Quitting smoking... I think I have found the answer...

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
smoked for 25 years, quit last year right after new year, have not had a sig. since, quit cold turkey, no pill, gums, or patches.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Yeah, I smoked for 20 years or so, then found inspiration to quit when my dad passed from emphysema. Then I realized that I was not setting a good example for my 10 year old kids. Been smoke free for the last 20 years.

I discovered several key things about smoking that helped me.

1) The addiction includes a closed cycle where withdrawal (after a few hours) causes anxiety which causes you to smoke which cures the withdrawal for an hour, then starts again. The danger is that you come to think that smoking is THE cure for any anxiety, even months or years after you have quit.

2) After a while, the taste of smoke becomes "normal". You begin to associate the lack of that taste with withdrawal. That's why you eat or drink and then have to have an 'after dinner' smoke.

3) You can not really have just one cigarette after you quit. It restarts that cycle of hourly withdrawal again.

4) A lot of the time one smokes at programmed intervals. When driving to work, for instance, one will usually light up at the same intersection or as soon as the engine starts. "One last one before..." is also very common. One before bed, one before dinner, etc.

The #1 thing that helped me stay smoke free was the realization that smoking did NOT help with stress. Well, not unless the stress was from tobacco withdrawal. :)

Daniel

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
I smoked less than a pack a day but for nearly 25 years. Tried quitting a few times, the longest for a month but it never lasted.
A few years ago, I even started a thread in the Cafe asking how to quit, but was glad to see it sink out of sight when I just couldn't quit.

Then, about 2 months ago, I noticed a very bad aftertaste from some cigarrettes picked up duty free in Haiti. Counterfiet? I dunno. I smoked all of them anyway and returned to buying locally for $12.50 a pack but also noticed this thread, and out of curiousity ordered an e-cig starter kit.
Received the kit and experimented for a day, but suddenly needed to travel for some work I knew that was going to be very stressful. I wasn't used to using/charging/maitaining the e-cig yet, so left it at home and went back to cigarettes for the 2 weeks.

A few days into the trip I started suffering from an uncontrolable cough and was hacking up lots of junk too. This had never happened before.
On one occasion, I had to hang up the phone because I couldn't continue the conversation.
I woke up in the middle of the night several times coughing too, and when it finally calmed down, I could envision myself years from now lying in bed wheezing and coughing just to breathe. The experience spooked me and made me realize how you take your health and basic things like breathing for granted. The bad aftertaste I experienced may have been a preliminary warning. This time my body was getting angry. Still couldn't stop smoking then and there, but upon returning home, I decided it was time to quit and started to use the e-cig to cut down on the cigarettes.

For a week or so I smoked a cigarette or 2 a day along with the e-cig, and have been completely smoke free for nearly a month now.
Breathing better and can feel my lung capacity improving (recovering?). I want to start jogging again. Went for a full health checkup too.

Like the OP mentioned, I will stress that e-cigs may be better than smoking, but it is just another bad habbit. They are relatively new so there is no knowing what the long term effects of using them are either. If you are not a smoker now, don't even think about trying the e-cigs.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
One of the things I rarely see pointed out is that nicotine is a "stimulus barrier" - that is, for someone who works in a hectic, noisy, distracting environment nicotine actually makes it easier for that person to screen out the distractions and focus on the work. That's why for many people when quitting nicotine, they suddenly find the world a much more abrasive, stressful place.

It's not a replacement stimulus barrier, but for anyone quitting smoking I'd suggest looking into using theanine to help with the jitters, etc. It's the calmative amino acid that occurs naturally in green tea, and it's about as harmless and non-addictive as anything can be - and yet, it works surprisingly well at helping reduce stress. I had a friend who was prescribed Xanax for stress - but that just meant he started worrying about becoming dependent on the Xanax. I told him about theanine, he gave it a try - and said it was almost as effective for him as the Xanax, but without the worry about getting "hooked" on it.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a great "Stop Smoking" method for those interested thats very easy!

I have smoked cigarettes since the 80's when I was in my mid teens! We moved up to Pa when I was 12, and just about every kid around us who were my age or older had already experimented with smoking cigs, and etc.... I knew nobody, and needed to make friends, so when in Rome....

I have only made 3 attempts at quitting, with this being the 3rd. I tried to quit at age 18 for a month, then went to a party, got buzzed on beer(like every weekend then), and started smoking again. Then I didnt try againt til 2001, when I got a prescription for Nicotrol inhalers which look like a white plastic whistle that hold a cartridge that contains nicotine on a spongy material inside, and when you take a drag on it, microscopic nicotine particles are transported into your throat, where its absorbed through your throat and mouth. That lasted a year, then I started smoking again because I still hung around smokers, and still drank on weekends occasionally, so I got hooked again immediately.

