Question for the McGizmo/Lummi/Cool Fall etc designers.....

*Dusty*

Enlightened
Your lights, from what I can see, seem to be viewed as the "ultimate" in their fields and while this is reflected in the premium pricing (not a complaint, merely an observation!) they seem to me to be like a real collectors item.

My question to you is this,

Would you gain more satisfaction from knowing your lights are being used as was intended, or that is is being sat on a shelf and being preserved and admired by collectors but not used?

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in hearing these views also, thanks for bringing this up. For some reason I always thought of this but never asked.

I seem to recall Orb saying that his lights were made to be useful and carried as EDC, as the lights make a striking statement due to the beauty but yet also have perfect function.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don and Dave have both said their lights are to be used and not become shelf queens.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don´t think I´m wrong when I say all the custom makers intend their lights to be actually used. I can´t imagine any of them designing and making a light to be put on a shelf or in a save. What´d be the reason for that?

It´s just us collectors who make the decision to use a light or to make it a shelfqueen.

Eric

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were them I would get 1000 times more satisfaction to know that my creations are seing some real use, behave as expected and meet the buyer's expectation.

*Dusty*

Enlightened
I don´t think I´m wrong when I say all the custom makers intend their lights to be actually used. I can´t imagine any of them designing and making a light to be put on a shelf or in a save. What´d be the reason for that?

It´s just us collectors who make the decision to use a light or to make it a shelfqueen.

Eric

I have no doubt that the lights were originally designed to be used. My point is if I designed a light, and it turned out to be considered a collectors item, I'd be more than a little satisfied :laughing:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I would hope that all of my lights be considered collectibles and not sullied by actual use and that is why I provide them in what I consider to be appropriate and quite ornate, presentation cases. :nana:

Not.

Actually, I hope my lights provide service and value to those who get them. I am flattered when they are considered worthy of being part of a collection and it is my hope and intent that the lights will last a really long time whether they sit on a shelf, sans battery or ride on the person and get used daily.

To answer the OP's question, my satisfaction is driven by the owner's satisfaction. Clearly this can reach maximum potential when I am honest about the light, the light is honest itself and the owner understands what it is he has or intends to obtain. The lights are designed to perform per a set of criteria and subject to unavoidable compromise. The compromises are based on physics and not necessarily material choice, based on cost. I attempt to cater to applications of illumination and it is up to the user to make the choices based on whatever matters to them.

The only place I would hope one of my lights never ends up in, is a land fill.