Question: currently best 2AA light?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'd like to get a 2AA LED light to keep in my work-bag. I have a handful. But the output is somewhat lacking on those. While the quality is decent at best on them, I'd like something better in that regard as well. The No-Brainer answer would be to just get a SureFire E2L AA model. However, I'd like a light with a black finish. Also, this one would need to be more versatile. Looking for screaming bright output, a decent low-mode, and strobe as well. (But strobe is optional.)

A pocket-carry clip would be nice too. But again, not a must-have. What is a must-have is a solid grip. I can't stand baby-smooth flashlights or lights where the checkering is so incredibly shallow that its just for show.

I really haven't kept up with the 2AA recent models. Generally prefering to focus on CR123 based lights. But would really prefer a 2AA set-up for work purposes and for carry in my work-bag. Despite the extra mode(s), I'd like the U.I. to still be somewhat simple so I can hand the light to a co-worker if necessary during an emergency and give him a quick rundown on how to switch it on and off to get to high mode.

Of the older models, I'm seriously considering the Energizer 2AA Ultimate Lithium Flashlight. No strobe, but low can be reached. While on/off operation is very simple and brings up the highest setting every time. The pocket-carry clip is just for show as trying to use it will bunch up the rubber sleeve and lead to headaches trying to fix the sleeve. (The clip is just an anti-roll feature.) The sleeve itself is quite good for getting a solid grip.

I know this because I own the single-AA version of this light. (The sleeve bunched up so badly after only clip-carrying it a couple of times that I had to cut off the sleeve entirely.) While the quality is quite good, the output is lacking nowadays. Same with the stated output on the 2AA version of this light.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Forget price-points. I'd prefer not to buy online for this one. But I'm realistic about the offerings at Brick & Mortar stores. They've gotten better, overall. But still far from ideal. Thanks, in advance.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you lived in the UK i would point you in the direction of our abundance of trade stores that sell all tools to professional users but for something decent one to consider is the Eagletac D25A2 clicky,easy to use (and explain) UI.I have the single AA version and i am using it all the time so much so i never seem to bother with much else these days apart from my constant shirt pocket Itp A3.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'd like to get a 2AA LED light to keep in my work-bag. I have a handful. But the output is somewhat lacking on those. While the quality is decent at best on them, I'd like something better in that regard as well. The No-Brainer answer would be to just get a SureFire E2L AA model. However, I'd like a light with a black finish. Also, this one would need to be more versatile. Looking for screaming bright output, a decent low-mode, and strobe as well. (But strobe is optional.)

A pocket-carry clip would be nice too. But again, not a must-have. What is a must-have is a solid grip. I can't stand baby-smooth flashlights or lights where the checkering is so incredibly shallow that its just for show.

<BIG SNIP>

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Forget price-points. I'd prefer not to buy online for this one. But I'm realistic about the offerings at Brick & Mortar stores. They've gotten better, overall. But still far from ideal. Thanks, in advance.

Surefire's E2L AA Outdoorsman flashlight ..... , 3-lumen beam or a brilliant 80-lumen source of illumination.

Personally I wouldn't call 80 lumens screaming bright, but if that works for you, then you might take a look at the Rayovac indestructible 2AA. 100 lumens high, 18 low. With those big rubber knobs at each end, there is no way you are going to drop it. Home depot, or walmart should have one near you for about $14.

Javora

Enlightened
If you don't mind a twist head light then I suggest the Thrunite Archer 2A. The low modes are great and it has a strobe. It has a good heft to it and has a very solid grip, even with nitrel gloves on. The rear forward click button is solid with a great momentary on. Hope this helps.

Led Astray

Newly Enlightened
I've got an Olight S15 - it's billed as a single AA but usually comes bundled with an extender, and in fact works best as a 2xAA. Selfbuilt did a review (which got my interest initially) and it ticks all your boxes. .12 moonlight, low, med and a high of 360 lumens. Plus a strobe. All with a clip and a removable magnet in the tail to attach it to magnetic surfaces. The UI is pretty straightforward too. Worth a look IMHO.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark Pro QP2A-X or Tactical QT2A-X are old lights, but still hold Selfbuilt's brightest 2AA record and also tick all the boxes.

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monocrom wants to get this light from a B&M store. That narrows the field a lot, depending, of course where he is located. I don't know what's in NYC.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Monocrom wants to get this light from a B&M store. That narrows the field a lot, depending, of course where he is located. I don't know what's in NYC.

Would prefer a B&M purchase. But will go for an online buy for the right light. :)

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'd like to get a 2AA LED light to keep in my work-bag. <snip> The No-Brainer answer would be to just get a SureFire E2L AA model. However, I'd like a light with a black finish. Also, this one would need to be more versatile. Looking for screaming bright output, a decent low-mode, and strobe as well. (But strobe is optional.)