But this time I didnt even plan on quitting. What happened was, about a months ago my Mother heard an advert about a hypnotist who was coming to the city to do a conference where he would hypnotize the audience or some such bizz, and then you'd miraculously quit. Problem was that my Mother's next door neighbor told her that he quit after seeing a hypnotist like this guy, so my Mom wanted me to go. I promised to look into it, and then promptly forgot all about it! This disappointed my Mom, so I had remembered being linked to e-cigarette websites through cpf members who had listed these e-cig dealers as sources of Li Ion batteries.

So I started looking into it mainly as a way to be able to get my nic-fix without constantly having to walk outside to smoke! So after a few hours of research, I bought was is technically called an Ego-T e-cigarette. If I had done a few hours more research, I would have discovered that there is a newer version of this basic model called the Ego-C. Its a little cheaper to maintain, but other wise the same. This is a medium sized e-cig. There are also larger variable voltage models with different names, but I started with the mid sized Ego-T. These are sold under different names, and mine was bought from Totally Wicked and called the "Tornado-Tank kit"(Ego-T). It was on sale at Totally Wicked in August for $54, but not now I dont think. Its about 1/2" diameter, and 5" long.

I had never seen any of these medium to large e-cigs, and all I had seen before were the smaller disposable e-cigs sold at convenience stores for $10 or whatever, and they look like cigarettes. They are about the same size as a cigarette too(small). Problem is, they have very limited power, and limited battery capacity. The disposable ones will only last roughly 2 days for the average person, and not work all that well. The non-disposable medium to large models are much better though. My Tornado T came with 2 batteries and 2 atomizers. Each battery will hold a charge long enough to last a full day of use, maybe more, then you re-charge it while using the 2nd battery. If you look around, you should be able to find an Ego-T or better yet and Ego-C complete kits for no more than about $50-$55(maybe less), which should include 2 batteries(650mah), 2 atomizer cones( an Ego-C should also contain 5 extra removable atomizers), a wall plug, a USB battery charger, a box to store it, some extra 1.1ml tanks, usually filled with e-liquid.

The "T" in Ego-T stands for tank. There is a 1.1 ml tank at the top of it, which forms the mouthpiece, and holds the "e-liquid", which is vaporized by the atomizer into a vapor that looks just like smoke, and contains nicotine(or not), and you can choose what level of nicotine you want or need to quit. Typically people start out high, then gradually lower their nicotine level, and then some people quit using the e-cig altogether, and some continue to use it without nicotine mixed into the e-liquid. Thats because there are literally thousands of different flavored e-liquid as well as do-it-yourself flavor concentrates and diluents that you can mix yourself for your own custom flavors. Its cheaper to DIY too.

So anyway, once I got mine in the mail, with some e-liquid samples, etc., I immediately started using it, and I ended up smoking 2 more cigarettes that night, then one more the next day, then I quit cold turkey without even planning to do so! So its now been 2 weeks since I received the kit, and its been great! I've ordered more flavor samples, and tried improving them by adding different non-nicotine flavors, etc.

But most importantly, its been unbelievably easy to quit. The e-cig has literally done about 95% of the work. I have only had minor craving for regular cigs, and it only last seconds when it does happen, and I just take a couple drags, or vapes off the e-cig and the craving disappears. These light cravings only happened about maybe 1-2 times per day for the first week, but again, they are easy to deal with and dont last long, and now I have not had a craving for a regular cig for days!

Now I have listened to a couple nay-sayers about these e-cigs and these people make negative comments without any knowledge about them, but they will say "You are just trading one fetish for another by doing this, and you are still getting nicotine into your system". To that I always say "Are you suggesting that I'd be better off smoking and taking in nicotine, AND tar, AND carbon monoxide, AND the other 4,000 chemicals that are released by tobacco smoke"? Of course they always say no.... :shakehead

Small, controlled amounts of nicotine 'might' be slightly detrimental to your health in some ways, but its probably not much worse than drinking alcoholic beverages occasionally. Plus, it is CERTAINLY not nearly as bad for you as smoking, and thats the point! If it can help you quit this dangerous habit that will probably eventually kill you, then its a good thing!:thumbsup:

I have watched a few news segments where they ask doctors whether "vaping" is a good idea, and so far every one that I have watched has said that it is a good thing if it helps you quit smoking!

