Question on the Legality of Flashlights ...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That was a project PK had done outside of his office Red.
Worlds biggest, worlds brightest flashlight. The photo is through a window in the office he worked in a couple years back.

The Chinese government would not let him light it even after he had it reduced down to only 36,000 watts. :sigh:

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a retired law enforcement officer, I can tell you that you are safe. In the event that law enforcement did show up, you have a good reason for being outside with a flashlight.

Prowling around at night outside with a flashlight when police arrive.

Isn't that a bit risky? What if the police think you're a burglar?

nbp

Flashaholic
In my opinion, Police aren't morons. I think within a few moments of discussion they can discern a prowler from someone looking for a lost cat in the woods. And if you're outside in the dark in a park or public area and it's clear what you are doing, you really aren't doing anything wrong. If you are on private property or are sneaking around someone's house you shouldn't be there without permission anyways, whether it's daylight or nighttime.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion, Police aren't morons. I think within a few moments of discussion they can discern a prowler from someone looking for a lost cat in the woods. And if you're outside in the dark in a park or public area and it's clear what you are doing, you really aren't doing anything wrong. If you are on private property or are sneaking around someone's house you shouldn't be there without permission anyways, whether it's daylight or nighttime.

Bad attitude neighbor called sheriff one night because I was testing a new high current switch. It was a triple fairly wide beam. The claim was I was shining it into their house. A pair of LEO's showed up and I explained the situation. We all compared flashlights and it was over.

Lumenologist

Newly Enlightened
It's dark when I get up to walk the dog. Likewise at night. I usually rely on a headlight to see, but to be seen, I have one of a few Olight Pro model throwers in my hand. Going home I ***** about the bright car lights in my eyes, many on high. So as a set of newer high beams approach me, I just activate the 2250 lumen Warrior X Pro, pointing it at the ground. Seems cars slow down and dim their beams when they see the light.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here when walking the dog. I light up the power lines along the road and drivers dim their headlights before they see me thinking I'm a car. A better way than shining the car to dim their lights.

PartyPete

Enlightened
There's no laws anywhere that I'm aware of that forbid you to carry one but in some situations it could lead to having to talk with police.

People call the police for numerous reasons; some legitimate, some petty. How they respond can vary. Someone could simply call and say there's a person walking down the street with a flashlight and they seem "suspicious". Depending on your area the police may check it out or not.

It's not illegal to walk at night with a flashlight per say but it could be a nuisance issue if the person is indeed shining it at houses and such.

Of course there's always that one person in every neighborhood that always wants to be nosy, or make problems for everyone. So while the person out walking with light may not have any ill intent, the caller could very well grossly exaggerate it to a situation where it appears they are out prowling around, looking for houses to rob.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that while this isn't necessarily an illegal activity, don't be surprised if some overzealous neighbor calls the cops in a residential area.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I did have an idiot neighbor accost me when I was using a flashlight walking up to my own front door. She was new in the area and I had been there for years.

It's pretty much pitch dark on this stretch of road since we don't have streetlights nearby. I'd been using a light in this way for 10+ years and she was the first who ever freaked out and thought I was breaking into the place. :shakehead

I slowly and patiently explained to her that it is dark and I cannot see in the dark, and a criminal would not be shining around a bright flashlight when he is committing his covert breaking & entering crimes. She still didn't seem convinced to that logic but at least she didn't call the cops on me. :ironic: