Questions about a few maxpedition products.

chpmmttn

Newly Enlightened
A few days ago I came across a link to the Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack and upon seeing it suddenly I realized that I needed one. I currently carry a large amount of junk in a combination of cargo pants, jacket pockets and an amorphous LL bean messenger bag (although as amorphous messenger bags go it's the best I've seen and I've had it for about seven years). This has been causing some issues in that I have to lug around the bag while the most important items get spread out between seven pockets on my person. Often times I'll misplace something in the wrong pair of pants or not have the bag with me because of the bulk and need something from it.

I think that with the Fatboy I could consolidate all of my debris into a much more manageable and useful package. No longer will I have to go without something when I'm not wearing cargo pants or have to wear a sweatshirt on a hot day just to get those two extra pockets to hold something.

But... I am worried that the Fatboy may be too small. I am fine with carrying a tactical man purse, but I am loath to go to a fanny pack or something that I wear attached to a belt, so the form factor of the Fatboy is what I want and hopefully you guys could help me decide if it will actually do everything that I want.

After skimming through this forum it appears that this place is filled with knowledge on these bags. I gained a lot of information by reading through the threads, but I still a few unanswered questions.

1. Would it be possible to hold a spiral bound 8 1/2 x 11 notebook sideways under the flap for the main compartment? Some bending would be acceptable, and I am aware that it would stick out on the sides. I just want to know if it is secure and if it would actually fit.

2. I have read some accounts of people attaching other Maxpedition pouches to the Fatboy but I have not found any decent pictures. What pouches have people had success with attaching? To which point are these attached? Do you have any pictures? Ideally I'd like to attach an H1 to the point by the key clip, but it looks like it might interfere with the compartments of Fatboy too much. Some obstruction I could live with, but I do not want to have to remove the bag to get at something. Also I'm worried that the sheath on the H1 might chafe against the right arm. So if someone would want to humor me and they have the right bags, maybe they could put up a picture of the Fatboy with an H1 attached up on the back shoulder strap. Being worn would be preferable, but just seeing the two bags in the same picture would help me understand the actual scale of the two.

3. From pictures and descriptions I have seen it is unclear how exactly the Universal Flashlight Pouch works. Do the sides come apart or is it just a big tube that can be tightened up with a strap. What I would like to have is basically a thick strap that I can secure a tripod to the back of the bag with. I doubt this pouch is big enough to fit it, but if I could pass it around two of the legs I think it would work. But I have a feeling it will not do what I want it to.

Any help would be appreciated and I must thank you all for all the information I have already gathered.

mokona2

Enlightened
1. Here's Maxpedition's specs on the Fatboy:
http://www.maxpedition.com/product/product_vp_fatboy.htm

2. On this version (#0403), there is a single attachment point on the left end of the shoulder strap. I believe any of the smaller hip pouches will fit using a pair of MALICE clips. On the S-type (#0408), both ends of the shoulder strap have attachment points.
Detail for the H-1 connection using MALICE clips:
http://www.maxpedition.com/product/product_h1.htm

3. I don't have one personally, but I think there is a cinching strap across two opposing flaps (held together with a double-sided velcro strap).
http://www.maxpedition.com/product/product_sheath_universal.htm

If you want something a bit larger and can wait, I believe there is a Jumbo size for the Fatboy coming soon.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the other Maxpedition thread has a few pics of the new Jumbo Fatboy. Glorious pics. Me want. Now.

chpmmttn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the links mokona2, but I've already seen them and have been pouring over them for the past few days, as well as any other information i could find. I even went as far as putting an H1 onto the fatboy in photoshop to see if it would be feasible. It'll either be a perfect fit, or be comepletely unworkable.

I saw those Jumbo pics as soon as I posted my questions. I think I could have saved myself the time of writing that up if I had just waited five minutes, But if anyone can answer my questions I would still be very interested.

mokona2

Enlightened
I don't think a letter size notebook will fit securely under the main flap. It would probably slip since there is only one quick release buckle holding it in place.

I'm almost certain the H-1 will fit on the attachment point of the Fatboy. There is certainly enough space above the main compartment so the H-1 will not interfere with it.

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
I have EDC'd the Fatboy for about four months or so - it's mainly my lazy-man's way to tote my 1911. The regular Fatboy holds a ton of stuff. Mine daily carries the aforemention full-size 1911, Wave, PDA (nice little compartment for that), wallet, spare mag, OC, keys on a kubaton, gauze bandages, and spare Oakleys. The only thing in the main compartment is the gun and glasses! I find myself adding to the load - because I can. I'll bet if you get the big Fatboy, you'll end up lugging around 50 lbs. of stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
chpmmttn and Bloodnut, welcome to CPF, and why dontcha stay awhile!

Thanks for the props, KDOG3, on my Jumbo pics!

I usually attach an M2 pouch to my Fatboy, and it rides perfect with short malice clips, I haven't tried the H1 on there, but I'd say while it's less than an inch longer than the M2, it's also wider.

So, it will be closer to the stuff below, which I don't think is a problem, but the wider may make it harder to get into the long zippered pouch, and if you load it up, the balance could be a bit compromised. Still, I think it would work OK in the end.

welcome again,
daloosh

Deanster

Enlightened
Hi gang -

I just gave it a try, and a thin 8.5x11 notebook rides surprisingly well there - it does take a pretty good bend in the middle, but the flap covers about 80% of the notebook, and it doesn't seem inclined to slip. The thinner the book the better, though - mine's only a 50-page book with a light cardboard backing, and it's supple enough to form nicely to the bag. Not something I'd do daily, but it works OK, and doesn't seem likely to depart on a bike ride.

