RARE MAGLITES

1pt21

Enlightened
HOLY **** those are epic... Never seen OR heard of them before, but I was well aware of the Y2K scare. Man, it was real.

I still remember; to this day, that my dad (worked for the phone company known as NJ Bell Back then) had some computers to work from home that were literally stamped "Y2K Compliant" on them!! What made them "Compliant", sped the internal clock up to Jan 1st, 2000 at 0001 and make sure they still worked??? Haha!

Awesome lights :twothumbs

This type of stuff is why I love CPF.

I haven't seen much action here lately so let's kick it up a notch!

I recently acquired 2 Y2K 3D Maglites. These were produced in 1999 and I believe there was some kind of marketing done with these for the supposed power outages and mass destruction brought about by the Y2K crisis but I haven't been able to find any ads or anything like that. They have no knurling and they have a screen printed globe with the year 2000 on one side and Mag 2000 on the other.

These 2 lights are brand new, never used. They are only 3 serial numbers apart and are as close to sequential as I've ever seen. There was also an AA Mini Maglite version done too but I unfortunately don't have one.

For those interested I did a full write up on my blog at: http://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/2018/04/1999-y2k-maglites.html

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ran onto a 7D Maglite that is in pretty decent condition. It has a 9K serial number and the "paten pending" stamp.

It came from the original owner in CA who had used it for camping and fishing trips. It's starting to fade to the slight blue/purple tint that some of them get, although my camera doesn't really pick it up.

Pre letter 2 through 7 D cell Maglites.

Nice!! The 7Ds are the holy grail of Maglite collecting! That is one sharp looking early serial. I like how a lot of those really early lights faded to a nice purple. Def adds character to the light!

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
HOLY **** those are epic... Never seen OR heard of them before, but I was well aware of the Y2K scare. Man, it was real.

I still remember; to this day, that my dad (worked for the phone company known as NJ Bell Back then) had some computers to work from home that were literally stamped "Y2K Compliant" on them!! What made them "Compliant", sped the internal clock up to Jan 1st, 2000 at 0001 and make sure they still worked??? Haha!

Awesome lights :twothumbs

This type of stuff is why I love CPF.

Thanks!! The good old days before Verizon, lol. I think they were Bell Atlantic back then IIRC. Whereabouts in NJ are ya from? I grew up in Piscataway.

1pt21

Enlightened
Thanks!! The good old days before Verizon, lol. I think they were Bell Atlantic back then IIRC. Whereabouts in NJ are ya from? I grew up in Piscataway.

I'm right down the road from Piscataway in Edison, born and raised (now married, old and still living here :rolleyes:). Yup, I believe the nomenclature went something along the lines of; Bell System > New Jersey Bell > Bell Atlantic > Verizon...

The days when we all communicated over copper, now long gone in favor of cellular & VOIP. There are very few POTS lines still in use (mainly used for security systems and such things that would require the phone to work if say power went out).

My dad used to take me to all of the Central Stations around Central NJ when I was a kid, and sometimes the Main Station in New Brunswick. What a sight to behold; rows upon rows up to the ceiling of equipment and the sounds of relays clicking every time someone picked up or hung up a phone, I got so excited when I was allowed to tag along!

Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some mags out there with one of the Bell Systems logo engraved. Now THAT would be an awesome gift for my dad to add to his display of old / cool phone equipment (he even has a fully functional Pay Phone). Great, now I have another light to hunt down :laughing:

1pt21

Enlightened
I've seen some Bell Atlantic intrinsically safe numbers by Bright Star, Fulton etc at eBay but no Maglites.

Hmm, they'd just be going in his display anyway he doesn't care what they are. I'll check that out, thanks Byk!!!

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't posted anything here for a long time and I still do have a few more lights I haven't shared from my vast Maglite collection yet so I figured I'd show one of the more interesting Maglites I have. This is the oldest Maglite I know of that's owned outside of Mag Instrument. It has an incredibly low serial number of 932 and it's a 4D. I've seen lower serial C cells but C cell production didn't start until 1981 and this is definitely a 1979 light based on it's unusual features. Fore more info about 1979 lights I did a blog post on them here: http://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/2017/07/1979-first-year-lights.html

VWtnnN7.jpg

What makes this light extra special is that it's a "test color" or a finish that Maglite was trying out at the time. This is done in Burgundy which unfortunately didn't make production due to a low demand. It's shown below next to the standard red to show the difference.

950VHL9.jpg

Being so early this light also has several other unique features that show what could have been. Both the serial and "Patent Pending" stamping are filled with white paint and the knurling is extra sharp. Also, it's the only light I've ever seen with "Patent Pending" spelled correctly. All other lights leave out the t in Patent and are spelled "Paten Pending".

eCpIsV1.jpg

This light came from an ex-Maglite employee and he told me that the light was hand tooled to check production methods and is likely why it has some of the differences it does. I think it's pretty neat to see a Maglite this old, especially one in a custom finish and that was hand made by one of the original Maglite employees. This is far and away one of my favorite lights I own and probably one of the rarest too. I've only ever seen a handful of Maglites this old.

