Questions on custom flashlight specs

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oveready seem mostly focused on Triples (which are another ball game) with their BOSS series of lights. They do have some useful P60 drop ins too.
Oveready are constanly evolving and really lead the pack in innovation.

P

For such innovation I d have thought their lights would evolve into more functions and versatility rather than killer high battery drain output. While the programmability is enticing and attractive the the programming and number of options in such a light are limited plus the exclusiveness and the fact that the company doesn't normally respond to product detail questions before you buy something.

QMT93

Enlightened
@peter yetman: Thank you for the input on the Oveready and the kind words! I understand how frustrating it is to not get a feedback after spending all that effort to help, so I try my best to follow-up in a timely manner. The Golden Rule fits here! And it's also a matter of gratitude. I read the TorchLab BOSS review on flashlightguide.com. Is that applicable to all lights in the BOSS series? Also, how well does the satin material manage heat?

@usdiver: Thank you for the input! That's really a lot of useful information. The SureFire Dominator is truly a piece of work with all that throw power. I checked out Firstlight-USA before, but only found 90 degree lights, instead of conventional ones. Good to know more about HDS, because their form factor is among those I really like.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the lights you mentioned, look on the secondary market, though they all do hold their value well so don't expect huge reductions in price even second hand, but it is a good way to try, then sell yourself if it isn't what you thought it would be. No amount of opinions will ever be worth the one opinion that really matters, and that is your own. Buying second hand then selling is a far more economical way to try these different lights out for yourself. All are of extremely high quality (and while most know Henry and I work together, I thought I should mention it just in case). I happen to be a fan of all the lights you mentioned, but for different uses.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is that.
P

I tried several times to get a BOSS just to see if I liked it and the more I read the more I preferred HDS.

@QMT93

Surefire have long been favorites but are now getting into the gimmick side with maxibeam and intellabeam. I want a light where I do the thinking as to what I need when I need it.

First Light are great fir special applications such as LE with the Warning beacon, Medical personnel with the green/red mix leds as well as outdoors sportsmen, hikers, etc needing hands free, military with the NV etc. they can be clipped on, mounted via their TRS to vehicles, belt, Molle or vests, carried vertically or horizontally. There is also the lesser powered Torq which uses AA and the higher powered T Max 700 lumens.

The HDS can be built into a Clicky or rotary or rotary tactical which for me (when working in logistics) has been the most favored ui as it can be operated instinctively more or less without having to "think" what function is it on.

HDS also (the only company I know of) listens to customers requests, ideas, and on occasion has built special runs of "something" "somebody" wants fir example UV 325nm
For the most part the specs and numbers are available but as I mentioned previously often required is true field testing.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont have the numbers you asked for
are you trying to shine a long distance outdoors?

If your goal is to find the custom light with the most throw, for the least money
skylumen.com has the RRT-01 with the WhiteOne LED.. its a beast! of a thrower,
without getting into lights that can literally burn a hole in your pants.

he also makes a triple
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV691D4W2Zo&t=20s

And he can install tritiums in the tailslots!

iirc, malkoff uses reflectors and switches from McGizmo, with single LED.
They produce a tight throwy hotstpot, similar to HDS.

oveready uses triple optics, they produce a larger hotspot..

triples are more floody than singles.

look through these threads to get some more info

electronic ramping triple, you could be getting into the latest, most cutting edge LED light tech, for peanuts ;-)
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?458503

examples of different LED color temperatures and CRI (Im a fanatic about using Nichia 219b LEDs)
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?457794

in this thread there is a photo of what I consider a great LED and beam, my favorite LED sw45k
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?458438

some people just want light, they dont care about what color it is, they dont care what CRI it has, they dont care if it has green tint, they just want bright, now!...
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?452461

some people want a light with 12 levels below 2 lumens
some want to shoot coyotes
some wear slacks and work in an office
some wear a light in a hip holster
some use pocket clips

what do YOU want to use a light for?

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
iirc, malkoff uses reflectors and switches from McGizmo, with single LED.
They produce a tight throwy hotstpot, similar to HDS.

Correct, but it depends on the model. For example, the "T" series modules and the Hound Dog Super use a TIR optic for increased throw.

scout24

Flashaholic
OP- What it really comes down to is your intended use for each light. Keep in mind that on a 500 lumen light, all else being equal, 50 to 75 lumens one way or the other will hardly be noticeable. On a light with 20,000 lux throw, 2 or 3000 lux will hardly be noticeable. Figure 10-15% one way or the other won't matter in the real world. Research here, a lot of lights have reviews or beamshots in threads, the search feature here is fantastic. Stick with reputable manufacturers, don't get completely caught up in numbers. As has been said, some are real world, some are calculated, and some are WAG's. And, nothing is free. The following are general guidelines. That extra 500 lumens means battery life is shorter. The higher turbo modes mean faster step down due to heat. And all those sweet lux numbers mean a pinpoint beam with very little spill. (YMMV.) Different tools for different jobs. 😁 Enjoy the ride.

QMT93

Enlightened
@Hogokansatsukan: I looked at CPF marketplace, and it appears HDS, Malkoff, Oveready sell really fast. I believe I saw one HDS Executive EDC Custom with 140lm max output, an Oveready P60 Moddoolar, and a Malkoff HD Super, the rest are all sold. I understand it's beneficial to buy secondhand lights and use it, then sell it if I don't like it, although it's more of the last resort. That's why I've been asking and reading before making a purchase. Thanks to this community, and BLF, I learned a lot more. Thank you for your input!

@usdiver: yes, it appears FirstLight is more suitable for those users. And I do like the form, as well as UI, of the majority of brands I listed. Now that I have more to read and understand, choosing a light should become easier. Thank you for your input!

@jon_slider: I'm finalizing my usage and the number of lights I'd like to have. Skylumens is among makers I'm considering purchasing from. The Jetbeam RRT01 looks like a fine thrower. Those HDS in your links look awesome. Thank you for your input!

@scout24: yes, your comment matches everything I've been reading on CPF. The search bar works well, despite the enormous amount of input on all of these manufacturers. I'm finalizing my usage (needs and wants), and the number of lights I'd like to have, then I'll post a thread with more details. Thank you for your input! (Oh, "WAG" is not "wives and girlfriends" right? What is it?)