Question: For what purpose do you use your high lumen output lights?

This question is asked out of genuine curiosity. Most of my lights are selected and used in support of my backpacking excursions, almost all of which are in woodland environments, where lights featuring a balance of flood and throw have the greatest utility. (In a forest, a too-bright beam is going to blind the user with light reflected from nearby trees and rocks, making it less than optimum.) Still, I recognize that there are many legitimate uses for high-output lights. Some examples I'm familiar with are:
- search and rescue
- law enforcement / security / military
- aircraft preflight inspection (assuming you operate something larger than a twin Cessna)
- predator control
- marine engine compartment work
- warehouse work
- boating (mostly canoes and kayaks, in my world)
- impressing muggles (OK, maybe not as "legitimate" as the others, but still wicked fun).

I'm pretty sure there are other, more unique uses for 4000+ lumens. I hope to encourage you to share your high-output uses with the community.

Inquiring minds want to know...:anyone:

Lumen83

Enlightened
Its funny, you and I have a very similar opinion on lights. And you pretty much nailed all of the use cases I could think of for high lumens. It can also be beneficial to have a really bright handheld light in fire and emergency response services. Although, most come in the form of box lights that would not qualify as high lumens on this forum.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
As a rule I don't use about 1000 lumens and only have one light that puts out more than that. If I need to see waaaaaaaaay in the distance I use a higher candela light. That way my night vision isn't so drastically altered.

To me the shape of the beam matters more than shear output. At my work a fellow had a light shaped like a square pie pan that put out like 750 lumens but the ginormous nearly flat reflector caused it to light an area like a much much higher output light would yet he kept it strapped to the back of his hand because it didn't get very hot. Most amazing hand held light I had seen in a long time.

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 1x21700 SBT90.2 convoy tube handheld that I put together.
It's by far the highest lumen output I have.
It's a single mode high only.
I grab it when I need to press a button and release a wall of bright light in a defense or awareness scenario.
I know some say flashlights aren't good for that, but the SBT90.2 is a different animal.
Of course you better have a backup plan because that hot potato can't be held for more than 30 seconds.

3_gun

Enlightened
I have a few 4K/L+ lights but they are very seldom used at those levels. They do let me use an actual 750L+ for hours or 100'ish L for days w/o needing recharging. They provide a lot of flexibility if you can avoid "turbo". The building(s) I lock up have 100yd+ hallways so a big punch does come in handy, just not very often

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 1x21700 SBT90.2 convoy tube handheld that I put together.
It's by far the highest lumen output I have.
It's a single mode high only.
I grab it when I need to press a button and release a wall of bright light in a defense or awareness scenario.
I know some say flashlights aren't good for that, but the SBT90.2 is a different animal.
Of course you better have a backup plan because that hot potato can't be held for more than 30 seconds.
Curious, but how often do you actually need to "defend" yourself?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
This question is asked out of genuine curiosity. Most of my lights are selected and used in support of my backpacking excursions, almost all of which are in woodland environments, where lights featuring a balance of flood and throw have the greatest utility. (In a forest, a too-bright beam is going to blind the user with light reflected from nearby trees and rocks, making it less than optimum.) Still, I recognize that there are many legitimate uses for high-output lights. Some examples I'm familiar with are:
- search and rescue
- law enforcement / security / military
- aircraft preflight inspection (assuming you operate something larger than a twin Cessna)
- predator control
- marine engine compartment work
- warehouse work
- boating (mostly canoes and kayaks, in my world)
- impressing muggles (OK, maybe not as "legitimate" as the others, but still wicked fun).

I'm pretty sure there are other, more unique uses for 4000+ lumens. I hope to encourage you to share your high-output uses with the community.

Inquiring minds want to know...:anyone:
Guess it also depends how define High output.

I have lots of lights, but the vast majority of them on their highest modes are way lower than 4000 lumens. Maybe only 10% of this or less. Yet, contextually that would still be the high output for those lights and still very high if it is a small AAA/AA/16340 light.

