i change all my XRE light to XPE? can i drive XPE at 1A like most of my XRE lights? Does XPE brighter given the same current? What is the advantages of using XPE compared to XRE.

Thanks
Rizki P

J

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
XP-E uses the same die as the XR-E but has a different (much smaller) packaging. It has slightly higher thermal resistance than XR-E (9°C/W vs 8°C/W). That is probably the reason why the maximum recommended current is only 700mA. It is not brighter than XR-E, XP-E R2 bin is as bright as XR-E R2 bin...

The main advantage is very small size and smoother beam. You can get smooth beam without cree rings even with a smooth reflector (needs precise centering).

rizky_p

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main advantage is very small size and smoother beam. You can get smooth beam without cree rings even with a smooth reflector (needs precise centering).

Is that mean XRE reflector will also work on XPE?

thanks.

E

ergotelis

Enlightened
Have you tested a seoul P4 in a XR-e reflector? THe beam profile will be almost the same.

Fallingwater

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tested a seoul P4 in a XR-e reflector? THe beam profile will be almost the same.
Same compared to an XRE or to an XPE?
In the first case I disagree. I replaced the XRE in my L-Mini with a SSC P4, and got a much nicer beam. Using OP reflector, by the way.

E

ergotelis

Enlightened
Same compared to an XRE or to an XPE?
In the first case I disagree. I replaced the XRE in my L-Mini with a SSC P4, and got a much nicer beam. Using OP reflector, by the way.

I will restate my post to be more clear.
Puting a SSC P4 to a XRE reflector will give a more smoother beam from spill to spot and a bit less lux. You should expect almost the same if you put a XP-e to a XR-E reflector.In that case, it justs needs the reflector to be put a bit higher from the led. You will have some lumen loss also(between reflector and led) also because of the different beam profile of a xp-e.