The H-1 fits nicely on the Fatboy's rear attachment point, and works great there, until it's time to open the Fatboy flap. You can't really open the flap beyond the horizontal with the H-1 on there, and the Fatboy slung over your shoulder.

Depending on your uses, this may or may not be a big deal. I'm mostly into the outer pockets of my FatBoy when I've got it slung, and in the inner pocket when it's off. When off, you can fold over the strap and H-1, so it's out of the way, and you can open the Fatboy normally. I find the H1 too bulky here, but it certainly could work. I think an M-1 or M-2 or single utility sheath is better here, but that's just me.

Finally, the FatBoy is perfect for getting all that crud out of your pockets, and the smaller items out of your bag, but it's not really much of a carry bag itself, as internal space is limited.

That said, I think that anything much larger than a Fatboy gets uncomfortable over one shoulder or cross-body - two shoulder straps or a waistbelt seem in order for much more weight than a loaded Fatboy.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to try - we've got most things in stock, and I always enjoy trying new configurations... not that I'm a gear junkie or anything. Really... I'm not. Really!

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the M2 and the H1. Originally, I was going to attatch the two together, but the M2 is big enough for an EDC and the H1 now makes an excellent camera bag. However, now that this Jumbo Fatboy is coming out, I'll be able to carry everything in there with gobs of room to spare.... As far as the weight on your shoulder issue that Deanster mentioned goes, that pretty much depends what you'll have in there.

*Daloosh* Puh-leeze post any new info you get about the upcoming models!!!

chpmmttn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot for checking that out Deanster, and I do have some more questions.

When the H1 was attached, could you access it while wearing the Fatboy by sliding the bag around to the front? I like the opening for the large compartment on the H1, but it would be a problem if it rides too high on the strap, or sits at an angle it would not be convenient for quickly accessing items. This would be very important if, like you said, the H1 blocks the main compartment of the Fatboy from opening while being worn.

Could you access the H1's sheath while the bag was on your side? It seems like the sheath might be a little awkward to access with the right hand, but if it is positioned right a left hand draw across the front might be more convenient.

Is the large zippered pocket on the Fatboy accessible with the H1 attached?

When you say that the H1 is too bulky, I assume that you mean by the height and width of it. After going over the measurements on the Maxpedition website, it appears that a fully loaded H1 would be flatter than a fully loaded M1 by 1.5 inches and an M2 by .5 inch. I would think that this would make the H1 easier to swing around under the arm to be accessed in the front, unless, due to it's width it bumps into the arm while it is worn. I'm not completely sure of this though, since it's not really clear if the dimensions are of the actual bag or just the interior of the bags.

The main reason I like the H1 is for the flatter depth and the more weather resistant opening. The only other pouch that has this opening is the M4, but that seems like it would be much too large to attach there. If, like you said, the H1 is too bulky I'm curious to see how much bulkier the M4 would be.

Damn Maxpedition and their versatile and modular bags! I need to find a place that stocks these to visit. I'd have a field day attaching and reattaching things. Does anyone know of any place in Upstate NY that has these? Or in Las Vegas since I will be there for a few days next week.

Deanster

Enlightened
OK - attached to my Fatboy, I find it fairly easy to acccess the H1's sheath with my right hand - it's a bit of a reach with my left (maybe easier for skinny folk).

The top is a bit difficult to access - it rides high, and at least for me, the long flap top and rain tent of the H1 makes for a somewhat awkward reach into the main compartment. I can't find a good way to hold open the flap, and get inside - two more hands would be required on my right side. Lacking extra hands, I ended up digging around in the H1 blindly. I wouldn't choose to use it this way, but it might be OK for someone less fussy than me.

The Fatboy's large zippered compartment is essentially impossible to access with the H1 in place - the zipper is trapped under the H1, and once you get it open, it's hard to get into the pocket. Big loss, as that's where I carry my wallet.

I think those size specs may be a bit misleading. While you can extend an M1 to be deeper than it is wide, I've never seen anyone use it regularly that way - it gets silly pretty quickly. The M2 is more likely to be used full, with a flashlight in the front flap compartment, but it doesn't get nearly as thick as an M1. Neither is all that thick, or noticably thicker than the H1 under normal use. If you've got the M1 stuffed dead full, it's a little different story.

The H-1 is a little funny - it's dimensions aren't really all that much bigger, but it sure FEELS a lot bigger. It's basic dimensions also aren't very thick, but the front pocket can flap out, and make it much thicker than normal. A fully stuffed H-1, especially if you've got a larger digital cameral inside, is actually quite heavy. I use mine with my Falcon backpack when I want to carry a fair bit of stuff in an easy-to reach place that's not going to get cluttered up. H1's great, but not so compact.

It's not so much that the H1 is huge, but that it really overwhelms the Fatboy's attachment point - it's MUCH larger than the strap it's attached to, and while an M1 or M2 seems to be a nice match there (I actually have a Single Sheath there, which is a perfect fit), the H1 is just overly tall, wide, and hard-edged for this spot, at least for me.

I'd say M4 is out of the question - darn near as big as the FatBoy itself - it's sized for a quart canteen.

Long post short - If it works for you, you can certainly do it. However, the strength of the Fatboy is that it's a compact, easy access way to carry stuff. Adding the H-1 adds space at the cost of making it not so compact or easy access, IMHO.

robinwa

Newly Enlightened
For what it's worth, I ordered one a month ago and really like it. Don't know about the 81/2 by 11 notebook. It looks like it would be rather easy to attach more pockets if needed. Plenty of easy to get to outside pockets.

chpmmttn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks alot for answering all my questions Deanster. You've been alot of help.