I guess the most simplistic answer is. When more light and/or range is desired or needed.

Re: you list, apart from the last entry, I'm not sure any of those would require anything close to 4000 lumens. But it is more about the beam profile in lots of cases.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
The highest lumen I have right now is a Streamlight Protac HL 5-X with 3500 lumens. There's plenty of other lights for inside, close-up, etc. Even outdoors camping, my hardware-store Energizer headlamp was more useful than the Protac for setting up the tent etc, but for longer range (100 feet+) that light took the cake. It's awkward to use up close, you can't hold it in your teeth when doing something, but to see what was in the distance, it was perfect. I had no issues navigating on trails or checking the surrounding woods with that baby.

Reactions: hsa

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it's mostly for fun!

Really I can get by with lower output lights, my EDC is an HDS NLT but as I live in the city, I sometimes need more lumens to overcome the street lights.
My most used lights are about 1,000 lumens or less but as bykfixer mentioned, beam shape goes a long way. My Convoy C8 (going to be replaced at some point) has less lumens than my Malkoff M91N but puts a more intense hotspot out there.
My most powerful light, Manker MK39vn gets used for fun or for extended runtimes at lower levels.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For me it's mostly for fun!

Really I can get by with lower output lights, my EDC is an HDS NLT but as I live in the city, I sometimes need more lumens to overcome the street lights.
My most used lights are about 1,000 lumens or less but as bykfixer mentioned, beam shape goes a long way. My Convoy C8 (going to be replaced at some point) has less lumens than my Malkoff M91N but puts a more intense hotspot out there.
My most powerful light, Manker MK39vn gets used for fun or for extended runtimes at lower levels.
Yeah, when using a light in a place with lots of light pollution it takes a lot more output to light up shadows. Shadows in many cases are partially lit but the contrast of all those lumens from the light pollution causes them to appear darker than they really are. In other words the shadow in a big city might actually be lit enough where if it were lit that much in the darkened woods you might not need a flashlight.

I have the Protac HL4 ten tapped to start on low in order to add the 600 lumen medium. That is the setting used 99% of the time I use that light. Every now and then I'll turn it to high just for the thrill of lighting up block on my street so the hippy neighbors think "oh snap put that bong away it's the cops". 😁

Monocrom

Flashaholic
At work. My graveyard shift job involves foot-patrol of 4 massive parking lots. I need high output and plenty of throw. Wish I could say it's usually a pleasant stroll. Nope! Though thanks to my efforts, there seems to be fewer and fewer trespassers lately. The lots are thankfully developing a reputation as being unfriendly to those who want to drive in, sleep, hang out, get drunk, or just cause random trouble in general.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
As a plumber it's a big help to have a high output light so you can work with more accuracy and efficiency. Such as when it gets dark at 5:30 and you still have a bunch of ditch line to fill in, or need to see on the other side of an attic or crawl space, or make sure that leak you fixed isn't still leaking in that dark cabinet. There are times when low output is needed just to keep from blinding yourself, but a high output is most often better for my work purposes.

Lately I've been using my zebra sc700d at work and it's a killer work light. Most often it's used on the 500 something lumen mode.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Monocrom for stepping up at your important job.

Our application (walking dogs in mixed terrain-moderate throw) does not need long runtime. Instead of carrying a monster torch that blasts our pupils, I carry a moderate thrower (single 18650) and a multipurpose single 18650 that will be combined if maximum throw or lumens is desired. I had one of those Nitecore TM-26 when they were running XML's; just not needed for our objective, and unnecessarily heavy in the hand.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I use high output on my lights when I need to flood an area with light. The beam shape is much more important to me than max lumens. A high power flooder is much more useful to me than a 1000 yard thrower. The malkoff hound dog super is a great compromise for me as it's bright throws good and is not a pencil beam. The new WC minus the diffuser film is also one of my favorites.