Question for Vinh on IPX ratings

nickdizonc

Newly Enlightened
Hi Vinh,

On your custom lights, since you modify the internals of the light, are the IPX ratings that each light is certified with from the factory compromised at all? I am going camping in a few weeks and want to know which lights can come along for the trip. There is always a chance of getting wet when you're out in the wilderness so better ask first rather than cry after I find out firsthand:)

Hi Vinh,

On your custom lights, since you modify the internals of the light, are the IPX ratings that each light is certified with from the factory compromised at all? I am going camping in a few weeks and want to know which lights can come along for the trip. There is always a chance of getting wet when you're out in the wilderness so better ask first rather than cry after I find out firsthand:)

He doesn't warn us that the IPX rating is compromised from his modding, so I'm sure you you nothing to worry about.
I've washed a few of Vinh's lights under running water after going on beach walks at night (wash off salt spray) and no problems at all.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
nickdizonc, just do like a few members, and always buy 2 of each vn light!! That way you always have a spare. :nana:

My wife once told me: "Your left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing". So now when I buy two, I just simply throw it back at her, and say now both hands know what each is doing and I am only being fair! :poke:

Seriously, if you are worried, I would double check the condition of any orings. I would probably make sure they are seated properly and not pinched, torn, or worn. Then I would likely apply a generous amount of lube to the threads. If I am going to the beach or very muddy areas with my wife, I have been know to carry spare rings & lube (FOR MY FLASHLIGHT). :hitit:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first thing i do when a new light arrive, is to dunk it in water. It's to test the design/ fittings.
I wouldent worry about water. Some few lights are not waterproof, most lights are (any brand). If you dont take good care of your light, it wont be waterproof for long. Even dive rated lights will eventually leak with dry o-rings or hair on the o-rings etc. So the only way to make sure your light is waterproof, is to check it, clean it, and keep lubing it.

Every single light is not "ip" tested. I guess they take one light and test it and says "this design" is ip68 etc. what the ip scale means: fist digit is for dust proof etc. Second digit is waterproof. Ipx8 means its not tested against dust (x), and its fully waterproof (8). I guess "Ipx" means not tested at all :)

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Most electronics are at least splash proof (I won't say all) even if not buy designs, I'd say almost every flashlight is, just don't go swimming with then unless they say IPX4+ on them, as far as vinhs mod I don't think it will effect the light in anyway as his mods are elctorinc and internal and don't effect the host bar polishing and engraving, unless he states it and the light is waterproof from factory I'd imagine its safe to assume it is so.

Unless of course vinh forgets to put it back together again, but I'd think you'd noticed that ahaha, just kidding.

To clarify I mean electronics won't fail unless water get inside hence my most are OK in mist / rain for a short while (under a minute) as often its just the outside that gets wet, of course it depends what your using but if never lost a electronic gadet to water get despite using my phone in the rain...of course I don't suggest it though!!!

Last edited: