RARE MAGLITES

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome!! I've been looking for one of each variety but the fleabay pictures are sooo bad it's hard to tell sometimes.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
The "hungry" panther light I have has the ® next to it, but I thought I bought it well before '96. Maybe not but I thought I owned it before the first Mrs. Fixer and I split up in '96. I'm pretty sure I bought one in about '91 yet perhaps she got that one in the divorce and I replaced it when I bought new dishes, ashtrays, silverware and furniture etc....

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "thin hungry" panther is the older one from early days. I like to refer to it as the hungry panther. The "well fed" panther is the current logo.

I'm confused about which one you call the hungry panther. Looking at my picture which one is it? I would think the left one is the well fed panther and the right one is the hungry panther... but then all newer Mini Maglites seem to have the hungry panther logo... :thinking:

I also still can't recognize a panther in those logos. :shrug:

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Hmmmm. Good point.

An ML300 I bought this summer has the well fed panther and an ML 50 I bought the same week has the hungry panther. Hadn't noticed until you pointed that out.

I say "thinner is older" because my oldest minimag has the thin one and every minimag I've bought since 2012 has the fat one.

Only way I knew it was a panther was reading an article where Tony Maglica said it was a panther, meaning always hungry and always on the prowl for enemies.
I always thought it was a house cat and figured they have great night vision so a Maglite gives you cat like night vision.... I've asked several people what it looks like to them and not one said "a panther"... some said "a goat" lol

Last edited:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only way I knew it was a panther was reading an article where Tony Maglica said it was a panther, meaning always hungry and always on the prowl for enemies.
I always thought it was a house cat and figured they have great night vision so a Maglite gives you cat like night vision.... I've asked several people what it looks like to them and not one said "a panther"... some said "a goat" lol

.... a goat....:crackup:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought it was a goat, or ram for years! :eek:

I didn't know there were two versions of the panther...it's amazing the variety of minor details in logos, font, stamped, etched, etc. over the years and they mostly go unnoticed by the vast majority.

Shonelikethesun

Newly Enlightened
Seeing all these beautiful mags makes me with I never traded mine. I still like the looks of these more than all the high end lights.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seeing all these beautiful mags makes me with I never traded mine. I still like the looks of these more than all the high end lights.

They are a timeless design! The common incans can still be picked up pretty cheap on the suction sites. They are a bunch of fun to mess around with especially for the price. I have some old 2D incans from the first couple years of production that I fixed up and use around the house as well as some high power LED and Incan lithium ion conversions.

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
They are a timeless design! The common incans can still be picked up pretty cheap on the suction sites. They are a bunch of fun to mess around with especially for the price. I have some old 2D incans from the first couple years of production that I fixed up and use around the house as well as some high power LED and Incan lithium ion conversions.

Just wanted to say i enjoyed reading your blog, some great info on there which is always great to read about. Thanks.

pred

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post there on the forum,
I am a long time flash light collector and earlier today I went into the basement in search of a Mag-lite as I am growing tired of all the colorful "Black" lights being sold today,
I was thinking of grabbing an old Mag-lite and putting a good quality LED in it and having something more fun and easier to see,
So I grabbed the box-o-lites off the shelf and bought them up stairs,
I noted that I had a few which I don't see anymore,
I thought the Purple was unusual until I found this posting about the rare mag-lite colors,
The lime green is a "C" cell which I don't see
The dark Pewter is a bronze color which I was so happy when I found it at Home Depot a long time ago,
And I remember finding the orange one and I was excited over that one, Just wish I remember where I found it, Im thinking Flea market but will test my memory over the next couple days and see if I can remember exactly where,
Anyway,
The green, Dark pewter and prance are new never used and as you see, The two were never opened,
The blue and purple were opened but never used and the two red ones got just a tad of use over the years,
The Green, Pewter and Orange are all dated 1999 on their perspective packages,
I just showed the wife and she just chuckled and said "Wow pretty"
Oh well,
At least she picked me ! !
So Ill try and post a pic here on my first post,
Thanks all,
Peter B

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Here's one, not really rare, maybe uncommon? Cleaned up pretty well. Different, with no diamond grip pattern on the barrel.

Yes, big thanks and two thumbs up to Liftd and the blog. It sure helped me to figure out the dates, generations, models, changes, etc.... I went through the same process with Western Electric dial phones about 25 yrs ago, and similarly, after you figure out all of that info, you want one of each (or more) ... and thx for helping me spot this one.:)

JT

Dn0BxHu.jpg
[/IMG]

turbodog

Flashlight Enthusiast

There was a pretty cool regulated incan dropin a while back. I grabbed 2 of them.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a long time flash light collector and earlier today I went into the basement in search of a Mag-lite as I am growing tired of all the colorful "Black" lights being sold today,
I was thinking of grabbing an old Mag-lite and putting a good quality LED in it and having something more fun and easier to see,
I thought the Purple was unusual until I found this posting about the rare mag-lite colors,
The dark Pewter is a bronze color which I was so happy when I found it at Home Depot a long time ago,
And I remember finding the orange one and I was excited over that one, Just wish I remember where I found it, Im thinking Flea market but will test my memory over the next couple days and see if I can remember exactly where,
Anyway,
The green, Dark pewter and prance are new never used and as you see, The two were never opened,
The blue and purple were opened but never used and the two red ones got just a tad of use over the years,
Oh well,
Thanks all,
Peter B

Hey, welcome to the forum and that's awesome! Some of those are pretty rare lights and worth a few $$$.

I would love to see pics because I think I have a bronze and copper but not pewter so I'm always looking to check them out.

The lime green and orange are especially rare. I'm also missing an orange and they are very tough to come by.

If you're having trouble posting pics feel free to shoot me an e-mail and I can host them for you too.

Last edited:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyway,
Oh well,
Thanks all,
Peter B

:welcome:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been in a drought for a while with new Mags but I finally had a nice find the other day. As I detailed above the stamped bezel lights are pretty rare and were made only for 1984. I recently found a red one!! Colors were very rare early on in Mini Mags and large lights so this was a nice surprise.

XLn5Oxp.jpg

It goes well with the rest of my 1984 first year Mini Mags. I'm only missing the AA Vari-Beam and the Zimmermann Bronze. I'd pay an arm and a leg for either light if someone has one for sale.

1w24PHJ.jpg

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very, no wait VERY nice collection. :twothumbs I'm wondering where/how you could find them. :thinking:
However... I doubt the camo was offered with a Kroll switch in 1984. :grin2:

Latest posts