Quarks vs the competition?

Caesis

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently using a Romisen RC-N3-Q5. The Q5 has already been outdated, but the light has served me very well the past year.

In the future, I'm thinking of investing in a ~$60 light. 4Seven's quark series seems to be bright, smart, and tough. Is there any competition in the $60 range, or should I just stop my research now and decide on a quark?

Thank you for your time.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others here will also say, you need to provide more info on what you're looking to do with your light(s) before giving you useful advice.

Tell us a little more about what your goals/uses are, and you'll get no shortage of input.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Quark lights are at least as good as anything else in the same price range.

Last edited:

Colorblinded

Enlightened
As others have previously said, it depends on what you need. Quarks aren't bad but I prefer Fenix for example for overall more consistent UI performance and better fit & finish IMO. There are tons of other options out there though so it really is easiest for people to help you if you state your needs.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix, Quark, Eagletac, Zebralight it all depends on what and how your going to use/carry it and what battery's your going to feed it.

red02

Enlightened
Fenix, Quark, Eagletac, Zebralight it all depends on what and how your going to use/carry it and what battery's your going to feed it.

+1

I think that Quark, Zebralight and Eagletac have the edge on 14500s but Fenix lights are usually optimized for lower voltage batteries like Alkalines and NiMH. Eagletac usually drives their lights harder, Quark and Fenix use lower levels of current and get slightly less light such that any difference is not really visible. Eagletacs are mostly 2 mode, with a few 5 mode lights. Fenix, Quark and Zebralight have 6 or so modes each. Fenix has been around the longest, the rest of the order is Eagletac, Zebralight, Quark IIRC.

carrot

Flashaholic
I like the Quarks. They offer the correct feature set out of all of the lights in their price range. For me, what sells them over just about anyone else is:

- programmability (Tactical editions only)
- dead simple UI
- awesome pocket clip
- sweet beam quality
- lots of knurling & square cut threads
- modern emitters
- Li-ion support and modularity
- 4sevens warranty and customer support

All the others are missing one or another of these features. Together the combination of features makes for a really compelling offering that makes them preferable to the others.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a Quark. I am not really a big fan of Quark but value for features wise it's hard to beat. As with any lights made in China, there may be an occasion or two that you would receive a lemon but 4sevens would take care of you. With that said, I would get a Quark if I am in your shoes.

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
seriously, if people who don't even like Quarks that much are willing to recommend them, there's gotta be something to it ;)

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened
Go for the Quark. If you haven't tried the 0.2 lumen moonlight mode, you don't know what you're missing out on. JHC has a good list of competitors, and if you're looking, Nitecore offers a few in that price range. There are some real Nitecore D10 fanatics out there. Sadly, I just am not one of them, since I've had problems with the sticky piston. No such issues with Quarks. :)

brightnorm

Flashaholic
My most important criterion: the best lights within a defined size/weight category. For "true" EDC I prefer 2x123 lights, non-tactical style, the smaller and lighter the better. Having tried many lights I have come back to the Fenix and Quark 2x123s as the best of the lot in their combination of features including size/weight, brightness, efficiency, reliability, convenient UI, etc.

Although I own many other lights and carry them according to need, whim and mood, I have never regretted my basic EDC choice. Eventually, better-performing lights will appear that fit the stated criteria. Until then I will continue to carry my excellent little winners.

Brightnorm

Illumigirl

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Quark AA a few months ago, and like everything about it. Even found a coupon code for 5% off, plus free shipping. I use mine in the field, so I LOVE the belt clip. Good luck making your decision!

neomedic

Newly Enlightened
What's the coupon code? Feel free to PM me if you can't type it in the public forum. Thanks.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another +1 for the Quarks is choice of tint, cool white, neutral white and warm white, however the neutrals and warms aren't available in all models, you may need to buy an additional body.

I have one of the original XP-E neutral tactical AA, excellent light and I just ordered an XP-G warm white tactical AA2 literally minutes ago.

neomedic

Newly Enlightened
Does the Warm White produce a more natural color on objects outdoors like browns and such?

Seems like their output is not as much as the XP-G R5. An others benefits in the XP-G Warm Whites?