Quark Beamshots/comparison shots

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've captured so much great information through this forum. Many have posted great beamshots which have helped me make buying decisions – and have helped me spend waaaay too much $$ on this hobby, but that's another story. I've posted a few random photos, but this is my first attempt at good beamshots, so let me set it up:

Canon EOS Digital Rebel (older model)
Canon EF28-90MM USM lens 1:4-5.6
Obviously no flash

Shutter setting is 1/10 – all are at F4.5. Next time I do this I'll think ahead, use my better lens and drop the shutter speed down to ¼ and or 1/6.

Here is the family of lights shown in this comparison. Next time I'll add a Surefire 6P with Nailbender SST-50 and the EagleTac M2XC4 – but for now these are the players:
IMG_1752.JPG

All the shots are with the camera on tripod, 24 feet from a beige curtain. Hallway you see is 12 feet – then 12 more feet to the curtain. ALL the shots are without moving anything EXCEPT I added the E2DL at the end and the distance is off by about 2 feet.

So here are the comparisons – in each photo the flashlight identified is on the far left, then from left to right you have the Quark Turbo head, Quark 123.2 Neutral, Quark 123T Neutral - mated to:

Surefire C2 with Malkoff M60W - Quark Turbo Quark 123.2 Neutral Quark 123T Neutral
Beamshots8.jpg

Surefire LX2 Quark Turbo Quark 123.2 Neutral Quark 123T Neutral
Beamshots10.jpg

Surefire E2DL Quark Turbo Quark 123.2 Neutral Quark 123T Neutral
Beamshots12.jpg

(note - the E2DL shot was taken at a distance of about 2 feet further away)
Surefire E1B Quark Turbo Quark 123.2 Neutral Quark 123T Neutral
Beamshots9.jpg

Surefire T1A Quark Turbo Quark 123.2 Neutral Quark 123T Neutral
Beamshots13.jpg

NovaTac 120EDC Quark Turbo Quark 123.2 Neutral Quark 123T Neutral
Beamshots11.jpg

Jetbeam M1X Quark Turbo Quark 123.2 Neutral Quark 123T Neutral
Beamshots14.jpg

Photos don't lie....tomorrow morning when it is dark again, I'll repeat this exercise with a shutter at 1/4 and 1/6 and F3.5 lens...

Hope this helps someone!

lovecpf:twothumbs

Last edited:

sfca

Enlightened
I'm not completely certain what the pics from center-left to far right are.

Any chance of distance shots or bigger (links are ok) pics?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not completely certain what the pics from center-left to far right are.

Any chance of distance shots or bigger (links are ok) pics?

As mentioned early in the post, the named light is far left, then 18650 Turbo head, 123.2 neutral white, then 123T neutral white (the last 3 Quarks, of course.) (Apologies - the 123.2 and 123T were not mentioned in the original post - I've edited the text of the post to correct this.)

You can see all the photos Here and Here

They are all labeled. Also, I'm going to post some more with lower shutter and F3.5 instead of F4.5 - hopefully tomorrow - to give a better idea. This was my first real try!

Last edited:

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Thanks for the beamshots run4jc, I like. You'd think the Jetbeam w/MC-E would look brighter, wouldn't you? But it seems the Quark Turbo holds it's own well with the other lights, which makes me want to :paypal: even more.:shakehead

jkilo

Newly Enlightened
Run, based on your beamshots, it appears that the two surefires are keeping up with the quarks, in fact surpassing the two non-turbo quarks. Would you say that's consistent with real-world brightness?

A friend of mine has an E2DL, and my 123.2 xpe r2 quark seems brighter. Perhaps his isn't the new 200L model? I may just be purchasing a surefire after this!

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
Very good. But, you didn't label the 3rd and 4th shots. I read they are a couple of neutral Quarks. You may want to fix that in your opening post. Thanks for the pictures. It brings me one step closer to a Quark.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beamshots run4jc, I like. You'd think the Jetbeam w/MC-E would look brighter, wouldn't you? But it seems the Quark Turbo holds it's own well with the other lights, which makes me want to :paypal: even more.:shakehead
The Jetbeam is in a league of its own. This is only 22-24 feet. When you go out and push the lights to 100+ feet the Jetbeam really comes into its own. I still favor my Surefires - ALL of them - for their understated quality and beam strength for the size, but when you want to pull out the 'big gun', the M1X is a monster. Incidentally, my 6P with Nailbender's SST-50 drop in is a floody monster that competes with the M1X, but no beamshots on it here. I am adding some later today.

