• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Question on different types of Ti27 heads

PhantomZ

Enlightened
i understand that the Ti XR27 is a Cree LED and the S27 is the Seoul LED, and both head's lens/window are held in place with 1 or 2 o-rings, but i've seen a pic where the head uses a screwed on bezel ring to keep the lens/window in? when was that one made or is it only a custom job? or am i seeing things? i couldnt find the answer in the Mcgizmo's FAQs.

if anyone has a Ti S27-C that would sell to me, possibly we can work out a payment plan. pls pm me~

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe what you were seeing (i.e. the one with the screw-on bezel ring) are the Luxeon-based Ti 27L-PD's (all 6/4 titanium) that were last year's prototypes and never officially released by McGizmo. Extremely rare collectable lights. You'd be paying four figures on these lights at a minimum. I know because I've been making four figure private offers and got the door slammed on my face..... :aaa: :barf:

The ones we see now (XR27-PD and S27-PD) have no bezel rings and I believe a portion of the lights are made of CP grade Titanium. Not as rare as the Lux-III based lights, but these still command a good premium.

WP

tdurand

Enlightened
WAVE_PARTICLE said:
I believe what you were seeing (i.e. the one with the screw-on bezel ring) are the Luxeon-based Ti 27L-PD's (all 6/4 titanium) that were last year's prototypes and never officially released by McGizmo. Extremely rare collectable lights. You'd be paying four figures on these lights at a minimum. I know because I've been making four figure private offers and got the door slammed on my face..... :aaa: :barf:

WP

I think E. Mack is drivin' a fat S-Class with some twomp-twomps now.....

T

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
tdurand said:
I think E. Mack is drivin' a fat S-Class with some twomp-twomps now.....

T

Hmmm.... wonder what twomp-twomps are? :laughing: Either I'm too old (likely), or this is some cheese-head thing?! :touche:

:lolsign:
EM

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Woah... easy on the cheese-head thing buddy... although I live in Chicago, and I don't eat cheese, I still bleed Green & Gold, and I've got tdurand's back all the way. I ain't afraid of no MACK!

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
jch79 said:
Woah... easy on the cheese-head thing buddy... although I live in Chicago, and I don't eat cheese, I still bleed Green & Gold, and I've got tdurand's back all the way. I ain't afraid of no MACK!

Whoa, down boy! :lolsign: Good natured teasing back at Ty, Buckeye to Badger. :) Green & Gold.... Domer colors? :laughing:

jch79

We've got a couple of them Buckeye types in our office... bunch of weirdo's! :nana: :wave:

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
jch79 said:
We've got a couple of them Buckeye types in our office... bunch of weirdo's! :nana: :wave:

Yep, obnoxious bunch, aren't they? :nana: Hey, send us back A.J. please... We miss and NEED him! :sigh:

jch79

Oh man - talk about SNUBBED on defensive rookie of the year - that guy is amazing. At first I was skeptical about their choice, but by midseason, he was on frickin' fire!

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
My apologies, Phantom. Didn't mean to go so far OT... Its a disease. :grin2:

A.J. will only get better... Unless his new wife (Brady Quinn's sister!) cuts his goldi-locks...:eek:oo:

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are you guys talking about, again?

I can't stop staring at EMack's avatar.... gotta luv it when a beautiful woman grips your torch like that!

:thumbsup: WP

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Not to put a dampner on cheese and pig skin which I am totally ignorant about, as to the 27 heads.........

I think I had 10 ea. 27 heads made over a year ago that had threaded bezel rings. I had a mixed number of PD paks and 2x123 twisty paks made to go with them. These heads were based on the 27LT geometry with double O-rings. These were all 6-4. I have managed to keep a 2x123 for a dive light and I have a PD version that I bead blasted. The balance were taken from me by offers I couldn't refuse and at prices I would not have been comfortable suggesting. :eek:

The XR27 and S27 heads are from the same run that took over a year to get completed. There were about 100 of these made and about half are now out in population. The other half could easily be released as S27-PD's I believe but I am keeping them for a planned S27-Cx2 which consists of a 2x123 clickie pak, first article for which is long overdue but might arrive this week. These heads are CP in material. I have not provided the drawings of these to the active machine shop for a second run consideration yet because I don't know what I am doing yet; if I ever will!