**Note: There are quite a few other kits and systems that you can choose from, and just like flashlights, some people prefer other systems, while others like the Ego T or C to start with because it is almost infinitely upgradeable. Go to: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

Last edited:
Re: Here's a great "Stop Smoking" method for those interested thats very easy!

HighlanderNorth,

Congratulations on quitting! Hopefully more CPF's will be able to as well. Thanks for the information.

~ chance

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

i wanted to try those e cigs, but ended up quiting before i had a chance to buy them, i have not smoked for almost 3 years now. and unlike many ppl that quit, i have no problem with ppl smoking next to me. i don't belive that smelling cigs, outside and even indoors is any worst than smelling paint or campfire. if you get stock with 6 pl in an elevator for hours, and they all smoke, than it is a different story.
but anyway congrads to ts, on quitting. first year is the hardest. fight urges anyway you can. it'll get better after a year or so.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got me one of the 18650 mods, with future intention of making a 510-to-p60 adapter lol. That project never took off, but it did help. I'm the type who likes to organize my gadgets and gizmos, and having all the different flavors and cartos, and keeping up with them, it is actually part of the calmingness of this hobby. Also, you can get juices with steadily decreasing amounts of nico, and even just flavored juices too. It feels more like hookah than smoke, too. Well, just thought I'd add my experience. IMO, anything that helps you quit smoking is good for you, as I imagine that the smoke is more dangerous than the nicotine.

brianna

Enlightened
It seems ecigs are being banned at all the same places as regular cigarettes for no good reason other than they "look" like real cigarettes and second hand water vapor "might" be hazardous.

They are being banned because the vapor contains class A carcinogens just like real cigarettes. There is no safe level of second hand exposure to class A carcinogen.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
  • Diethylene glycol was detected in one cartridge at approximately 1%. Diethylene glycol, an ingredient used in antifreeze, is toxic to humans.
  • Certain tobacco-specific nitrosamines which are human carcinogens were detected in half of the samples tested.
  • Tobacco-specific impurities suspected of being harmful to humans—anabasine, myosmine, and β-nicotyrine—were detected in a majority of the samples tested.
  • The electronic cigarette cartridges that were labeled as containing no nicotine had low levels of nicotine present in all cartridges tested, except one.
  • Three different electronic cigarette cartridges with the same label were tested and each cartridge emitted a markedly different amount of nicotine with each puff. The nicotine levels per puff ranged from 26.8 to 43.2 mcg nicotine/100 mL puff.
  • One high-nicotine cartridge delivered twice as much nicotine to users when the vapor from that electronic cigarette brand was inhaled than was delivered by a sample of the nicotine inhalation product (used as a control) approved by FDA for use as a smoking cessation aid.

http://www.yourlawyer.com/topics/overview/Electronic-Cigarettes

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
  • Diethylene glycol was detected in one cartridge at approximately 1%. Diethylene glycol, an ingredient used in antifreeze, is toxic to humans.
  • Certain tobacco-specific nitrosamines which are human carcinogens were detected in half of the samples tested.
  • Tobacco-specific impurities suspected of being harmful to humans—anabasine, myosmine, and β-nicotyrine—were detected in a majority of the samples tested.
  • The electronic cigarette cartridges that were labeled as containing no nicotine had low levels of nicotine present in all cartridges tested, except one.
  • Three different electronic cigarette cartridges with the same label were tested and each cartridge emitted a markedly different amount of nicotine with each puff. The nicotine levels per puff ranged from 26.8 to 43.2 mcg nicotine/100 mL puff.
  • One high-nicotine cartridge delivered twice as much nicotine to users when the vapor from that electronic cigarette brand was inhaled than was delivered by a sample of the nicotine inhalation product (used as a control) approved by FDA for use as a smoking cessation aid.

http://www.yourlawyer.com/topics/overview/Electronic-Cigarettes

The last 3 of 6 complaints are mostly non-issues becuase most people I have talked to and most people over at ecf forums dont buy pre-filled cartridges. Besides, the pre-filled cartridges that have inconsistent amounts of nicotine probably came from inconsistent Chinese sources. There are plenty of US and UK sources who actually measure this stuff in labs. Besides, like I siad, most people dont use those cartridges anyway. I either buy American made, American mixed e-liquids which are mixed using a known quantity of nicotine, or I mix my own liquids using a known quantity of nicotine. Thats wipes out all of the last 3 issues.

If a known carcinogen was found in "1" cartridge, that again, was probably a Chinese product. I dont buy from China, and again. most people dont use cartridges.

