question about glow paint

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
I've seen other threads about glow paint and powder in this section of the forum so i guess this is the best place to ask.

Ever since i discovered glow paint from lurking around these forums, i've had the idea to paint the tips of my fishing rods with glow paint. I often like to still fish at night. Sometimes i get lazy and like to just stand my rod up against anything i can lean it on and just watch the tip instead of holding it in my hands. Glow painted rod tips would be perfect for this.
I'd like to know how flexible glow paint is. The tip of a fishing rod flexes quit a bit. I need to know if the paint would flake off.

Also, as i'm in canada and glow inc doesn't ship glow paint but only powder to canada, i'll probably have to buy my paint from ebay from the canadian seller. Has anybody here used this canadian glow paint? What do you think of it, is it worth buying or is it crap?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Canadian readysetglo.com paint is almost as good as glowinc. I've used both. Not enough difference to worry about.

On the readysetglo site, there is a provision to get a quick direct personalized answer to any question you might have. I've gotten good service from them. Shannon, the owner is great to deal with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

teststrips

Enlightened
I baught from ready set glo here in the states. I only got the powder, but it's easily mixed into epoxy (like devcon 5 min clear) to applied with a brush. I don't have any expiriance with pre-mixed paint, but I can control the concentration with expoxy, and only have to mix the amount I want for a given project.

My only problem was shippng from readyset glo. Took over 2 weeks. I think my problem was that fact that it had to go through customs, and being that this was a white powdery substance they probably tested it to make sure it wasn't a "bad" substance.

I'm thinking since you are in canada, shipping would not be an issue for you. Also check out the heat dip powder they sell, as you could just heat up your jigs and dip them into the powder.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The glow paint will work better when the conditions are darker. Pitch black would be ideal. Do you wear a headlamp? Maybe a reflector would work better/be more visible. Even the dimmest of headlamps would work.

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
Nah i dont wear a headlamp. I'm sorry but to me, it seems kind of dorky to wear a head lamp.
I thought about epoxy, as i've read some people doing that but the thing about epoxy is that its rather stiff. I'm not trying to paint my jigs or crank baits thought it would be a good idea. What i want to do is paint the the top 6 to 9 inches of my rod tips. Epoxy would definitly mess up the nice action of my rods.

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
it's a pretty good idea. I think i'll try that but using aquarium air hose instead. Its more flexible and lest flimsy than a common drinking straw.