Quick impressions of new Peak 3 LED vs old Peak 3

Grubbster

Enlightened
Here are some quick first impressions of the new Peak 3 LED Matterhorn vs. the old style Peak Matterhorn. To start with, the old style I have is the standard power and the new one I got is the ultra power. Here is a look at the business end of both lights.
compare(Small).JPG

As you can see the new model has more of a reflector style front end and gives a much more useful spill in the beam. My only concern with the light I got is the material it is made of. I am not sure if over time the brass around the LEDs will tarnish to the point that it will affect the quality of the beam. That being said, I think the new style is a great improvement over the old style. I have not had a chance to really test it, but on first impressions, the spill is greatly improved while the spot is still very bright as well. Here is the beam shot. Old style on the left, new style on the right. Notice the yellow color the brass gives to the beam spill.
beam(Small).JPG

I hope to play with this over the weekend to get a little better feel for it. Thanks

Zigzago

Enlightened
Re: Quick impressions of new Peak 3 LED vs old Pea

Thanks for the pics. Does the new one have White or Snow LEDs?

Grubbster

Enlightened
Re: Quick impressions of new Peak 3 LED vs old Pea

Both have snow LEDs. After seeing how the new ones are, I ordered another Matterhorn in high power stainless with a black lug style body. I am hoping that the silver color of the stainless will act more as a reflector for the beam. I am concerned that as the brass tarnishes, the beam spill will deminish. I also checked on the black heads and they told me they are anodized inside where the bulbs are. I would think that would cut down on reflectance also. Hopefully, the stainless will be the ticket. I will post more pics when I get it.