Run, based on your beamshots, it appears that the two surefires are keeping up with the quarks, in fact surpassing the two non-turbo quarks. Would you say that's consistent with real-world brightness?

A friend of mine has an E2DL, and my 123.2 xpe r2 quark seems brighter. Perhaps his isn't the new 200L model? I may just be purchasing a surefire after this!
Absolutely correct. The Surefires (expecially the LX2 and the E2DL) are as bright as (or brighter) than the 2 non-turbos, but remember, those were the neutral white - a much warmer beam. The LX2 actually out throws the turbo version in my 'real world' use, but not by much. The LX2 also has a larger spot. At the risk of stirring up some passion here, the Surefires are still my favorites and overall perform 'better.' But that Turbo Quark is amazing! And quite the deal. I carried my 18650 body with Turbo head on the dog walk this morning and was VERY satisfied with it.

Very informative shots! :)
More to come!!:D

Very good. But, you didn't label the 3rd and 4th shots. I read they are a couple of neutral Quarks. You may want to fix that in your opening post. Thanks for the pictures. It brings me one step closer to a Quark.
You are correct - my apologies! I had edited the post so many times trying to get it 'right' that I ended up accidentally deleting that text. I have corrected it - thanks for letting me know.
:oops::twothumbs

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Check this out..
November%202%20beam%20shots3.jpg

November%202%20beam%20shots4.jpg

Maybe this helps?

I'm having too much fun with this - more to come later today! (No work today...) :thumbsup:

sfca

Enlightened
This definitely helps!

Feedback for further beamshots - Quark Turbo shot beside the LX2/E2DL shots. (And maybe the LX2 besides the E2DL). How recent is your E2DL?
The difference between the 2 Surefires is very slight.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
This definitely helps!

Feedback for further beamshots - Quark Turbo shot beside the LX2/E2DL shots. (And maybe the LX2 besides the E2DL). How recent is your E2DL?
The difference between the 2 Surefires is very slight.
Ask and ye shall receive - please visit this link.

And my E2DL was acquired in September -

thanks!!

:D

lazaris

Newly Enlightened
I've captured so much great information through this forum. Many have posted great beamshots which have helped me make buying decisions – and have helped me spend waaaay too much $$ on this hobby, but that's another story. I've posted a few random photos, but this is my first attempt at good beamshots, so let me set it up:

Canon EOS Digital Rebel (older model)
Canon EF28-90MM USM lens 1:4-5.6
Obviously no flash

Shutter setting is 1/10 – all are at F4.5. Next time I do this I'll think ahead, use my better lens and drop the shutter speed down to ¼ and or 1/6.

Here is the family of lights shown in this comparison. Next time I'll add a Surefire 6P with Nailbender SST-50 and the EagleTac M2XC4 – but for now these are the players:
IMG_1752.JPG

All the shots are with the camera on tripod, 24 feet from a beige curtain. Hallway you see is 12 feet – then 12 more feet to the curtain. ALL the shots are without moving anything EXCEPT I added the E2DL at the end and the distance is off by about 2 feet.

So here are the comparisons – in each photo the flashlight identified is on the far left, then from left to right you have the Quark Turbo head, Quark 123.2 Neutral, Quark 123T Neutral - mated to:

Surefire C2 with Malkoff M60W - Quark Turbo Quark 123.2 Neutral Quark 123T Neutral
Beamshots8.jpg

Surefire LX2 Quark Turbo Quark 123.2 Neutral Quark 123T Neutral
Beamshots10.jpg

Surefire E2DL Quark Turbo Quark 123.2 Neutral Quark 123T Neutral
Beamshots12.jpg

(note - the E2DL shot was taken at a distance of about 2 feet further away)
Surefire E1B Quark Turbo Quark 123.2 Neutral Quark 123T Neutral
Beamshots9.jpg

Surefire T1A Quark Turbo Quark 123.2 Neutral Quark 123T Neutral
Beamshots13.jpg

NovaTac 120EDC Quark Turbo Quark 123.2 Neutral Quark 123T Neutral
Beamshots11.jpg

Jetbeam M1X Quark Turbo Quark 123.2 Neutral Quark 123T Neutral
Beamshots14.jpg

Photos don't lie....tomorrow morning when it is dark again, I'll repeat this exercise with a shutter at 1/4 and 1/6 and F3.5 lens...

Hope this helps someone!

lovecpf:twothumbs

Any Updates?