R50vnP - Best 26650 Flooder R

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
image upload no compression

Had a little bit of fun with my R50vnP this morning. Dark Heat Treated the bezel and added some Talon Grip rubberized sticker to the head.

I have had Talon Grip on the button for about a month now and it helps extremely well in finding it quickly. Hasn't lifted or torn at all either. The tape around the head helps for better holster retrieval and slightly improves anti-rolling of light on flat surfaces.

Last edited:

gunmike1

Newly Enlightened
Any updates on how the R50vnP is treating people? I'm about to click the order button and just want to see how owners are liking them.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any updates on how the R50vnP is treating people? I'm about to click the order button and just want to see how owners are liking them.
It's a very powerful light. Great run time excellent throw and the spill lights up evetything in front of you. I'll take it walking my dog tonight and get some beam shots for you!!

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
Highly Highly Highly recommend! Someone mentioned the lack of a true Moonlight mode but besides that, the hotspot is big and useful, the spill is bright and still useful, the 26650 lasts even with an xhp70, the entire form factor feels good in the hand without excessive bulkiness, the magnetic tailcap (on the Pro) comes in real handy, the UI is similar to DriverVNX2, heat isn't an issue unless you want to keep it on turbo all the time... I can go on and on and i haven't even touched on how bright it is on high.

The negatives are that apparently the clicky part might wear out if abused, on the Pro version, there's no place to stick a lanyard, and that it rolls around like it was greased. None of this bugs me but it's worth mentioning.

All in all, I have found the R50vnP to be an excellent light. If yer on the edge, just get it. It even comes with its own battery which, I should add, is easy to test voltage with a meter because you can access anode and cathode just by removing the tailcap!

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter

I would say the R50vnP is a really really good light.
It pockets well.
It performs well with ~3000 lumen output.
The beam is free of obnoxious colors and patterns.
The output us smooth and floody.
Its single button is simple to use.
Built in recharging is fast and super convenient; USB charger means easy car and travel charging.
It looks nice/classy.
It has long runtimes via the 26650's higher capacity.
It's just a great "regular" light.
However,
It doesn't throw much (not expected given small size and LED model), so it isn't as impressive to non flashaholics.
It doesn't have a lanyard attachment hole, so don't drop it!
Its single side button can be tough to find in the dark; the infrared sensor on it is opposite of the button so if you find one or the other you can usually figure it out.
It doesn't have moonlight.
It doesn't have momentary on.
It can only sustain turbo for 90 seconds (Olight stepdown).
It requires custom Olight battery (stock) for built-in recharging OR unprotected IMR to get max lumens; pick your poison.
My stock TM03 puts out 300 lumen more (my testing) and holds turbo for much longer.

The R50vnP is, summing it up as I did above, just a really good all around light. It's one that I use for heading out in the yard after dark, going for a walk, letting a friend/family member use (use not borrow), that kind of thing. It is impressive on turbo, but it holds it for such a short period of time that it is basically just for bursts and not real "use" (how much can you get done in <2 minutes?). But it is a really nice clean design and nice clean output... so nice. Relative to the TM03, I actually use the turbo on the TM03 more because of the rear paddle switch that goes straight to turbo. I can be walking along with it on medium or low, hear/see something, hold the paddle for turbo, see what I want, and release back to where I was. The multiple-clicking for the R50 takes more effort so I don't use it in that way as much. While the TM03 (also XPHP70) has better heatsinking to hold turbo longer (and is temp controlled), the R50 has much better battery capacity with a smaller and more pocket-friendly form factor. I use the R50vnP on the Medium and High modes the most, and the battery life for that is just excellent.

I realize this is getting long-winded. I don't think you'll be disappointed by the R50vnP; it's a great light. Do know the limitations just to keep your expectations in check. But it has a strong fanbase here.

gunmike1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the great replies! Has anyone tested the output on medium and high? I'm curious about the sustained brightness. Also, once it steps down, can you just turn it off and back on to get turbo again? To me I'll be using this for storm assessment for downed power lines some when I need a pocket sized light. I really like the big hot spot and huge spill for a light this size. I have an Eagletac SX30C2 XHP35 HI that has a good bit more throw but way less lumens and flood. But from testing I've seen it maintains well over 1000 lumens if it is decently cool out, but only for maybe 45 minutes. I'm guessing the R50vnP can put out in that range of output or higher for much longer, but it would be nice to know how much it actually puts out on high.

I'm kind of conflicted on the R50vnP versus getting the X7vn now, as my wife will only tolerate 1 new light now. On the one hand I think the R50vnP will outperform my SX30C2 for my pocket sized light needs, but the X7vn could really fill some needs as a mega light for spot lighting out of a truck when I'm on patrol for downed lines, out camping, or other needs like that. I might actually be able to carry it if I can find a way to mount the holster outside of my overalls type rain gear bottoms that I use on patrol. I would just worry I won't want to carry it due to bulk and weight, thus it would be more of a novelty item to wow people with rather than a light I use a lot. Also, if I'm going to go big, why not wait until the X9vn is out, and go huge. Which leads me back to thinking to get the R50vnP for now, and maybe wait and see what happens with the X9vn before buying a mega flooder.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Vinh built me an R50vnP XHP-50 shaved dome in 5000K and I absolutely love it. Thanks Vinh!

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Supporter
My friend just got his LE Dock version from Vinh two hours ago. He told me that it is super bright, even with batteries not yet fully charged.

I chose this light for him, when he asked me to help him select his first real led light, after I showed him my small collection.

His preliminary observations: He likes it a lot.

I instructed him to also purchase an additional regular cell and external charger, so he has additional option to charge up and power up the light.

I have every reason to expect that he will really love this light more and more as he gets more familiar with it.

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
according to three cree website, xhp50.2 is a good bump brighter then the 50.

This is bound to change for us as Vinhs mods are far from lab test environments.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
So i got the r50vn in xhp 50 dedome.. how is that different from xhp50.2 dome on?

Since when do you not know the purpose of dedoming an LED? Did someone poison your soup?

I bet it was that mean lady from I See Dead People movie. :thumbsdow