There is one of these 27 heads being used in a proto LunaSol that I have been carrying since I made it and this light best suits my needs and ideas of what an outdoor light should be. The proto is a LunaSol27-PD but I want to look into the possibility of a LunaSol27-PD2X as well. The problem is time and too many legitimate alternatives! Well the other problem is the need for the electronic blackmagic inside and once again I should point out that if it weren't for Wayne Y I wouldn't be doing any of these lights! The LunaSol really needs a converter that doesn't exist yet. I have commited an order to a bunch of McR-LunaSol 27 reflectors so I do need to figure out something! :green:

The LunaSol is about near and mid range, wide angle illumination. Near via Low which is provided by 6 ea. Nichia 310CS LED's and mid is provided by a Cree XRE coupled with a McR-17XR parabolic surface. The proto drives the Cree at 425 mA but I would like to visit a higher drive level like 700mA if I mate the head with 2xCr123.

Proto:

LunaSol27-proto.jpg

The ideal driver for this dual source light is not trivial and in discussions with Wayne, the 2xCR123 platform is a more friendly environment. Time will tell.

charlesn

Enlightened
WAVE_PARTICLE said:
I believe what you were seeing (i.e. the one with the screw-on bezel ring) are the Luxeon-based Ti 27L-PD's (all 6/4 titanium) that were last year's prototypes and never officially released by McGizmo. Extremely rare collectable lights. You'd be paying four figures on these lights at a minimum. I know because I've been making four figure private offers and got the door slammed on my face..... :aaa: :barf: WP

Well, Kenster paid awtyd $1650 for the only one that I've ever seen offered for sale publicly. However, Dad was selling an EXTRA one that he had (how did he manage to get TWO?!), so you might have to pay even more to convince one of the very few owners to part with their only light.

jch79

Don - what a great way to break our crazy sports talk! :thumbsup: Thanks for the update on your projects - that picture really says it all! The machining on the ring that houses the Nichia's looks awesome!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
jch,
That ring is just a crude proto. The McR-LunaSol27 reflectors on order are a unified piece and there will be individual reflective "cans" for the Nichias to aid in getting out their light. It may not look as interesting as the proto but I expect its performance to be better. :shrug: :popcorn:

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
charlesn said:
you might have to pay even more to convince one of the very few owners to part with their only light.

This is very true. These are very special lights, and the ones I have are very special to me. :)

Don, the LunaSol looks great! And no, I won't pester you trying to buy it! :nana: You'd say no anyway. :sigh:

tdurand

Enlightened
jch79 said:
Don - what a great way to break our crazy sports talk! :thumbsup: Thanks for the update on your projects - that picture really says it all! The machining on the ring that houses the Nichia's looks awesome!

I like the way Don does that too. It's like "OK, enough of the chit chat....here's what I got."

Don that LunaSol looks like a useful light with more than it's share of utility. I'd be interested to hear the logistical problems with finding or inventing a driver from yourself or WY.

Any plans to make it larger, like scale it to fit the HD45 with a McS38 reflector in the middle? :)

OK back OT, Wisconsin is gonna win it all, I know cuz I bet money on Marquette and I always lose, so the Badgers gotta win....twomp-twomp is street slang for 22" rims....and finally you simply can't beat a Johnsonville Brat with a cold beer (my choice is Smithwick's) on a hot summer day. Nope can't beat it. It's almost 70 degrees here now in WI, a record breaker. Bring on the cook-outs!:rock:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
2x123 PD ... I really like that. Together with 700mA ... I like it even more. Now pack all this is a 2" head and I will kiss your feet.

I think if I repeat that another 20 times the light will be made finally .. :D :nana:

bk