Quark Moonlight Runtime Test

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure but why do AAA when there is AA and it's not that much bigger?

Hold your Quark AA in one hand. Hold a Maratac or ITP AAA in the other and you'll realize that there's a huge size difference. Makes all the difference in the world when considering putting alight on your key chain or in your cell phone holster (or, as my wife pointed out, in the pencil slot of a purse).

The only AA light that is of comparable size to a AAA light is the Zebralight H501. The new ones have a low low mode that might have similar run times to what we're seeing here from the Quark. Anyone willing to run that test?

--flatline

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a keychain light then yes, I agree. The thing is, I don't really want anything even that big on my keychain :(

Darvis, that's damn amazing :)

gunga

Flashaholic
Darvis, what battery was that again?

Wow.

:eek:

It's because of this I purchased one of those Ti Quarks on sale (or maybe it was the price, but still...)

:devil:

Harry999

Enlightened
Darvis,

You've done it now. I love the idea of a reliable light in single AA format with a moonlight mode. I've ordered a Quark AA today from a UK supplier because of this run time test and the uncertainty as to whether 4Sevens will ever release a dedicated ultra low light. I love my HDS lights with their ultra low levels on lithium primaries and Li-ion cells but I can not resist the single AA format the Quark provides.

The Quark will be a nice compliment to my HDS line up. I've also placed an order with 4Sevens for the 2xAA Quark body just so I can have longer runtimes if required.

Thank you, Darvis! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Darvis

Enlightened
You guys are welcome! I've really enjoyed doing this as well and I appreciate all of the positive response to this thread. I am absolutely happy to have had the chance to give something back to this great forum.

This last light is the regular UI Quark running on a Duracell alkaline... unreal.

I'm going to run a lithium next just for kicks.

The Eneloops were no slouch and are the way to go for EDC in my eyes; but for emergencies, these alkalines on moonlight or a lithium are the shiz.

Any way you slice it, the practical runtimes are through the roof. I can't see anyone except the most die-hard long term hikers or survivalists hitting the limits in moonlight mode.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark will be a nice compliment to my HDS line up. I've also placed an order with 4Sevens for the 2xAA Quark body just so I can have longer runtimes if required.

I think every flashaholic should have a couple of beater lights that take advantage of common and/or cheap cells.

My Quark AA and H501w can use any AA sized cell I find or even AAA if I use a spacer. My L-mini can safely use the free 18650s I pull from laptops.

I think I've already mentioned this in this thread, but just in case I haven't, I wish someone made a 1xD cell light (or a D-tube for the quark). I've got a pile of partially used D cells from baby toys that I'd love to be able to take advantage of.

--flatline

Harry999

Enlightened
I think I've already mentioned this in this thread, but just in case I haven't, I wish someone made a 1xD cell light (or a D-tube for the quark). I've got a pile of partially used D cells from baby toys that I'd love to be able to take advantage of.

+1

Now that sounds like a great idea!

Darvis

Enlightened
Man, I hate to even say this, but at hour 467, the Quark has developed an ever so faint flicker... I had to stare at it for a minute or two as I thought my tired eyes were tricking me; but it's there for sure. No dimming mind you, just the flicker... and barely noticable at this juncture.

I fear that these next 12 hours (the run to 20 days continuous and 100% over stated specs) may be a bit precarious.

Last edited:

Zendude

Enlightened
JEEZ, this is weird! I almost feel like I'm standing at the bedside of a sick loved one!:candle:

Just hang in there!

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall reading somewhere here that an alkaline AA has 3000+ma capacity in low low draw/drain applications. It certainly seems to be holding true here.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
Man, I hate to even say this, but at hour 467, the Quark has developed an ever so faint flicker... I had to stare at it for a minute or two as I thought my tired eyes were tricking me; but it's there for sure. No dimming mind you, just the flicker... and barely noticable at this juncture.

I fear that these next 12 hours (the run to 20 days continuous and 100% over stated specs) may be a bit precarious.

still you know now that some Quarks are probably existing with a slightly lower Vf LED compared to yours that will easily make it with a quality battery.

Darvis

Enlightened
Well folks, the Quark has gone dark!!!

At Midnight (hour 468) the flickering was more pronounced and by 4am, it was off. I'll split that and call it an even 470 hours continuous until off (19.6 days). The ending voltage on the Duracell was .77v

What a run, eh?

Trancersteve

Newly Enlightened
Not bad at all!

Thanks for running this impressive stamina test. You are now responsible for a dent in my wages at the end of this month. :huh:

I've also placed an order with 4Sevens for the 2xAA Quark body just so I can have longer runtimes if required.

I think I'll be joining you on that also!

Last edited:

Zendude

Enlightened
I believe a moment of silence is in order..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................:party::party::party:

Great job Darvis!:thumbsup:

So who wants to do a moon mode runtime test on a 2AA or 123^2?:devil:

Darvis

Enlightened
It just so happens that I have the 2AA body. I'm going to buy a pack of Lithiums today and run a 2AA vs 1AA lithium test and test the Revo with a Lithium as well... I'll start a new thread: "4 Sevens Lithium Moonlight Runtime Test" so as to keep this one from getting too unruly. Stay tuned as I plan to get to the store today and start the test tonight.

Update: Test started @ 2pm ET 9/9/2010

Last edited: