Quark 123*2 Tactical neutral

gratmars

Newly Enlightened
Good Morning,

I'm looking for a light that will replace my quark. Here are the most important aspects I need.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

__X__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

__X__Up to $120.

3) Format:

__X__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

__X__SMALL - No longer than 4.5"

5) Emitter/Light source:

__X__LED (Nichia 219 or XP-G2 Neutral)

6) Manufacturer:

Don't care

7) What power source do you want to use?

__X__I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

__X__I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

__X__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

__X__SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - (Why not?)

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

Not too tight or wide.
__X__Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
__X__Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
___X_Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
__X__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
__X__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
__X__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
__X__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

__X__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

__X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

__X__I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
__X__I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
__X__I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

MUST always have high or programmed mode on tight no matter how many times I press the tail switch.
__X__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
__X__I want a programmable light.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

__X__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
__X__Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Water resistance

__X__IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
X In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
X In my pocket

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

__X__Pocket/belt clip

Thanks guys!!!

magellan

Honorary Aussie
You might be ready for a higher end production or semi custom.

TnC, Peak, HDS, Oveready, etc., might be possibilities for you. With a limit of $120 though those makes are a bit tight but worth it in my humble opinion. The Peak Logan, Pamir, and Rainier lights though are within that price limit. I don't know if they meet all your criteria, but they're all CR123A size lights and they're extremely well made and built like tanks. I have several models of TnC, Peak, and Oveready and have been very happy with them.

Last edited:

gratmars

Newly Enlightened
Olight has no tail switch.
I would entertain a semi-custom, but have found non that are compact enough or have the right interface...

cistallus

Enlightened
You could go to parametrek.com Flashlight section and play with your parameters and see what looks interesting.