Alone In The Dark

Newly Enlightened
I have been away from the forum for a while. I am pleased to see that some of you have furthered your already amazing collections and kept this thread going strong. :twothumbs

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!!

Nice C Cells Icarus!! I'm slowly building my C cell collection. They are tough to find though!!

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a couple new to me lights in that I thought I'd share with y'all while I'm still doing a little research on them for my blog. Hope ya enjoy!

The first one is one that I showed a while back but and was finally able to purchase after much persuasion and haggling. It is a NIB 1988 6D which itself is fairly rare. I've shown a pic of the light below.

Hf03ba3.jpg

What makes this one extra rare is its odd serial number. It has the correct amount of numbers but is for an older ~1984 or so light. It also has an A on the end which I've never seen before. The first thing that came to mind was that it was an "error" light and was mis-stamped not unlike Mr. Fixer's upside down bezel mini Mag. Maglite has had very tight quality control and I've only seen a handful of error lights so that would be extremely unusual especially because in the 1992 and prior lights there were no letters in the serials so you wouldn't think one would be in the stamping set. Shown below is a shot of the serial.

GhmNNNZ.jpg

I have a couple contacts from the early days of Maglite and neither of them could give me a definite answer but they did provide 2 possible explanations:

1 - The head of Maglite's sales during the early days thought this was simply an error in the stamping. He said Mag would often try out new techniques during the production process and then most of the prototype or trial lights were recycled. He said that the stamping machine may have been setup with different dies or the dies may have rolled over once they got too high and resulted in an odd number combination that slipped through Mag's quality control.

2 - A machinist at Maglite vaguely remembered hearing that lights that came back for warranty issues had their serial numbers re-used but with an A suffix if they were not repairable. This would be similar to a star note for those who collect currency. He never actually saw this happen but did hear about it. He said likely a customer or dealer returned serial number 87,325 but for whatever reason Maglite could not fix the light so it was discarded and the serial number was re-stamped on a new body and sent back to the dealer or customer or another dealer.

What's interesting is this light came from a fellow in Ohio who purchased it from a police supply store. He did not send back a prior one for a warranty issue and in fact always used his smaller 3D Mag.

If anyone has any info or theories I'd love to hear them. I'mrunning out of space so I'll psot the other light I got in a new post.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
The second light is one that was sent to me for restoration. At first I thought it was a Vari-Beam but it is actually a Maglite and the owner had quite a story behind it. It' s a ~750,000 serial 3D which is from around 1985, right around the time Vari-Beam production was ending. The original owner owned a large electrical contracting business in Iowa and needed a really good flashlight. He went to a local sporting goods store to buy one but didn't want an "off the shelf" model. He wanted something a little more custom. He ordered a silver lanyard ring end cap and bezel in place of the black ones. This light retailed for about $120 in 2018 dollars with the options so it was one of the most expensive flashlights at the time.

cxdeXO6.jpg

v4yGBk4.jpg

This is the only silver lanyard ring end cap I've ever seen so it's likely only a small batch was done. I've never seen a Maglite part # for this. It's also the only silver TM bezel I've seen. I was under the impression that silver didn't come until the late 80s. I am kind of thinking this was done as kind of a replacement Vari-Beam as production was ending. The light came to me with all 3 batteries stuck inside of it as well as a stuck end cap. The switch was in perfect shape luckily. It took me an hour or so of work each night for 2 weeks to get the batteries out and the light back up and running. I only damaged the light in one small spot removing the end cap that's hardly noticeable. Shown below is a pic of the light with one of my Vari-Beams from around a year earlier.

7hDhmXP.jpg

itVrnZl.jpg

Crumbly

Newly Enlightened
Hi I have read this thread a couple of times some awesome maglites:thumbsup: I have a few maglites myself my wife says I have a disease.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs

Very nice!!! They sure are rare. I think that's the most complete Signature Series set I've ever seen. In fact I've never seen a #31 Mike Skinner light before.

Question for ya, it looks like there are a couple different shades of blue. Is that correct? I think at least the #2 Rusty Wallace light is midnight blue. I'm actually working on a Nascar and Maglite Racing post for my blog now.

Crumbly

Newly Enlightened
Yes the far left and far right are both midnight blue, the same with minimag and solitaire signature lights there are a lot more in the minimag size though. I am not sure if there are more in 3D size, if anyone knows of any I would love to know. I know that my photo is not very good it took me ages to resize and host it.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's more than I've ever seen so I'm going to guess you have them all or very close to. In fact I've never seen the #31 light at all before. I have a small collection of Nascar and Mag Racing lights but I'd eventually like to complete it.

2oqdKOw.jpg

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice!!! Did you recently pick up the Nascar 50th Anniversary and Maglite Racing ones from ebay? If so, the seller was a longtime Mag employee, he put up a bunch of tough to find lights. There are actually 2 versions of the one with the car. The later ones had less detail on the car due to some QA/QC issues. I have a pic below of each on for reference.

KucvQ01.jpg