quark mini AA & CR123 users thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, how are you guys feeling about the PWM? (for those who already received their mini's)

The PWM on the Fenix L0D doesn't really bother me, but on the Rebel MiniMag low mode the PWM tends to make me a little motion sick :sick2:

Any comments or comparisons?

(btw I already ordered the Mini R5 AA, so I'm stuck with it either way, I just want to know what I'm getting myself into! :p )

vali

Enlightened
Thanks for the answer, guys. I forgot the only way to make it so small was with thin walls. In the pics they seem very strong, but physics are physics. Anyway, I dont plant to use it under truck wheels... :crackup:

vali

Enlightened
So, how are you guys feeling about the PWM? (for those who already received their mini's)

The PWM on the Fenix L0D doesn't really bother me, but on the Rebel MiniMag low mode the PWM tends to make me a little motion sick :sick2:

(btw I already ordered the Mini R5 AA, so I'm stuck with it either way, I just want to know what I'm getting myself into! :p )

You should be fine since the frequency in the mini is way higher than the L0D.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the IMR 16340 a 3.0V because I assume these will not use RCR123 3.7V cells correct?
the manual states it can use RCR123, :shrug:
the runtime test has ended, though the light is still glowing.. when I turned it off and tried to turn it on again, it refused to light. (on that dead battery). (new batt = :) )

going to upload the data later.

PWM is very high.. unnoticeable under normal use.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic

It's 2600Hz, WAY beyond human perception.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my Preon and had expected my Mini123's (due today) to replace the 2-year old RAW that has been in my pocket every day. But I just realized that neither light has "last level memory". This is a deal-breaker for me - for EDC uses. 95% or more of the time, I use the high level of light. I'll still use them around the house, garage and in the cars. They are very nice lights and are at a great price point. I wonder if a couple or five dollars more would have bought the exact same UI but with memory?

I like cast memory too... but on the other hand, I"m always reminded that a lower setting may do the job this way...... just trying to look at the bright side!.... no pun there.....

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Windy...Shame on you! You're a Lumens junkie like me so what are you doing saying that low or medium might do the job!

:oops: OK.. you got me... I'm reminded, but I "never" use the lower settings!.... just gives me a warm and fuzzy knowing they are there. :thumbsup:

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
just received my miniAA and red Preon kit.

I like the Preon styling and the red color and the kit to mix/match 1AA/2AA and the clicky switch as well as a twist possibility. I also have no problems with the clicky. The 1AA body o-ring for the head is a bit large and can be pinched when screwing on the head. Some lube helped that. The brightness with 1AA is about the same as the latest Fenix LD01 as determined by a ceiling bounce test. The Preon 1AA beam shape is a bit wider than I like when on lower powers. The beam spread of the Preon 1AA is noticeably wider by comparison with a Fenix LD01. The highest power gives some "punch" to the beam. The brightness with 2AAs is impressive. I suspect that the 2AA format will be the most used. Jury is still out on clicky vs twist. I am also not sure how I would attach the Preon to a key ring w/o wearing out my pocket by leaving the clip on. Have to think about the EDC style.

The MiniAA is amazingly small. The brightness on 1AA Ni-MH is, uh, disappointing in the midst of it's present competition. ie: The MiniAA is definitely less bright than a D10R2 when both are on NiMH. However, switch to 14500 in both lights and the MiniAA is very obviously brighter than the D10R2. The MiniAA also heats up quickly with 14500 cells, so if long run time is desired, stick with NiMH cells. and yes, my MiniAA can be twisted on/off 1-handed.

A comment about the beam pattern in the 4Sevens lights: I also have the Quark AA2 as well. I definitely like the broader beam on higher powers. However on the lowest powers the pattern is rather "thin". That is a design compromise with the intent to cover the near distances better. In my case, if I want to reach out, I will pick up my TK40. :whistle:

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
SS-2009.12.12-16.35.40.png

hm. this is on the lower capacity IMR battery.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
no.. what i meant is that at the end of the runtime.. the light was still glowing, but after a on/off.. the light didn't glow.

fresh batt = :D light!

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I care about most is the number of thread grooves mini AA & 123 have? The number of Fenix ld01 is six so it won't become two parts in pocket while shut off.

I just counted 5 full turns from loose to "on". 3.5 of those turns before the O-ring engages.

I did the "waving my light while looking at the wall" thing to see if I saw a bunch of spots or not. No spots seen! I did notice that I get a minor whine when in low and a slightly louder whine when on medium but no whine whatsoever on high.

Anyone else hoping that 4Sevens makes a 2XAA body for either of these flashlights? I sure am!

madmook

Newly Enlightened
hm. this is on the lower capacity IMR battery.
Thanks for the data, not a lot of reviews test runtime with the lower-capacity "safe" RCR123A's. I have recently decided to jump into the world of CR123A's & RCR123A's, and I am waiting for delivery of some AW LiFePO4's. Guilt-free lumens, indeed!

koolranch

Newly Enlightened
"Anyone else hoping that 4Sevens makes a 2XAA body for either of these flashlights? I sure am!"

Wouldn't that kind of defeat the whole principal behind the MINI concept?

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Of course, for the price, I would expect the Aeon to be built better, and it is. The 123 has a much more usable and I think nicer beam, with a more pleasing (less green) tint with no rings. It's a solid feeling light though...The worst part about it is that many of my bigger lights are nowhere near as bright as the 123. Now I'm on the hunt for another that it brighter and throwier (is that a word) to complement the quark mini. Kudos to Dave for such a great light!

+1 on all counts! I agree the Aeon seems a bit tougher but I like the MiNi 123 so much more for its beam color, beam shape and smoothness and raw power! I also prefer the MiNi interface as it's faster to high with 1 hand...

Well that's to bad, I love the light but would of prefered it to start on high. But that's just me.

Windy...Shame on you! You're a Lumens junkie like me so what are you doing saying that low or medium might do the job!

You guys, I hear you and am also a lumens junkie--but wait til you see how bright this thing is! Just shining it into your hand--the reflection is blinding. This is a light that best starts on low I think... :twothumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.