question for darell (EV-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

**DONOTDELETE**

I had lost this thread about the EV-1 -- just found it again -- was wondering where it went -- should retitle it "EV-1"!
------------------------
opb Darrell:
------------------------
quote:
opb Ted the Led:
...I love the idea of being able to 'fill your tank' at any electric outlet -- you could drive for ever for free with all the 'hidden outlets' you could sip juice from out there
-----------------------
opb darrell:
In CA, you don't even have to steal the juice. There are currently about 1100 FREE 220V public chargers throughout CA. In a pinch, you can plug into 110 at grandma's though.
----------------------------
oh duh! for years I've seen those electric charging stations around here, there are several outside of Costco, I always used to wonder where you put the money in to pay for the juice!!! really
rolleyes.gif

Brock, what we need is a huge battery bank that we can easily load into the trunks of our cars, charge up for free (theres a station 2 miles from here at the state beach!) and then unload to power the house!

Brock

Flashaholic
LOL, I should always charge my cell phone at work
wink.gif
I have thought of bringing in my batteries and charging them here also (at work)

There you go Ted, I fixed the title, it does make more since that way.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:

Hey, she's a really cute kid !! How old is she ?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

shucks, thanks. She just turned 15 months.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
That car is just SMOOTH looking. Just look at that rear window line ...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll have to take a shot of the whole thing. It has the lowest coeficient of drag of ANY production car ever at 0.19. Add that to the purpose-built low rolling resistance tires, and you can just imagine how this thing glides at freeways speeds. It also very quiet at freeways speeds since there is no wind howl from anywhere.

More photos please. And this time round, include the proud owner ?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll see what I can do this weekend. But you'll wonder where my daughter got her good looks (until you see my wife!)

(Also, you've got an enviably well-organised garage. )
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It always scares me when I realize how much of my personal life I give away by posting pictures like that. When you have as much crap as I do, you HAVE to keep it organized. Everything goes vertical, or I woiuldn't be able to park anything in there!

Darell, you posted today elsewheres that this topic had faded somewhat. And yesterday, I posted an aside in another topic that "it [was] about time for an update on your EV"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man - tough to keep up with everywhere I post here...but I do try!

(Shucks, the guy is too busy writing to read replies in a topic he's posted in ...... )
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never too busy - just let one slip by I guess.

More please, and just update every time you got something to say
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will do. Unfortunately, I don't have too many more pictures yet, but I'd like to take some more - like one of the entire car!

What attention was paid to (road) safety considerations in the design ?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well of course it had to pass the same requirments of any passenger car in the US. Which of course was a huge weight-gaining problem. The measured in grams on this car, so all the safety equipment was a real headache. The car ended up about a foot longer than planned just to create the proper crumple zones on the nose. The cars tend to protect the occupants very well since you're surrounded by a heavy, maleable metal (lead). The few accidents they've been in have shown them to be very impressive at protecting the occupants.

Whew!

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted the Led:

Brock, what we need is a huge battery bank that we can easily load into the trunks of our cars...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah... if that huge battery bank is anything like mine it'll cost you $10k - $30k! Might be a bit cheaper to pay the power bill
smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
LOL, I should always charge my cell phone at work
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use my solar system to charge everything: Ham radio batteries (also powers my station), all cell phones, etc. I'm a nut, but there you go.

There you go Ted, I fixed the title, it does make more since that way.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I MAY just have to start a new thread of my own so I'm notified when somebody responds. I'd put a link at the top of it to point here of course. We'll see how it goes...

I've GOT to get to bed....

Darell

Flashaholic
One more thing before I head to bed:

We've had the EV1 for about three weeks now - and we're fighting over it (my wife and I). It is just too much fun to describe. We're paying about 1.5c/mile in "fuel" to drive it (compare that to 6c/mile in a gas car that gets 25mpg with $1.50 gas). It is damn near free! You just can't help wanting to drive the thing - especially if you like other drivers getting into wrecks trying to stare at you.

OK, time to go dream about my LED night-lighting system....

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I`m glad there was a link to this thread in another post. Well, I thought I was the hip, cool kid with my electric Citybug scooter but...I would rather have this car
smile.gif
And yes, the well organized garage bears little resembalance to my shed...god only knows were all my things are...somewhere in there...I hope.

I think all or most of our members love portable things...cordless drills, saws, flashlights...solar power...way cool...but a electric car...and a nice one to boot...well, I love it.

Look forward to more pic`s and info.

Ken

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
OK, I just eliminated the bigger pictures above to help David save bandwidth. I just plunked my current pictures onto a page that I will update as time goes on...[/URL]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice car, but this comment almost made me fece myself:

"Currently, GM's plan is to crush them all once the current leases are up"
Why on earth would they CRUSH them?!?!?
That's an awful waste.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
... Why on earth would they CRUSH them?!?!? That's an awful waste.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I read that - it's DISGUSTING and I am moderately furious and I want to post a rebuke to GM - Well, here it is:

GM, you are strongly rebuked.

Darell, just don't let them take it back ! Use your Frontier Spirit !!

These facts are xtra-sooper:

... Can be used in carpool lane with single occupant ... acceleration is only limited by the traction of the front tires ... A slightly modified version of this car (the Impact1) held the production EV land speed record in 1997 at 183mph ... cd is 0.19. Lowest of any production car ever.

In fact, how about printing a small info card for the windscreen, so people can read up on it if you're parked. Honestly, that kind of thing is a public service, especially since they're so little known.

lightlover
frown.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
shocked.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken B:
Well, I thought I was the hip, cool kid with my electric Citybug scooter but...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You ARE cool. I'd love to ride your scoot sometime. I'm just a bit *faster* brand of electric cool.
smile.gif

Look forward to more pic`s and info.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll do what I can when I have time. I'm thrilled that there is so much interest. I think I will start my own thead though, and link back to this one...

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:

Nice car, but this comment almost made me fece myself:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is "fece" a real verb? Hope so, 'cause I'd like to start using it too...

Why on earth would they CRUSH them?!?!?
That's an awful waste.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't that suck? It's all politics. The first thing they did was recall ALL of them after less than a year. And they weren't gonna give them back. The problem is, they made this excellent car, then didn't want anybody to drive them - for fear of being forced to make more of them. The fear comes from Big Auto thinking that the American public won't spend the money for them. It has become a vicious circle that is UGLY. GM has spend $billions to fight the mandate that would require EVs. If that money was instead spent on research, just imagine where we'd be with EVs today! I'm just steeped in this stuff these days, and am very interested in how it will all turn out. Once people drive a REAL electric car - there is simply no substitute. I hope to never again be without an EV...

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:
Darell, just don't let them take it back ! Use your Frontier Spirit !!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what happened during the first recall. The lessees were hiding them to avoid having to give them back - seriously. But it's hard to hide a car and still enjoy driving it...

In fact, how about printing a small info card
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Done. Sometimes I just don't have the 10 minutes to explain the car everytime I park it. And somebody ALWAYS asks something when they see it. I printed up some flyers that have the relevant info. Really there are about four main questions that the general public asks. The fifth most common question is "what kind of gas mileage does it REALLY get?
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.