Questions & FAQ - Oveready / TorchLAB

peter yetman

Sorry, me again.
I'm so impreesed that the spring on my V4 Triple Drop In is fitted into a brass rebate rather than just soldered on. Is it possible to get hold of spare springs?
When I place my light down on a hard surface it skips modes, so ideally it would be nice to get a longer spring, I am stretching the present one gradually, but a slightly longer one would be ideal.

Also, are there any plans to make more V5 E series heads in Black, in the near future?

Thanks, I'll crawl back under my stone now.
P

Edit: ZeroRez, before you ask.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

I'm so impreesed that the spring on my V4 Triple Drop In is fitted into a brass rebate rather than just soldered on. Is it possible to get hold of spare springs?

Glad you like it! I've got a few extras, ask for one on your next order.

But I do recommend a 5mm spacer for your application:
https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/delrin-battery-spacers-16mm/

are there any plans to make more V5 E series heads in Black, in the near future?

They are in process and should arrive this winter but probably not before year end.

peter yetman

Me again, again.
I've just found my missing light with my V4 Nichia Drop In. I managed to get another in the Summer, so last night I compared the two. One is definitely slightly warmer than the other, did you make these up with different CTs in different batches? Or is is just the Tint Lottery? I'm thinking the difference is 4500k to 4900k?
Thanks, I'll try and keep quiet after this.
P

Jose Marin

Was wanting to pick up a 35mm moddoolar body and this p60 interface:
p-1492-Moddoolar-P60.jpg

Im either looking right past the p60 adapter or is it unavailbe? Thanks

Rasher

Question re: Zirconium Boss

That light looks, well, boss. I'm curious though about the thermals - if I'm not mistaken, zirconium based materials with the exception of a couple of alloys, have rather low thermal conductivity. Does the material choice affect the thermals/step-down behavior when compared to more mainstream materials?

Thanks!

archimedes

Moderator,
Staff member
CPF Supporter
Re: Questions & FAQ - Oveready / TorchLAB

I'm less familiar with these "exotic" materials, but it seems that Zr thermal characteristics may be generally very similar (and perhaps a trace better) compared to Ti ... and, of course, far worse than Al

ElectronGuru

Re: Questions & FAQ - Oveready / TorchLAB

Was wanting to pick up a 35mm moddoolar body and this p60 interface:
p-1492-Moddoolar-P60.jpg

Im either looking right past the p60 adapter or is it unavailbe? Thanks
Sorry, they are sold out and won't be available until another round of Moddoolar production, which has been postponed at least once. For the time being, our complete hosts are a better way to go:

https://www.oveready.com/flashlights/legos/hosts/

Question re: Zirconium Boss

That light looks, well, boss. I'm curious though about the thermals - if I'm not mistaken, zirconium based materials with the exception of a couple of alloys, have rather low thermal conductivity. Does the material choice affect the thermals/step-down behavior when compared to more mainstream materials?

Thanks!

As archimedes says, zirconium is similar to titanium. Which is why we've employed our copper head architecture. The head is essentially copper, with a zirconium shell. In practice, the head has better thermal performance than aluminum but worse thermal performance in the body. The average is about the same, and will handle continuous operation.

The v5 board also monitors temperatures in real time and can be set to a variety of maximum temperatures.

djans1397

Re: Oveready / TorchLAB - Questions

Late to the game. I’m sure already asked. Just not sure where to look nor do I have the patience to look at soooo many pages. Lol

Best or preferred cells for the BOSS? 18350 AND 18650 cells? Button or flat tops? Unprotected I assume. IMR correct?

I have a new-used one enroute and want to purchase cells ASAP. I also see you no longer sell the AW cells.

Thanks much in advance! I’m super stoked to finally have the opportunity to own one of your lights! 🤠

Regards,
Daniel

Random Dan

For 18350 I have had good success with Aspire 1100mAh INR cells. I think Aspire no longer sells them, but the Vapcell 18350 is the same cell under a different wrapper and can be found at liion wholesale. Efest IMR cells are also good but lower capacity.

For 18650 any of the common high drain cells should be fine. I use Samsung 30Q, Sony VTC6, and LG HG2. You would probably be fine with a higher capacity and slightly lwer drain cell like a Samsung GA or LG MJ1. Since the BOSS is long enough for 2x18350 it will fit flat or button top. Protected cells might not fit but I wouldn't recommend them anyway as BOSS has over discharge protection built in.

ElectronGuru

Any chance we’ll eventually see the new FJ33 light engine in BOSS or maybe a future run of WASP?
The FJ33 is to large to fit into BOSS, so anything it may be installed in will need to be a new, second (and larger) platform.

Best or preferred cells for the BOSS? 18350 AND 18650 cells? Button or flat tops? Unprotected I assume. IMR correct?

Unprotected IMR work great, just leave battery protection (green boxes) turned on

BOSS have springs at both end so if it fits, it will at least turn one

IMRs and other high drains are your best option:

https://www.rtdvapor.com/keeppower-imr-18350-1200mah-10a/

https://www.rtdvapor.com/sony-18650-vtc6-3000mah/

euroken

Can I use the delrin z41 style with zerorez shorty on a malkoff md body?

Yes, Delring z41 will work, but you'll likely need a spacer as the battery compartment length changes with zerorez shorty.

bignc

Yeah, wanna run 18650 in my md 1.5. :). Thanks. Just curious because it mentions its for the g series and suggests the aluminum for md/p

ElectronGuru

G bodies are wider OD so the cap will look to large on metal bodies, but the threading etc are compatible. Two more notes:

G caps are EOL so they will not be replaced when sold out

More black tactical knurl caps are in production, with matching OD

bignc

More black tactical knurl caps are in production, with matching OD...

Ooooo. You answered the question I did not even know that I had asked. I like it. Thank you

lion504

Is it possible to replace the forward mcclicky in the BOSS with a reverse clicky? If so, any recommendations on which parts to use?