quark minix durability and reliability

js82

Newly Enlightened
Is the quark minix reliable and durable? There seem to be a lot of threads popping up of their minix failing, like when one took a tumble in the washer. There have also been many reports on the quark minix having very wobbly heads and exhibiting erratic behavior. Is it only because sales volume is so high that so many of these threads are popping up, or do they really have a high failure rate? Cuz I don't wanna be relying on one when I'm lost in a forest or stranded in a sea or something only to find that it doesn't work.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the quark minix reliable and durable? There seem to be a lot of threads popping up of their minix failing, like when one took a tumble in the washer. There have also been many reports on the quark minix having very wobbly heads and exhibiting erratic behavior. Is it only because sales volume is so high that so many of these threads are popping up, or do they really have a high failure rate? Cuz I don't wanna be relying on one when I'm lost in a forest or stranded in a sea or something only to find that it doesn't work.

I don't have any problems with my 47's light's they make a good product and have great customer service, buy with confidence but man don't go getting lost in a forest or stranded in a ocean cause that sounds bad, put a GPS on your list as well. :)

MrLi

Newly Enlightened

I bought mine few weeks ago, and I'm quite fond of it...the only concerns I had, was the threads being loose ?
Sorry I'm not sure if it's the same as the wobbly-ness that some people mentioned. Pretty much I can turn the light on with just little pressure on the head while loosen..sometimes when I use 1 hand operation, it'll skip mode.

That being said, I just loosen it more in the end to prevent accidental activation and I'm more careful not to press against the head while tightening/loosening it..

Still feel it's a great light to carry around. It's essentially my keychain light now.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, if you are in situations that could get you stranded in a forest or out at sea, it would be good to pack more than one light with you and some extra juice if in case your lights run out of them.

I'll cite myself as the example: I edc a quark AA2 Tactical (i love these programmable lights because i can set them on the output i want them to run in) then as a backup, i have a Lumintop L1C (runs on one CR123) which i use for longer distance lighting needs, then in my pack, I have the Fenix TK35 when im in need of monster lighting.... then to top it off i have a iTP A3 on a 10440 just in case. Then also inside my pack are spare CR123's, some AA's and a small container housing two 18650's for my TK. Should the sun fail to rise tomorrow and the power goes out for good.... i'll be ready. :)

As for the 4Sevens light, no need to worry! the quality is VERY good! My quark edc is heavily used. If you would compare it to the average person's usage, my usage would be the equivalent of several years for the average person. :)

4Sevens have excellent pre-sales and after-sales, heck even the owner, David Chow, goes through our forums and offers advise and answers questions by us CPF'ers.

Go ahead, pull the trigger on a 4Seven's light, you wont regret it! It was my first next-generation LED light, and im still loving it and edc-ing it to this day! :)

Last edited:

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I can attest to the reliability of three Qmini 123's, two of which now look like they've been through a garbage disposal. The third (mine) has been spared from physical abuse in terms of shock/drops, but has gone through a lot of rain.

I'd wager that the MiniX is probably just as reliable. Probably skips modes just like the 123's too, but I've been so impressed with the durability otherwise that I've finally "overlooked" the mode skipping - it still annoys me, but since I'm not using the light for any "tactical use" I've learned to live with it. I'd say I'm 99% happy with the model, and for what I paid that's pretty good.

tolkaze

Enlightened
I got my MiniX expecting it to be much the same as the early model mini123's. After using it for a long time now, I can say that the threads are far better than the mini123's ever were with very little mode skipping and a nice smooth action.

I haven't really treated mine badly, but it has gotten a bit of a splash. The problem with smooth turning action is you either have to keep cleaning them and lubing them with high quality products, or they get tight and lose water resistance.

I killed a miniAA with fluids, sold my mini123 because of the threads, I absolutely love my miniCR2 (best threads of all of them imo) and won't be getting rid of the miniX.

I trust it, but like any light, I would still carry a backup (or make this the backup to another light)

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my MiniX just fine, even with what some refer to as the loose threads. It is true that if you tend to apply pressure to the side of the head, it may flash or skip modes but it's easy to learn how to avoid it.

Now that I'm used to it, I treat it like a momentary function. Or if I want to go straight to full output, I just lightly press the head twice, cycling through low and medium, and then just twist for constant on full output.

Considering how the light is constructed, I don't think this is anything to cause concern from a reliability standpoint.

js82

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your input.

So the mode-skipping loose threads is in fact present with most of them. The beacon/SOS functions are what I'm really after so I don't mind that. And the cool tint is just fine because it's better for signaling than a warm/neutral light. I'll probably get one then.

And jhc, I plan to NOT get lost in a forest :) Just that I might lose my way while skiing or something. You never know...

Latest posts