Quitting smoking... I think I have found the answer...

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
When Albert Einstein smoked the dangers of smoking were not know. .
lmao, it is pretty much common sence, no study needed for someone with even half a brain, that product of any burning isn't healthy to inhale, and actually it was very well known, hitler and nazis had studies done, and had huge antismoking campain. very similar to what bloombeg doing now. educate yourself.

brianna

Enlightened
I can only quote facts and truths. For you to tell me to educate myself on your ( Imao) that is not going to happen. I am finished contributing to this thread nothing more needs to be said.

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was it Samuel Clemens who quipped, "Anyone can quit smoking...I've done it a thousand times...?"

I quit many, many years ago. I think this is an interesting subject. IMO successfully quitting smoking is a nearly always a learned behavior whether we realize it or not. Most that I knew who have successfully quit often failed in their early attempts.

Those who cannot quit are those who quit quitting before they have learned enough about themselves and cigarettes to mount a successful endeavor. Those who initially fail to quit and consider themselves failures because of it are doomed to learn nothing about the complexities of the process.

A few months ago I told a friend who was trying to quit that the single most important thing when you slide back into smoking is to not feel like a failure. Accept that quitting is difficult and decide ahead of time that if you slip up you'll learn from it and take what caused you to slip and fold it into a new plan to quit. Anyone who may keep trying to quit over the long haul will have a better chance of success than those who feel like failures. A month later he thanked me for the advice.

I personally knew Lynn Smith back in the 1970s when he began "D-Day" which evolved into what is now called "Great American Smoke Out." The genius of Smiths plan was that it allowed one to keep trying to quit without feeling like a failure.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I want to make very clear is the fact the E Cig is not safe. It is just as dangerous as tobacco 2nd hand smoke. When nicotine from the E cig along with other chemicals emitted from vapor, mix with trace elements in the air it pollutes the air with even more class A carcinogens then tobacco. The vapor does not contain the carcinogen. The change occurs when the vapor is mixed with trace elements in the air. Also a coating containing class A carcinogens sticks to the floor, walls, ceiling, air ducts. Tobacco does this as well, but American E cig residual contamination is even worse.

Yes the world is full of bad stuff, car exhaust, factory emissions, but none of it is classified as a class A Carcinogen for which only 7 substances in the world get this designation. The class A even alters DNA just like a non stop X ray.

Vapor everywhere they say. Give a entire building lung cancer and they wont even know you did it.

You mentioned that you arent coming back here, so I doubt you'll see this, but I have to disagree with your assertion that e-cig vapor is somehow even more harmful to the user or to the alleged 2nd hand user. Secondly, I know people who have been vaping now for over a year, and they dont see any residual buildup around their primary vaping areas, nor do I, and when I'm at home late in the evening, I am usually in my office or bedroom watching TV or on the computer at my desk, and I have looked for residue and found no sign of it after 5.5 weeks of use.

Next, you mentioned that there are only 7 class A carcinogens, and one of them is found in e-cig vapor, but you didnt mention the particular chemical in question, nor did you mention your source for this claim.

I have watched top, nationally known doctors talk about this subject after looking through the available facts, and I've never heard anything about such a problem. I find it a bit hard to believe that vegetable glycerin or Propylene Glycol somehow form one of the worlds worst poisons when they come in contact with air, both of which are used in our food industry and are completely safe or they wouldnt be labeled by the FDA as such. Also, If its nicotine that somehow forms a terrible poison when it combines with air, then it would the same in the form of 2nd hand smoke, because its still nicotine. I've never heard of any of that...

Please leave a link or proof when making such a bold, scary claim....

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was it Samuel Clemens who quipped, "Anyone can quit smoking...I've done it a thousand times...?"

I quit many, many years ago. I think this is an interesting subject. IMO successfully quitting smoking is a nearly always a learned behavior whether we realize it or not. Most that I knew who have successfully quit often failed in their early attempts.

Those who cannot quit are those who quit quitting before they have learned enough about themselves and cigarettes to mount a successful endeavor. Those who initially fail to quit and consider themselves failures because of it are doomed to learn nothing about the complexities of the process.

A few months ago I told a friend who was trying to quit that the single most important thing when you slide back into smoking is to not feel like a failure. Accept that quitting is difficult and decide ahead of time that if you slip up you'll learn from it and take what caused you to slip and fold it into a new plan to quit. Anyone who may keep trying to quit over the long haul will have a better chance of success than those who feel like failures. A month later he thanked me for the advice.

I personally knew Lynn Smith back in the 1970s when he began "D-Day" which evolved into what is now called "Great American Smoke Out." The genius of Smiths plan was that it allowed one to keep trying to quit without feeling like a failure.

My whole philosophy when it came to quitting, was that if I tried and failed too many times, it would make it that much easier to justify future failures, because thats how addiction works. When you are addicted to something, especially when its both psychically AND psychologically addicting, then your brain will work very hard to try and find excuses to justify "just one more"! So if I were to repeatedly fail when trying to quit, I figured that it would make failing easier to do.... But, that too^ is probably just another subconscious attempt at justifying and perpetuating an addiction!

So I only tried to quit 3 times in over 25 years! This being the 3rd try. In other words, the first time I tried to quit was way back in 1986, just 1.5 years after I began smoking, then I didnt try again til 2001. So only 2 attempts in 27 years. Also, I had pretty much decided that I like smoking and I didnt want to quit.

