Random, Daily Emails from Candle Power Forums

Alone In The Dark

Newly Enlightened
Question: Why did I just recently start receiving random, daily emails from [email protected]?

I have "officially" been a member here for over nine years. During that time nothing like this has previously happened. I have not changed any of the settings in my account. I still want to receive general news about the forum as well as notifications when posts are made in the threads that I am subscribed to. I do not, however, want to be spammed with random, daily emails.

Here are some examples of the email subjects being sent to me:

August 26 -- Maratac 2 x AA (rev 5) - thoughts?
August 25 -- Lumens or runtime?
August 24 -- Little Daimon from the fifties or sixties... of use again due to 21700!
August 23 -- Forum Designed light
August 22 -- help me choose my next light! please
August 21 -- hiya freinds lets talk light history!?

Jelly

Administrator
Staff member
CPF Supporter
We have enabled a newsletter generation addon.
There is an unsubscribe button at every newsletter if you do not wish to receive the newsletters.

Alone In The Dark

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your response, Jelly. Perhaps I am misunderstanding something here, or perhaps I need to further elaborate on what I perceive to be the issue.

There is an unsubscribe button at every newsletter if you do not wish to receive the newsletters.

I have seen the unsubscribe button at the bottom of every recent "newsletter" (if that is what you are choosing to call these new random, daily emails). It follows the statement in the email that reads, "You are receiving this email because you either registered as a member for CandlePowerForums or signed up for updates."

We have enabled a newsletter generation addon.

Here is the rub for me (and possibly for a lot of other folks here as well): I actually do want to receive forum news and updates. I have had the receive news and update emails option enabled in my profile settings for over nine years. It previously meant that I would occasionally receive real news and updates about the forum. Never before did it mean that I would be sent a daily serving of spam-like emails. What you are presently calling a "newsletter" is nothing more than a collection of automatically and very poorly generated links to recently started threads. Here is yesterday's example of this:

August 26 -- (delete) Maelstrom MXS - impressions and pics...

This is not news. Not only is this not news, but the "newsletter" link was generated after the author requested that the thread be deleted, removed the content, and apologized for having created a duplicate thread.

Again, this is not news. This is utter garbage.