A pocket-carry clip would be nice too. But again, not a must-have. What is a must-have is a solid grip. <snip>

I really haven't kept up with the 2AA recent models. Generally prefering to focus on CR123 based lights. <snip>

Of the older models, I'm seriously considering the Energizer 2AA Ultimate Lithium Flashlight.

Forget price-points. I'd prefer not to buy online for this one.

Perhaps you can better define what BEST means to you.

First you want only a B&M store, but don't tell us which B&M stores you are willing to go to, nor which lights they carry. Next you say... it doesn't matter, I can go online and get any light. IF IT'S THE RIGHT LIGHT.

You say... "forget price points" and say that the Surefire is the ideal "no brainer" except that it is gray, (not black). THEN you are seriously considering the 3-4 year old ENERGIZER?! I did an image search for it, and it is gray and black, or black and gray! Also in this thread NO-ONE thinks it compares well to other better lights. I'm thinking that PRICE is a consideration. Surefire... ~$150, Energizer ~$25.

Perhaps you can share your thoughts on the lights already suggested? That could help lead the discussion to a happy ending.

I did some shopping for you.

I thought that perhaps 47th street photo might carry flashlights, but no.
However I discovered that B&H photo does 34th and 9th ave.
bhphotovideo dot com
They have a couple of 2AA lights that *I* would rate as better than the gray and black energizer
Fenix LD22 Cree XPG2 215/105/50/3 lumens in BLACK
Pelican 2360 24/250 lumen with strobe

If you follow the recommend me a flashlight section of the site, you will have seen that often reppans makes undeniably excellent arguments for the quarks in the AA format. If you choose to go online, you might give his suggestions serious consideration. You might even find them in a B&M store in The Big Apple :)

Last edited:

Vinniec5

Enlightened
also at BHphoto the nitecore MT2A(280 lumen max and floody and MT21A( good throw 260 Lumens) I have the MT21A and really like it for a 2 AA backup light and its ability to throw for a 2Aa light

Thx Leon2245 I got my numbers reversed, all fixed:twothumbs

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
also at BHphoto the nitecore MT2A(280 lumen max and good throw and MT21A( more floody 260 Lumens) I have the MT2A and really like it for a 2 AA backup light

FYI regarding throw, nitecore rates its mt2a at 3300cd & their Mt21a at 10,000cd.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Would prefer a B&M purchase. But will go for an online buy for the right light. :)
Seriously man, help us to help you. You need to let us know, what would make it the right light.

It seems that your EDC is a Maratac AA. the following is snipped from... "What did you use your flashlight for today?"
Last night, walking through Manhattan to get to work, I spotted something odd on the ground. Too dark to make out what it was. Out came my S.S. Maratac AA model on high mode. Turned out to be a piece of a worthless cigarette wrapper.

From other posts in "What did you use your flashlight for today?" You have stated that you work security on a college campus, and some of your colleagues don't carry a light. You have found maglights with dead batteries in desk drawers.

You are not looking for a pocket carry edc, but rather one to throw in your work bag. It should have an easy to learn UI so that you can lend it out.

In this scenario, IMO, it wouldn't make sense to put a very expensive flashlight in your bag. What are your thoughts? How much do you want to spend? There's nothing wrong with saying... less than $20.

Have you considered putting a head lamp in your bag? It could give you added versatility, and yet could be carried like a flashlight by someone who doesn't have a flashlight. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Much thanks to those who made good suggestions and contributed to this topic. Unfortunately the nature of the job recently changed. (Something I've become familiar with at that particular client site.... Change just for the sake of change as the college's administrators are also constantly changing the rules. Yes, even on a daily basis. Students get pissed. Flood a certain Admin's e-mail inbox. And there we go all over again.)

Looks as though this one will be a purchase just for my collection of user lights, instead of one namely for work. Just a bit surprised that the 4Sevens Quarks are still at or near the top of the heap after this much time has passed. Seems David will be getting more of my money. :)

Once again, thanks to those who helped out.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Much thanks to those who made good suggestions and contributed to this topic. Unfortunately the nature of the job recently changed. (Something I've become familiar with at that particular client site.... Change just for the sake of change as the college's administrators are also constantly changing the rules. Yes, even on a daily basis. Students get pissed. Flood a certain Admin's e-mail inbox. And there we go all over again.)

Looks as though this one will be a purchase just for my collection of user lights, instead of one namely for work. Just a bit surprised that the 4Sevens Quarks are still at or near the top of the heap after this much time has passed. Seems David will be getting more of my money. :)

Once again, thanks to those who helped out.

Please let us know if it tops the 453 lumens the Eagletac D25A2 puts out, thanks.