RARE MAGLITES

Crumbly

Newly Enlightened
Yes I picked up the 50th anniversary and maglite racing with car from same seller "John" nice guy. Is the car with the number 15 the later version with less detail, it's a great maglite you have I haven't seen one of them.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, I figured. You beat me to those 50th Anniversary lights! :grin2: Great to see they went to another collector! Some lights I see sell that I really wanted and I ever know where they end up. I exchanged some messages with him and he is very knowledgeable. Those were done hard anodized and had die cut decals. They were switched to polished aluminum and screen printing later on for the Select Series lights.

Yes, the #15 is the later version.

Crumbly

Newly Enlightened
Nice thanks for the information. This is it's little brother.
CB3DABC0-8EE6-4735-9943-44766C20D200_zpsqdx6ml3l.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! I recently picked up a 1990 2C U.S. Air Force light. It looks to be closely related to willrx's Marines light. The prior owner told me they were purchased by Edwards Air Force base in Southern California for use among airmen on the base. The laser etched custom lights started around 1990 or so and it seems like the earliest went to customers close to Maglite's headquarters. The prior owner couldn't say too much about his experience but I know Edwards has been the site of many experimental air craft and several space shuttle landings so I can only imagine this light must have some great stories. He used it for 10 years while on base and took it with him when he retired in the early 2000s.

VJfxkDM.jpg

d0xXGMP.jpg

Crumbly

Newly Enlightened
Nice, I am sure if that Maglite could talk it would have some great tales.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I had a microstream talk to me once...

It said "zzztt, zzzzt zzzzzt", which translated to English meant "hey stupid, stop getting drool in the tailcap while I'm on during teeth hold". May that one RIP as the drool apparently fried something inside.

An incan mini mag once said "zztt, zzzzzt" which translated to "hey stupid, please don't drop me in 39° water while I'm on".... changed bulb and it still works today.

Crumbly

Newly Enlightened
5FF2B790-D3A9-4F8B-B7DD-9E3A928720E7_zpstk4nfqkw.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
679C0B29-DF6F-4976-BF0D-D680005DF9CA_zpsjtezhqsl.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG][I[/IMG]
Old 5D vari-beam paten pending, not sure of the exact year. It is in fairly good condition, came with original reflector and lens no battery corrosion, original switch still works fine. I have put in an aluminium op reflector, glass lens, tads bi-pin bulb holder, 20w bulb and 8 nimh 1/2 D cells. Struggling to charge cells though I have a titanium innovations charger which they don't fit properly. I think I need to condition the cells in a better charger. I wanted to keep this flashlight incandescent to keep its original feel plus I like the warm light you just don't get with led.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old 5D vari-beam paten pending, not sure of the exact year. It is in fairly good condition, came with original reflector and lens no battery corrosion, original switch still works fine. I have put in an aluminium op reflector, glass lens, tads bi-pin bulb holder, 20w bulb and 8 nimh 1/2 D cells. Struggling to charge cells though I have a titanium innovations charger which they don't fit properly. I think I need to condition the cells in a better charger. I wanted to keep this flashlight incandescent to keep its original feel plus I like the warm light you just don't get with led.

Very nice!! Looks like you have a nice collection you've been hiding. :)

That light is a 1980 because starting in 1979 and up until early 1981 the Maglite Patent was still pending. All lights from this time were misspelled "Paten" except the first 800 or so because of a die error. Vari-Beams weren't produced in 1979 so they have to be 1980 if stamped "Paten Pending". The 5Ds, 4Ds, and C cells didn't sell well so they were discontinued in 1981 after only 2 years and are the rarest ones today. C cells are especially rare. The 2 and 3Ds continued to be produced until either 1984 or 1985 when Maglite changed the style a little. They were never big sellers and you sure do have a nice one!!