But this time, I didnt even really plan on quitting, it just kinda happened. Now I'm glad it did.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
best made, best designed, and best priced vaporizer on the market:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002U3T7F4/?tag=cpf0b6-20

$ 115.00 at the moment, the price keeps going up and down.

Put any kind of herb or tabacco product you like in it. It heats the stuff up to anywhere between 0 and 500 degrees f.
..since the stuff doesnt ignite, ie. burn, you are not technically "smoking" products of combustion, saving you from hundreds of toxic substances.
In California it's legal to put weed in there, and the effect is a fantastic, pure high without the fog of toxic smoke; it's VAPOR! and of course there is far less irritation to the throat and lungs.

You'll love it.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
...So I only tried to quit 3 times in over 25 years! This being the 3rd try. In other words, the first time I tried to quit was way back in 1986, just 1.5 years after I began smoking, then I didnt try again til 2001. So only 2 attempts in 27 years. Also, I had pretty much decided that I like smoking and I didnt want to quit.

But this time, I didnt even really plan on quitting, it just kinda happened. Now I'm glad it did.
You're making my point. Had you not tried two more times you would have failed.

I think that there are far more who fail, quit once, and are never able to even try to quit again.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The three methods I've heard for quitting smoking that worked were:
1) Decided to quit, carried an unlit cigarette and was over and done with a 2 pack a day habit. The same person told me that you can do what you decide to do.
2) Started going to school after decades in the workforce and just naturally forgot to smoke during the day because it seemed wrong to smoke at school. Then decided that since dropping from a couple packs a day, to a cigarette in the morning and one or two at night, it shouldn't be that much harder to leave out the other two or three a day.
3) Friends son asked him to quit, so he did. Hard to do for himself, easy to do for the kid.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, well Ive said it before about alcoholism; you will backslide; expect to fail, because you will fail..and the failure is the success because you cant fail unless you try..every person who is a dozen years sober today has failed many, many times.. that person can be you.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
yes, well Ive said it before about alcoholism; you will backslide; expect to fail, because you will fail..and the failure is the success because you cant fail unless you try..every person who is a dozen years sober today has failed many, many times.. that person can be you.
The assumption of failure is wrong and the first person mentioned in my above post is one example of proof. He decided to quit smoking, and did. Most people will fail, and as Ted says, don't lose heart, but rather than assuming failure as a foregone conclusion, assume rather that if you intend to succeed, you will; on first try, or after many, if you don't give up, you will succeed.

Do not expect to fail - expect to succeed.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes life differs, and ppl find different approaches\motivations to accomplish their goals.
imo anyone can achieve anything they really want, but the trick is you have to want it really bad. everyone who failed quit smoking, they just didn't want it bad enough this time. when they do, they will quit, i have no doubts about it.

Travers

Newly Enlightened
Hi Eric,
Great read and like to share some tips to quit smoking here.
Set a quit day, make it special for you and ask your family members and friends to support you. Don't buy cigarettes and avoid going to places where you might found smokers. Keep money you would spend on cigarettes in a saving jar and plan for a treat tomorrow. Start some sport, exercise or any physical activity.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
The assumption of failure is wrong and the first person mentioned in my above post is one example of proof. He decided to quit smoking, and did. Most people will fail, and as Ted says, don't lose heart, but rather than assuming failure as a foregone conclusion, assume rather that if you intend to succeed, you will; on first try, or after many, if you don't give up, you will succeed.

Do not expect to fail - expect to succeed.

Yeah, with everything in life it helps to be positive. You probably shouldnt get yourself down too much if you do fail while trying to quit an addiction, but at the same time, you dont want to mentally prepare for failure so that you expect to fail or so that your subconscious uses the failure expectation to justify taking one more drink or one more smoke. Thats how addiction works and why its difficult to quit any addicting substance, because your mind will play tricks on you and you will find excuses to fail!

scottinarctic1

Newly Enlightened
I thought I would share. I found this forum by a link on a vape site discussion. They recommended a new hobby to help the idle thoughts and need for replacement therapy from the agony of quitting smoking.This site has given me something to do instead of pondering the need to smoke analog cigs.I have been analog free since March 6th and will never go back. BTW, you guys are just as addicted to lights as they are vape mods. The similarties are shocking.

harro

Enlightened
Just a slightly different spin on this subject. My sister and brother-in-law were both very heavy smokers ( probably damage already done ages 47 and 48 ). It wasn't unusual for them to average about $200 AUD a week on smokes. The day came when their son and daughter-in-law announced they were pregnant. Daughter-in-law stated to mum and dad inlaws ( !? ) they would not see grandson whilst they continued to puff. Result, instant stop. Grandson now four months old and dad-in-law back on smokes, but mum-in -law still clean. About seven months clean.
Harsh ??..............who knows.......
Reality check overcoming addiction ??.........................who knows....
I don't pretend to know what the addiction feels like, I've never smoked.
Ohh, my wife gave up smokes when she first met me ( I think it was the abhorrent shock ), 29 years ago, yet, in moments of stress, she says she will crave for one, but the craving disappears almost as soon as it happens!!
Cheers,
Mike.

:)