Question: For what purpose do you use your high lumen output lights?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not opposed to high lumens, but I absolutely detest the current marketing BS where they advertise "2000 lumen pocket light!!!" and then in the fine print far below, you find out it drops down to 400 or so after a minute.

It's ironic that the ANSI standard was meant to create transparency and accuracy to these ratings, but then manufacturers immediately realized they could take advantage of the short measurement time for output, and just have their lights take a huge step down after a minute or two but still market the light as a "2000" lumen light (or whatever) when in reality it's a 400 lumen light that happens to have a short burst mode.

Dang, I'm turning into the Clint Eastwood of flashlights......NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!! :D
ANSFI FL1 was never meant about flat regulated output. Far far from it.

And you can't blame makers adhering to a standard if one exists.

Lets face it, your car doesn't make PEAK power all the time you drive it. It does it for a very small part of the rev band. And most modern cars then use torque limiting technology, so that as a rule cars only make PEAK power in higher gears and generally make a whole lot less in 1st & 2nd gear.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Yeah I think its mostly the misleading marketing around it as well as cheap chinese lights claiming "100.000 lumens" to then deliver 300.
Well made high output lights serve their purpose & im sure are indispensable for some people, but I think most people actually need a lot less light then they think they do.
If a person wants to get a masterblaster for fun and experimentation, fine. Seems like it is also useful for the more experienced members here to bring up the aspect of how eyes work in terms of utilizing the light more effectively? Defining oneś goal with portable illumination then achieving the goal is worthwhile.

The aspect of a tight thrower like an LEP being able to narrowly define an area of interest is certainly valid. Turns out in thick forest, a person can ¨look past¨ the closest tree/shrub branches with a tight beam, rather than getting a lot of light reflection from those close branches with a flashlight casting a wider beam.

Sabrewulf

Newly Enlightened
Look down on people who want high lumens? Some just question the urge to have so much output. Often because the unelightened are led to believe that more lumens always equals better, which leads to marketing folks exagerating or even flat out fibbing in order to gain market share often using sub-par products or out right junk.
Yeah I understand that some people only look for high lumens.
The #1 thing I look for is color, I like warm/neutral with high CRI, then good moon and good turbo.
If it only comes in bluish tint, I won't even consider it.

To me, if a light can't get bright, it's like a knife that can't get sharp.