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one in today for restoration I thought I'd share because it's a pretty rare light but also in very rough shape. It's a gold D cell and gold full size lights are very rare. I don't believe Maglite has a standard finish code for the full size lights in gold they just seem to produce special runs of them form time to time. This one is a 2D, 4,200,000 serial which makes it one of the first Panther lights, the newer style that Maglite changed over to in 1992. It also has the TM next to the Panther on the bezel which tells you it's from 1992 to 1996 when the Trademark was approved. For reference a brand new 2D is around a 30,000,000 serial so there have been a lot of these little 2Ds sold. The owner told me that it was one of the fist Panther 2Ds produced and used in special marketing to advertise to the new lights. It was obviously very well used afterwards and long forgotten with the batteries still inside.

I've gotten pretty good at removing old batteries so I'm going to restore this light and put her all back together again because even though it isn't a high dollar light it is a nice piece of Mag history. I think once I get the heavy black grease off and the corrosion all cleaned up it will be half way decent looking and definitely functional. I have 3 other full size gold anodized Mags but all are the non-letter serial, pre 1992 variety. Up until this one was sent to me I didn't know Mag did a Gold in the newer style lights. Stay tuned.... :)

SWyvZgi.jpg

He6eWR0.jpg

Crumbly

Newly Enlightened
That gold looks great, shame it was so neglected, looks like you have a bit of work to do on that one. Looks like even the switch is partially melted.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Crumbly, that is a sweet Vari, and Liftd, you definitely have your work cut out for you on that one! Looking forward to seeing it after it's done.

JT

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 4AA mini mag ontario, ca. and copy of mini mag by brinkman -4AA is 1 piece barrel

I had no idea there was a 4xAA Minimag.

certainly a unique device.

Looks like you've come over to the other side, incans! We'll make a believer out of you yet. :grin2:

I've researched that 4 AA out a bunch and in talking to some original Mag employees and other collectors the most common thread I find is that it was either an unreleased prototype or a one-off custom. I've never heard of them being available for retail sale anywhere. That light has the first generation bezel used only for 1984 so it was likely a prototype.

That's one light that makes a Maglite collection!! I have a Mag prototype too but nothing that cool!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Re: 4AA mini mag ontario, ca. and copy of mini mag by brinkman -4AA is 1 piece barrel

I wonder if perhaps Brinkmann made it, and op (or someone else) placed a minimag head on it and tailcap.

There once was a Brinkmann made minimag clone that head and tail could swap.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast

Most of the Brinkmann's I've seen allowed the head to be swapped with a Maglite but not the tail cap. Although, it is very possible they changed the tail cap threads later in production to try to avoid the impending Maglite lawsuit. A 4 AA light is such an odd size I'd imagine it to be a prototype of some sort.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

3874542654_5c4cb53a77.jpg

The gap in between the grip knurling almost looks like they joined two 2 cell tubes together somehow to make it a 4 cell. I wonder what bulb it used?

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure why I had a reply on this.

No problem admitting you were oggling some Maglites! :naughty:

Quick update on a light I recently found and one I've been working on. I am a big fan of the 1st Gen, 1984, Stamped Bezel Mini Mags. I don't think these have a big following but they are super tough to find and I love collecting them. I think I am finally nearing a complete collection after years of collecting. I recently picked up a 1st Gen Silver which I've never seen before. For 1984 only the bezels on these Mini Mags were stamped (rolled) instead of laser etched. Other than that the differences are extremely minor though. What's really cool about this one is it is brand new in box! The box in the 1985-1991 style so they must have had some of theses stamped bezel lights left over and packaged them in the new packaging. The insert is correct so I'm pretty sure it's all original.

QmorhnR.jpg

b4Y2i81.jpg

2wmoaOY.jpg

I'm now only missing a Zimmerman Bronze and an AA Vari-Beam. I have a lead on an AA Vari-Beam and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I still don't have a lead on a Zimmerman Bronze though. The Zimmerman Bronze is a bronze finish done as a special order for a Zimmerman, an Austrian retailer, in 1984 only so they are super rare. Here's most of the rest of my early Mini Mag collection. All are stamped bezels.

moN4wbd.jpg

Also, I'm mostly complete restoring my Gold 1992 2D. It's come a long way. I got both batteries out and all of the grease and grime off. I just have to tinker with the switch a little and clean up the threads yet. Here's some before and after pics. Reminds me of C3PO from a New Hope.

SWyvZgi.jpg

xh69djr.jpg

Thanks guys!!!