RA clicky or Nitecore Extreme??

cjs4760

Newly Enlightened
One additional thing about the NEX is that it has SF E Series compatible head. So you might be able to do some lego-ing w/ the existing SF bodies you have.

-C

mbassoc2003

Newly Enlightened
Bottom line is you get what you pay for.
If you ask "should I buy this vs. that" and you pick two lights of good repute, you've obviously done enough homework and reading to know what your talking about.
So the real question is, have you learnt enough in life to know that you get what you pay for, or not? It would seem as though many on the board do not. Certainly not the ones who haven't yet bought a quality flashlight, but think they have.

PetaBread

Enlightened
So the real question is, have you learnt enough in life to know that you get what you pay for, or not? It would seem as though many on the board do not. Certainly not the ones who haven't yet bought a quality flashlight, but think they have.

+10000000000000000000000 :whistle:

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore Extreme due to it's KISS UI. Can't accidentally switch modes with inadvertent presses of the switch in stressful situations.

have to really agree - any lights I have had to use for work under stress situations with clickie switch modes - you "will" accidentally stuff up - done it twice - then sold them quick smart - as my life means more than a fancy light interface IMHO.
Extreme for sure! its still a tough light.
Also JetBeam make some great/tough/reliable duty lights too(in the "M" series).

gollum

Enlightened
He has obviously never been introduced to BunBun.

Eerr sorry 'bout that
hope I wasn't out of line there Mr. Psicko#@*& si ...Pshycho Bunny...
... FLUFFY much easier at this time of night ..

and BunBun ... looks interesting if I had the time ...
is this a well known comic ?

bit off topic ...sorry :rolleyes:
nitecore has the U.I that I like

also mpkav... don't you guys have enough to carry around anyways?
good point on the surefire compatability with Ra (cjs4760) would suit you mpkav
RA is too big for (my)jeans pocket
nitecore fits (just)

Last edited:

Dan FO

Enlightened
If you have a Surefire 1 cell body go with the Extreme and lego. My Extreme head is on a Ti McGizmo Clicky body and it is rock solid with the best clip in the business bar none. Go with the Cree R2 Extreme if you do it.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a Surefire 1 cell body go with the Extreme and lego.

I've got three old SF L1's in a drawer somewhere, will they work? They have the original hi-low tailcap. I've also got an E1B that I'm not too fond of, maybe the tailcap off of that can be salvaged.

I'm out in rattlesnake territory, will have to try some Lego work when I get home in a couple of days.

zx7dave

Enlightened
seems to be a lot of clicky fans out there. Does anyone have any bad experiences with the nitecore??

The Ra is quite a bit bigger than the Nightcore extreme, but puts out less light. Also the factory clip on the Ra leaves a lot to be desired.
I think the Ra is a better built light, but for back up purposes to clip to your belt or similiar the Nitecore Extreme is better.
I have both so speaking from experience...

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got three old SF L1's in a drawer somewhere, will they work? They have the original hi-low tailcap. I've also got an E1B that I'm not too fond of, maybe the tailcap off of that can be salvaged.

I'm out in rattlesnake territory, will have to try some Lego work when I get home in a couple of days.

The L1's are still great lights and even the old ones sell for about the price of an Extreme in the marketplace...

They are also quite easily modded to become very up to date.

The E1B body will work with the Extreme head and the E1B head will normally work with the Extreme body so you can find the combination you prefer.

Sverre

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
Eerr sorry 'bout that
hope I wasn't out of line there Mr. Psicko#@*& si ...Pshycho Bunny...
... FLUFFY much easier at this time of night ..

bit off topic ...sorry :rolleyes:
nitecore has the U.I that I like

also mpkav... don't you guys have enough to carry around anyways?
good point on the surefire compatability with Ra (cjs4760) would suit you mpkav
RA is too big for (my)jeans pocket
nitecore fits (just)

We absolutely have to much to carry as it is!!! I have been in a couple situations when I havent charged my 7060 and it went dead in the middle of drama(NOT GOOD!!!) If I'm away from the car the only other light I have is my weapon light. I want something small, bright, and reliable as a backup. I am a big supporter of really good lights. I see so many other officers with junk lights it drives me nuts. Thanks again guys!!

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, new to the forum. I hope this topic hasn't been covered a million times. I'm a police officer and looking for a good small backup light to use at work. I own a number of surefires and use the pelican 7060 as my primary work light. Between the RA clicky and nitecore extreme which is better??Thanks!!

:welcome:

I'd get the RA Clicky of the two. I actually plan to get one in about a month myself.

Have you considered the SF E1B as your backup light (or do you already have one)? It's a great, tough-as-nails little light with a simple, hi-low interface. Sometimes, simple and tough are the best combination.

-Robert

mpkav

Newly Enlightened

I'd get the RA Clicky of the two. I actually plan to get one in about a month myself.

Have you considered the SF E1B as your backup light (or do you already have one)? It's a great, tough-as-nails little light with a simple, hi-low interface. Sometimes, simple and tough are the best combination.

-Robert

I have considered the E1B. I'm a fan of surefire lights but thought I might get something a little brighter!! I also want to expand out a little, I have a few surefires and wanted something a little different!!

sappyg

Enlightened
Hey guys, new to the forum. I hope this topic hasn't been covered a million times. I'm a police officer and looking for a good small backup light to use at work. I own a number of surefires and use the pelican 7060 as my primary work light. Between the RA clicky and nitecore extreme which is better??Thanks!!

i can't say which is the better of the two lights you mentioned but i did make the same decision between the two. though my needs are quite different than yours i went with the Ra clicky EDC T and have no complaints. in fact, i use to carry 2-3 lights and now i only carry the Ra b/c it is 2-3 lights in one great package. the programing is very simple yet you can have more choices than you will probably need. ATM all of my lights are backups to my Ra. they are getting a little dusty.
the extreme looks good but the jump in output is offset by the two handed UI deal.

mwaldron

Enlightened

I'm not really sure, it was popular a few years ago, I stopped reading daily about a year or so ago. Psycho's name brought it back to my head though.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought both, and kept only the Clicky. The Extreme is quite a bit brighter, and is built quite well. However, the Clicky is built even better, and has a much better UI, IMHO.

I sold the extreme for two reasons. First and most important, the UI, which seems so tantalizing, is made awkward by the stiff twist mechanism. And second, the EagleTac P10C is brighter, has a better beam, a current regulated medium (think 60 lumens for 8 hours), and a smoother twist mechanism.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
My NEX is pretty easy to use one handed. Type of lube on the o-ring is important for smooth operation. I use one with a bit of teflon in it. Krytox would probably be great.

Sverre

BRO

Newly Enlightened
I do not own the Nitecore Extreme and it is probably a good light.

I do own the RA 140 & 170 Clicky and I know these are some very well made lights. I just ran my RA 140 on the first Click (first click medium low) for over 11.5 hours on a used CR123 battery. During the 11.5 hours I would hit the burst beam, many times and hold it for a count of 100. I have dropped it more than once, it is easy to use, stong, reliable and very good run times. The reason I went with the first click test is that is the mode I use the most. Works for me.

I would feel very confident depending on this light out in the woods or in dark scary places. Good luck with your choice.

h2oflyer

Enlightened
Extreme ...... Brighter, mine is a one hander, simple UI, hidden strobe, IMO it can't be beat for simpicity.

Walter