Next: Tobacco specific impurities. The only way that could exist is in extracted e-liquiids made from tobacco leaf. But most e-liquids arent extracted from tobacco. Most tobacco flavored e-liquids arent even tobacco based in reality. Some are though, but they are extracted in lab situations. Is it possible that a minor amount of a carcinogen or 2 are in some of these products? Probably. Most? No.

Lastly, another mention of tobacco specific impurities. I have no idea how my PeachBerry fruit flavored e-liquid or my cappuccino, Smarty Pants, White Peach, Tiramisu, coffee, or honeysuckle would have ANY tobacco specific impurities considering that none of them are made or extracted from tobacco. Again, most arent.

The nicotine that is used in most e-liquids can be easily purchased from UK or USA, where it contains only nicotine and diluents like food grade vegetable glycerin.

So is your argument that we should maybe ban e-cigs because of the slight possibility that a minor number of Chinese made cartridges that most people dont use "might" contain a tiny number of chemicals that are known carcinogens, which would force people to go back to cigarettes, which contain FAR, FAR, FAR more carcinogens than some e-cigs may contain, and are FAR worse from a second hand standpoint?

There is no evidence that there is ANY second hand risk due to vaping, unless you are kissing the person and you take a drag, then blow it into that other person's mouth... Otherwise I dont how a water vapor that disperses almost immediately(unlike cig smoke) can somehow transfer nicotine to others(?)

Besides, if we are truly worried about carcinogens and poisons, then we should be much more worried about all the chemicals under our sinks, in our closets, in our bathrooms, etc. Just about everything you use to clean around your house can kill you! Should we ban it all?

Nicotine is also present in many other stop-smoking cessation products that people other than the primary user can get hold of and use improperly. Nicotine is available and sold in insecticides too in much higher concentrations!

The point of e-cigs is, if it helps people quit a habit that is not only MUCH, MUCH worse for their health, and the health of those around them, and terrible for our health insurance system due to the health related costs that are passed on to everyone, then maybe, just maybe its better to allow something that 'might be' a tiny fraction(and I mean tiny!) as unhealthy as tobacco products to help people quit those much more unhealthy products which will make life better for us all!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yet another here who quit smoking using e-cgs (3~4 years now). My opinion...easiest best way to quit.

brianna

Enlightened
Troll post removed, not for the content but for the the disrespectful way your post was presented - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:
^ :tsk: [h=3]4. Flaming/Baiting/Trolling/Banning[/h]None of these will be tolerated. In most instances, you will be asked by a moderator to edit your post. However, warnings may not always be given. It is up to the discretion of the moderator based on the content in question. If you decide to ignore the moderator, you will be banned until such time as the problem is corrected. Attempts to circumvent being banned by reregistering under another name will be considered a blatant disregard for the rules of these forums and subsequent usernames will also be banned. In addition, the attempts to circumvent the rules will not go favorably for you when/if you should ask to be unbanned.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually your post makes you more stupid that any cigaret will.
i can name thousands ppl that smoke\smoked, and they are light years ahead of you in brain dept. Albert Einstein was one of them.
take a chill pill.

Last edited by a moderator:

brianna

Enlightened
When Albert Einstein smoked the dangers of smoking were not know. They did not know radioactive substances were being inhaled. Or that they were altering DNA by the class A carcinogens in tobacco.

We do know this now. Even Obama thinks he was stupid for ever starting. I make a valid point that people that smoke are very stupid today. You calling me stupid because I point the dangers out to you is just mean.

H-Man

Enlightened
I need to thank you people who are trying to give up smoking. Working on smoker's computers sucks, the tar builds up in the keyboard, heat sink, and every porous surface.

Evosil98

Newly Enlightened
I smoked for 10 years and quit using e-cigs. I've been smoke free for 9 months and vape free for 3 months.

brianna

Enlightened
One thing I want to make very clear is the fact the E Cig is not safe. It is just as dangerous as tobacco 2nd hand smoke. When nicotine from the E cig along with other chemicals emitted from vapor, mix with trace elements in the air it pollutes the air with even more class A carcinogens then tobacco. The vapor does not contain the carcinogen. The change occurs when the vapor is mixed with trace elements in the air. Also a coating containing class A carcinogens sticks to the floor, walls, ceiling, air ducts. Tobacco does this as well, but American E cig residual contamination is even worse.

Yes the world is full of bad stuff, car exhaust, factory emissions, but none of it is classified as a class A Carcinogen for which only 7 substances in the world get this designation. The class A even alters DNA just like a non stop X ray.

Vapor everywhere they say. Give a entire building lung cancer and they wont even know you did it.