Question about Krypton bulbs

luigi

Enlightened
I have a question about Krypton bulbs. How many Lux can a flashlight throw with a Krypton bulb using 2 123 cells? I mean an average or max/min values. Do you have examples of lights using Krypton bulbs and 123 cells that I can check for comparisions?

Thanks!
Luigi

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know the answer to your question, but if your application uses PR base bulbs, I've got the perfect bulb for you. I put a Carley 606 bulb in a cut down 1C Mag with 2 C123 batteries. This thing is pretty darned impressive for it's size.

One thing to know about krypton bulbs is you can overdrive them a lot more than xenon bulbs.

If you want to try the CL606 bulb, I can sell you some - just let me know.

sniper

Enlightened
Let me jump in here with some newbie questions. What is the advantage of the Carley Krypton or Xenon bulbs over the Maglight stock bulbs? Do they make a bi-pin bulb for the Streamlight Twin Task 3C? Who sells the bulbs?. Using the standard alkaline batteries, Are there heat problems with the plastic reflectors? Thanks.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carleys have little bitty tiny filaments so they can focus tighter- nicer beam. They overdrive pretty well- very nice white color temp. Smaller size even then Welch Allyn.

litho123

Enlightened
Hi Sniper -

To answer part of your Q...

10 WATT LIMIT.
The plastic reflector will handle up to almost 10 watts before starting to bubble/star/melt from the bulb hole outwards. The greater the wattage, the sooner that this meltdown will occur. Continuous use of the 30 watt WA1185 will severely melt the reflector in 3 minutes or less, my wife melted the reflector in 7-8 minutes with a 20 watt bulb during a power outage, and the 12 watt CL1057 will eventually melt it as well, though it will take much longer for it to occur.

RE: Carley vs. stock Maglight bulbs...
Carley makes the Maglight bulbs...it's listed in their catalog as Krypton Star and Xenon Star Lamps. Their pricing is much higher than picking up the bulbs at your local Meijer/Walmart/etc.

Some excellent bulbs to run on 3 123 batteries is...
Radio Shack KPR112 - I find this too "fragile" (ie. close to the insta-flash edge) and have settled for the

Maglight Krypton 5-cell bulb. Another good choice is the

Carley 1057 at 6.0v 2.00a you can expect runtime of around 20 - 25 minutes. Another one that NT is refering to is the

Carley 1499 at 7.2v 1.84a which has a runtime of 25 - 30 minutes.

Both of these Carley bulbs run great on 6 rechargable AA nimh in a 2D light. Sooner or later, you'll probably want to replace the lens and reflector, but one can run them for a while before you will start to see signs of melting.

I hope that info helps. PM me if you need some direction on where to obtain the parts.